Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Cons: only thing i heard off loss slight low end TQ

Pro: Everything lol but umm exhaust slightly louder, get you HP back that its reduces,

and do remember you will need a SERVO Eliminator Kit when you remove your servo motor .. you can either buy it or make your own for $9 lol ..

here's how you do it on a second gen .. it should be similar to do in the 3rd gen also .. was very easy took i want to say 30 minutes max ..

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=104186

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I am not going to say what is right or wrong, but I will add a some quotes from another very informative thread. These are from Ivan, a very reputable tuner of all model zx10's. Again this is not a set rule, just someone with good experience's opinion.

Originally Posted by Ivan
Personally, I would never remove the sub-plates on a ZX10.... any year ZX10.
They lose midrange and low rpm power if you give too much throttle. I have proven this time and time again in my shop over the years.

The sub plates are there to prevent stalling and tumbling air.... if you did a roll on race with someone who had a proper tune with the plates in and the opening rate set correctly and you have no plates from 4000 rpm in 2nd gear, you would lose.

I know what people like about having no plates... the throttle is a bit more sensitive.... that's because they never bothered to get set up properly.

Most bikes with very large throttle bodies that have the plates removed lose a couple HP as well on the top end due to tumbling less streamlined "straightened" air

To each his own...

Ivan

The thread this is talked about is here http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=117658&page=4

Its more about de-restricting the gen 4, but there is some good discussion about secondaries as well that can be applied to all gen's. Otherwise search, there are a lot of discussions about this topic.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Cons: only thing i heard off loss slight low end TQ

Pro: Everything lol but umm exhaust slightly louder, get you HP back that its reduces,

and do remember you will need a SERVO Eliminator Kit when you remove your servo motor .. you can either buy it or make your own for $9 lol ..

here's how you do it on a second gen .. it should be similar to do in the 3rd gen also .. was very easy took i want to say 30 minutes max ..

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=104186
This is incorrect. The original post is referencing the secondary butterflies in the throttle bodies, not the exhaust. The secondaries are computer controlled through a servo motor like the exhaust valve is, but there is no eliminator that can be installed. And the link you posted was for the exhaust, not this discussion, just so you know.

What Teeks posted above is basically the consensus on them. Removing them on the Gen 4 will gain top end simply because that's how they are used to restrict the motor mainly. Traction control is also effected with removal. The earlier Gen's see some benefit, but also some drawbacks as there are trade-offs to each modification. Most people simply unbolt the flies on the shaft and leave the motor and shaft in place to prevent the FI warnings from removing it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Maybe I'm crazy but I felt more bottom end removing the flies and I never tuned for it either. Also just cause you loose hp on the dyno doesn't necessarily mean it will be slower in the real world. I just pulled the files out of my homeboys gsxr 750 yesterday and he called me this morning saying he loved it! Using the throttle does take more finesse but who doesn't need to learn better throttle control anyway?

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
This is incorrect. The original post is referencing the secondary butterflies in the throttle bodies, not the exhaust. The secondaries are computer controlled through a servo motor like the exhaust valve is, but there is no eliminator that can be installed. And the link you posted was for the exhaust, not this discussion, just so you know.

What Teeks posted above is basically the consensus on them. Removing them on the Gen 4 will gain top end simply because that's how they are used to restrict the motor mainly. Traction control is also effected with removal. The earlier Gen's see some benefit, but also some drawbacks as there are trade-offs to each modification. Most people simply unbolt the flies on the shaft and leave the motor and shaft in place to prevent the FI warnings from removing it.
http://www.servobuddy.com/Throttle-Buddy_c_7.html

Depending on the bike i can be installed :welcome:

But i guess on the 3rd gen it cant, unless it is the same than the 4th gen.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
http://www.servobuddy.com/Throttle-Buddy_c_7.html

Depending on the bike i can be installed :welcome:

But i guess on the 3rd gen it cant, unless it is the same than the 4th gen.
I knew someone would throw out that link. :wink: That's really the only one I know of though and I'm pretty sure it's not one of the homemade types. Just trying to put everyone on the same page that we're NOT talking about the exhaust servo here.

Good info though!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
very good answers guys..

ive seen pictures of ivans tre open the secondaries at around 3000 revs...were as standard they were opening at 7000 revs...so his mod opens the plates early and this helps to alleviate the stumbling low down..

Now you have my attention. I have been on the fence the last couple of weeks on whether or not I wanted to put my fly's back in on my gen 3. It was one of the first things I removed when I got it. I do have an ATRE unit (I didn't use Ivans as I wanted to keep my gear indicator) but I dont know if theirs works identically to Ivans. I know its affects the timing, and the off throttle fueling, but I dont know if it opens the fly's earlier. I think I am going to have to find a way to find out, if so I would be all for re-installing them. But I really dont want to send out my ecu just to have the rev limit raised and to have the fly's open earlier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts