Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am doing some engine work on my Gen 4 Track Bike and the most expensive step is a Serdi Valve Job:

Parts:
1) Intake Valves, Springs & Spring Retainers ($850.00)
2) Exhaust Valves, Springs & Retainers ($700.00)
3) Valve Spring Keepers ($125.00)

Parts Total: $1675.00

Two questions:

1) Is the Serdi Valve Job worth it or necessary for installing race cams, a thinner head gasket, and Milling the Cylinder Head deck?
2) If so, anyone know where I can get this much cheaper than listed above?

Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am doing some engine work on my Gen 4 Track Bike and the most expensive step is a Serdi Valve Job:

Parts:
1) Intake Valves, Springs & Spring Retainers ($850.00)
2) Exhaust Valves, Springs & Retainers ($700.00)
3) Valve Spring Keepers ($125.00)

Parts Total: $1675.00

Two questions:

1) Is the Serdi Valve Job worth it or necessary for installing race cams, a thinner head gasket, and Milling the Cylinder Head deck?
2) If so, anyone know where I can get this much cheaper than listed above?

Thanks
Wow, I would love to see the results of this. Who is doing the work, and what will the labor be too? Also what are the projected gains?

What about a port and polish job, or with these heads its now unnecessary?

Sorry, adding more questions and no answers, but this has piqued my interest

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No worries about the additional questions. Attack Performance in Huntington Beach, CA is going to do the work. I decided not to Port and polish but am Milling and lapping the cylinder head deck along with Race Cams, thinner head gasket, and dynotune. The cost/benefit of port and polish was just not there for me. They said the benefit for the gen 4 is not as great as other bikes like the R6.

The labor for the valve job is 300 or so. I am committed to the Serdi Valve job but not sure if I am going to shell out the cost to replace the springs etc.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
cooper performance here in ga. does all my deck and valve seat work. he cuts seats with a newnan fixed contour bb setup, same used for f1 and nascar engines, most precise available, single blade goes in and radiuses the seat insert out perfectly from the botom to the combustion chamber. no fixed angle cutters. u can ck it out on the net. i pay about 250 for vj and deck. good decision to have seats recontoured, good power increase. no not necessary, just good power adder, capenter claims 7 hp increase for his porting on gen 4, about 200 per hp, and i bet the majority of that is realized from his full radius vj, which u will have covered. do the seats and deck, performance and dollar wise, like u, i would seriously question those valve train upgrades.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Here's some pricing thrown in from a high-end builder:

1. SS top end. Here we do the top end only. Deck head, swap out head gasket for kit one we find your engine needs best, full radius valve job, degree oem cams, swap out tensioner for manual one. $1,500

2. SBK top end. Same as above but with complete reworking of the cylinder head. This is a good head stock but we have found ways to improve it. $2,250

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. My understanding is that replacing the valves will ensure that the valve seals perfectly after all the work. I didn't realize the valves were just as expensive as all the other work combined. I will let you know how the work turns out and also the before and after dyno work

1 - 6 of 6 Posts