Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, real simple, Computers/Laptops are hardwired and wirelessly connected to the router. I want a password screen to pop up when i click on a shared drive. So if i am on the laptop and want to access my main computer shared drive, i need to insert a password before i am allowed any kind of access, vice versa. I tried cnet.com for a free deal, its all like 30day trial. Anything free out there or something i am not seeing in the WinXP setup? Nothing more complicated than just a password prompt.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
everything you need is built into Windows. Go to the folder you want, tools, folder options, veiw tab, uncheck "use simple file sharing".

next create a local user acct, then creat the share only giving that use permissions to the share.

map the drive from the remote computer (hardwired or wireless make no difference). the login will be pcname\username and the the password.

It's all spelled out in the handy dandy "Help and Support" in your Start menu

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I need to do this one of these days, network both my hardwired desktop and my wireless laptop.

If you dont mind Miykl I may pm you and see if you can give me some quick advice...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Don't forget that in Windows you have to set two levels of permissions. There's the share level which Mikyl talks about and then there's file level permissions.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
ZX10 Guy said:
Don't forget that in Windows you have to set two levels of permissions. There's the share level which Mikyl talks about and then there's file level permissions.
no file level if fat32. Only share and folder. Need to be ntfs for file level. Then you have share, folder, and file level. next step... create an active directory domain.. :mrgreen:

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
sneaky said:
I need to do this one of these days, network both my hardwired desktop and my wireless laptop.

If you dont mind Miykl I may pm you and see if you can give me some quick advice...
PM away... won't promise good advise, but I'll tell ya something! :badteeth:

·
Registered
764 Posts
miykl said:
no file level if fat32. Only share and folder. Need to be ntfs for file level. Then you have share, folder, and file level. next step... create an active directory domain.. :mrgreen:
Yeah, I made the assumption that everyone uses NTFS. If there isn't a compelling reason for someone to stay on FAT32, then they should be on NTFS anyways. Not only for security but just the basic file system is so much better with NTFS.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
ZX10 Guy said:
Yeah, I made the assumption that everyone uses NTFS. If there isn't a compelling reason for someone to stay on FAT32, then they should be on NTFS anyways. Not only for security but just the basic file system is so much better with NTFS.
are consumer machines shipping ntfs now? Last I looked the default was fat32 and ntfs had to be selected. It's been forever since i quoted out a personal machine for someone. Personally I NEVER keep the factor build. Always blow it away and start with a clean install. ...even with my work laptop... they thought they were slick with their BS monitoring software. join the domain? Never!! hahahahahahah :badteeth:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Having bought two new laptops recently, it's a mix. The Dell comes with a few partitions on their factory install. One is a FAT partition for their diagnostic tools, the other is for their Media Direct program on a FAT partition, a recovery partition on FAT, and lastly the actual OS partition which is NTFS.

The Acer I got had two partitions both were FAT which I thought was pretty ridiculous.

But like you've said, I alway do a fresh install to get rid of the bloatware. In the case of the Acer, the reinstall removed a security issue that was present with the factory install. An active X file would have allowed someone with a malicious website to launch stuff on your desktop without needing admin access.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Guys, don't forget that you have to go into the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy, expand "Local Policies" and then on "Security Options". In the right-hand pane you'll find a bunch of settings. You have to change the one called "Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts". Double click this entry and change it from "Guest only..." to "Classic - local users...". I can send you some screenshots if you need.
-Larry

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
ZX10 Guy said:
The Acer I got had two partitions both were FAT which I thought was pretty ridiculous.

But like you've said, I alway do a fresh install to get rid of the bloatware. In the case of the Acer, the reinstall removed a security issue that was present with the factory install. An active X file would have allowed someone with a malicious website to launch stuff on your desktop without needing admin access.
you can also convert a fat 32 partition to ntfs (stolen straight from the "Help"...I swear by that and MS knowledge base)

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
  1. Open the Command Prompt window.
  2. In the command prompt window, type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs
    For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.
Notes
  • To open a command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
  • You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.