Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a plastic based product that does the same function as bondo? I have a few scuffs/cracks in my bodywork that I want to fill in prior to priming & painting. Is bondo fine? I remember reading somewhere here about 2 months ago that someone wrote about a plastic paste/liquid that solidified as hard as metal. Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I used a fiberglass repair kit you can get at any autobody shop. Its a 2 part resin and a fiberglass cloth. You dont need the cloth to fill cracks, but you can use it on the back side to reinforce the body panel. It sands well and takes paint great.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
champ91 said:
I used a fiberglass repair kit you can get at any autobody shop. Its a 2 part resin and a fiberglass cloth. You dont need the cloth to fill cracks, but you can use it on the back side to reinforce the body panel. It sands well and takes paint great.
+1 same here:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
champ91 said:
So you just use the resin without the cloth?

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Afterburner said:
So you just use the resin without the cloth?
If you just have cracks then the resin would work but you may want to put some cloth on the backside to reinforce it. I had to use the cloth on mine since I put some pretty big holes in my race plastics. I used the cloth and resin and then covered it over with some bondo, sanded it and painted over it.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
Afterburner said:
Is there a plastic based product that does the same function as bondo? I have a few scuffs/cracks in my bodywork that I want to fill in prior to priming & painting. Is bondo fine? I remember reading somewhere here about 2 months ago that someone wrote about a plastic paste/liquid that solidified as hard as metal. Any help would be great. Thanks!
just a reminder if you have a crack stop drill it before you apply any bonding agents or resins :wink:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
There is also a process called plastic welding but I was never able to try it.
You essentially drill the stop holes trey mentioned and then sand a V into the body work and melt some abs plastic and fill the hole. You are using ABS plastic on ABS plastic so it goes together perfectly. Sand and repaint or color match the ABS plastic.
I could never find ABS plastic at any hobby shop locally.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
I know it isn't a local hobby shop, but www.eastwood.com carries the ABS welding kit, as well as the ABS welding rods if you just need them and not the kit.
And Eastwood is good to deal with... or at least they were several years back when I got some car stuff from them. :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts