Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took the plunge and yanked them bastids tonight. I left the rod in place for quick, easy replacement if i don't like it. I made some peliminary fuel adjustments based solely on conjecture (sp?). I hope to take a ride tomorrow and see what the results are. I expect some lag in the low mids until I get the fuel right. Half the fun is playing with it anyway... we'll see.

·
Registered
46 Posts
miykl said:
So I took the plunge and yanked them bastids tonight. I left the rod in place for quick, easy replacement if i don't like it. I made some peliminary fuel adjustments based solely on conjecture (sp?). I hope to take a ride tomorrow and see what the results are. I expect some lag in the low mids until I get the fuel right. Half the fun is playing with it anyway... we'll see.
Here's a PDF file showing my map with the secondary throttle bodies removed. My signature line shows the other mods.

I apologize for the PDF file. I have an old laptop that I can't hook to my network at home. I had to download the map from the bike and copy the numbers by hand...

jack

Attachments

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gotta work!! I'll tweek the map some tonight then take it out to bike night. Hopefully I can get Pesky or some other known bike to go make a few runs to see how it performs upper mids and on top. The rest will have to be tuned butt dyno style until I decide whether or not to get a full exhuast system.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
miykl said:
The rest will have to be tuned butt dyno style until I decide whether or not to get a full exhuast system.
Crispin is getting a full system you mis well. It seems everyone is doing it these days. Me I'm happy with my boring slip-on. The gearing is what will bring me speed.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BNninja said:
Crispin is getting a full system you mis well. It seems everyone is doing it these days. Me I'm happy with my boring slip-on. The gearing is what will bring me speed.
I'm torn. I really like the look and sound of my slip on. Plus not getting the full system would put me half way to a set of BST wheels which would probably make more of a performance gain than the full system. We'll see. When the cruiser is sold I'm likey to go a bit crazy and just up and order everything. it's been known to happen. Joys of being single...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
we are standing by...

breathes held...

my thoughts

Any gains you may find (most likely on the top only) will be at a sacefice to the driveability of the bike.

I think you are getting too hung up trying to beat that R1

Imagine your bike all choppy and unsmooth at Deals Gap.

Don't get too hung up on the street racing.

Keep your bike streetable and fun!

·
Registered
46 Posts
crispin said:
we are standing by...
Any gains you may find (most likely on the top only) will be at a sacefice to the driveability of the bike.

You're in for a surprise. I'm staying up late tonight to watch for the results...

jack

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Miykl... being from New Orleans myself and only moving 8 months ago and having to hear my best friend with an R1 talk about the "King of 3127" being a damn 04 R1.... make me proud put it on his ass!!!!

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nolaZX10 said:
Miykl... being from New Orleans myself and only moving 8 months ago and having to hear my best friend with an R1 talk about the "King of 3127" being a damn 04 R1.... make me proud put it on his ass!!!!
Yup, 3127 is Pesky's road. Might as well put a sign up.

First impressions. As most would assume, nothing is lost on top. Gains are questionable, I didn't get to run against anyone tonight. I did do a series of 4th gear roll ons with a completely stock 04 R1 with a rider that is about 10-20 lbs heavier than I am. We started at about 55 mph and my bike would just walk away. This could have alot to do with rider weight and gearing. "Carberation" is very smooth and linear. There is no lurching, coughing, or anything else that would upset the chasis. There is a noticable decrease in power in second gear at 55mph. I used to snatch the front wheel off the groud effortlessly. it now just does a low power wheely that rises with RPM's. This would indicate a loss of torque in that range. It may be cured with fuel adjustment. My current map is very questionable. I do have some lugging if I go from small throttle positions to WOT quickly. I'm going to add some fuel in the 20 % and 40% range between 3500 rpm and 6500 rpm and I think I'll increase the amount and duration of fuel added with the accerator pump feature.

For me, this is more about something to do with the bike. It's part of the hobbie, trying new/different mods. Beating Mr Pesky would be just icing on the cake. All I have to do is find a road with 2 or more cuves and I can leave him like he never threw a leg over the bike, so there isn't much to prove. Just good fun and something to shoot for. I refuse to lose my low end for gains on top. If remapping doesn't fix the current reduction in the low end the butterflies will go right back in. A custom map may be on the menu. I found out one of our local shops now has the "interlink" (??) software that takes the tuner out of the equation. May be worth the $250.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jr4488 said:
You're in for a surprise. I'm staying up late tonight to watch for the results...

jack
Sorry I couldn't come back tonight touting improved everything. maybe with some more fuel tuning...

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
crispin said:
Imagine your bike all choppy and unsmooth at Deals Gap.

Don't get too hung up on the street racing.

Not hung up on street racing at all. Just some fun on Sundays. As the bike stands it would suck at Deals Gap. The Gap is a 1st gear road on the 10 with few chances to hit 2nd (for me at least). The 90 degree uphill right hand turns would lack the drive it had before removal of the butterflies. As I said before, if this isn't corrected with mapping they are going right back in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
nolaZX10 said:
I've got a tricked out R1:

2004 Red R1 - Graves full system - Graves block-off plates (AIS removal) - BMC race filter - USB Powercommander - Powercommander Quick Shifter - Custom map - Graves frame sliders - ProImpact bar ends - ProImpact swingarm spools - ProImpact clutch protector - Graves fender eliminator - LP turn signals front and rear - CRG mirrors - CRG clutch lever - Greggs custom mirror blockoffs - Galfer brake lines front and rear - GYTR rearsets - Puig windscreeen - Ohlins steeging damper - Graves velocity stacks - Perelli Diablo Corsa - CRG brake lever (thanks Peter!) - Stomp Design tank grip - Graves billet case covers - Ohlins shock with remote preload - Ohlins R & T forks - Brembo Brakes - Secondary throttle valves removed - Custom machined triple clamp - kickstand switch removed - sprocket cover removed - Amsoil 10w-40 - Valvoline synthetic brake fluid - NKG Uridium plugs - Brembo 19mm master cylinder - MXL Pista data logger - Marchesini forged 10 spoke mags - AXIS Design iron rotors -

I've only had my ZX-10 for a two weeks, but I've got to say, it's a much stronger bike and it's more fun to ride. The steering is faster, but the brakes aren't as good...

jack

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
miykl said:
My current map is very questionable. I do have some lugging if I go from small throttle positions to WOT quickly. I'm going to add some fuel in the 20 % and 40% range between 3500 rpm and 6500 rpm and I think I'll increase the amount and duration of fuel added with the accerator pump feature.
You may be going the wrong direction. As you can see from the map I posted, the stock bike runs way rich in the lower part of the mid-range. Try leaning it out.

Also, do you still have the exhaustpipe valve hooked up?...

jack

1 - 20 of 97 Posts