Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an o7 ZX-10 with an Area P half system 2 1/2 core, & a power commander. I was wondering what would happen if I took the secondaries out of the throttle bodies & put block offs on while I was in there? Would it help me or hurt me? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've done both and seems to help some. Don't really notice any big difference other than seems to be more responsive at start-up.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Hey guys, I have an o7 ZX-10 with an Area P half system 2 1/2 core, & a power commander. I was wondering what would happen if I took the secondaries out of the throttle bodies & put block offs on while I was in there? Would it help me or hurt me? Thanks for any input!
A lot of people swear by removing the secondaries, and others don't. Im not going to do it simply because it only helps down low, a TRE will almost accomplish the same thing, and it is most of the time not a reversable mod as usually 1 of the 8 screws get f#cked during removal and their is no part # for them.

The block off plates, YES!

How do you like the AREA P?

JJ

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
do a search. they only dramatic change you will get would be from the secondaries.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
A lot of people swear by removing the secondaries, and others don't. Im not going to do it simply because it only helps down low, a TRE will almost accomplish the same thing, and it is most of the time not a reversable mod as usually 1 of the 8 screws get f#cked during removal and their is no part # for them.

The block off plates, YES!

How do you like the AREA P?

JJ
what!?! a tre doesnt come close to what removing the secondaries offers. as a matter of fact you dont receive any hp at all! and as far as it being "un-reversable", given you were to strip out any screw and then wasnt satisfied w the gain in power and wanted to replace them im sure there are plenty of substitute ways to replace the screw. Such as a nut a bolt combo w some jb weld.

·
Registered
543 Posts
There was another thread about this same topic. And one of the guyz actually took the liberty of doing a dyno before and after removing the butterflies. His chart showed that he gain like 5 or more horses but lose 1 lbs of torque. I have some velocity stacks, block offs and an air filter to install. I figured when I go through the trouble of removing all those parts to get to the throttle bodies I mine as well do as much as possible because it's a little bit of work to get that far. Amongst the other things I am going to do is remove the secondaries. But there was a discusion that your gonna have to remove the butterfly valve in the catalic converter/headers. Maybe you all can shine some light on that one.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
what!?! a tre doesnt come close to what removing the secondaries offers. as a matter of fact you dont receive any hp at all! and as far as it being "un-reversable", given you were to strip out any screw and then wasnt satisfied w the gain in power and wanted to replace them im sure there are plenty of substitute ways to replace the screw. Such as a nut a bolt combo w some jb weld.
I respectfully disagree. All the TRE does is open the secondaries sooner. It does nothing to the timing. It has a phony name.

It is NOT as good as removing them, but accomplishes most of it. The 2ndarys normaly are open 100% at 6000 RPM's. The Gipro Hard setting opens them fully at 3000, just like the TRE.

I know you love this mod Hesaves and I am not knocking it, but to suggest JB welding something in a supersonic nozzle in a Gasoline environment is not a fix I would even consider. But thats me.

People should know all the details of what they are considering and it is a FACT that many people cannot get all the screws out without damaging them. Some do, some people don't. Inquiring minds should know this. Thats my point.

JJ

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the pipe to answer your question about that! Has a very deep & throaty exhaust note! It was a very simple install & bolts on to the header! Removing the cat & exhaust valve plus cables! Very pleased with quality as well. I paid $495 shipped direct from Area P!

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
I respectfully disagree. All the TRE does is open the secondaries sooner. It does nothing to the timing. It has a phony name.

It is NOT as good as removing them, but accomplishes most of it. The 2ndarys normaly are open 100% at 6000 RPM's. The Gipro Hard setting opens them fully at 3000, just like the TRE.

I know you love this mod Hesaves and I am not knocking it, but to suggest JB welding something in a supersonic nozzle in a Gasoline environment is not a fix I would even consider. But thats me.

People should know all the details of what they are considering and it is a FACT that many people cannot get all the screws out without damaging them. Some do, some people don't. Inquiring minds should know this. Thats my point.

JJ
i understand what your saying. but have you ever seen any dyno charts proving the TRE gains HP? I cant say anyone on this forum has. However, yes, i am a 2ndary-fan by all means, there has been dyno charts to prove its gains.
and you are right, jb-weld prob isnt a good idea.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
i understand what your saying. but have you ever seen any dyno charts proving the TRE gains HP? I cant say anyone on this forum has. However, yes, i am a 2ndary-fan by all means, there has been dyno charts to prove its gains.
I like you Hesaves, (whether you care if I do or not), your one of my favorites on the forum, and I am NOT knocking the mod. I just feel people should know what "might" happen during screw removal, or techniques on how better to do it, and all the possibilites, that is all. Fair enough?

To answer your question, I am not aware of anyone.

I also concede many people have done it, few have had problems, and most report back positively.

That is all,

JJ

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
I like you Hesaves, (whether you care if I do or not), your one of my favorites on the forum, and I am NOT knocking the mod. I just feel people should know what "might" happen during screw removal, or techniques on how better to do it, and all the possibilites, that is all. Fair enough?

To answer your question, I am not aware of anyone.

I also concede many people have done it, few have had problems, and most report back positively.

That is all,

JJ
:eek:ccasion1 thanks jj and you are absolutly right. weve seem just about every second gen owner strip out screws and encounter a headache.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
The TRE was not designed to be a power mod therefor to compare to 2ndary removal is fruitless and a waste of time and energy.

As for the 2ndary removal being a performance enhancing mod is questionable still to this day.

Nobody has done whats needed/required to prove its claimed worth! that is take a bike to a dyno facility and make 3-4 pulls in stock or as is state and then perform the necessary 2ndary removal and repeat said runs as close to each other as possible, not a day or two or a week later. Its no differnet than installing an exhaust, PC3, filter in order to decern their worth when tuning.

I would gladly do it if i were an owner of any model but that won't happen again so.........

BD

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
The TRE was not designed to be a power mod therefor to compare to 2ndary removal is fruitless and a waste of time and energy.

As for the 2ndary removal being a performance enhancing mod is questionable still to this day.

Nobody has done whats needed/required to prove its claimed worth! that is take a bike to a dyno facility and make 3-4 pulls in stock or as is state and then perform the necessary 2ndary removal and repeat said runs as close to each other as possible, not a day or two or a week later. Its no differnet than installing an exhaust, PC3, filter in order to decern their worth when tuning.

I would gladly do it if i were an owner of any model but that won't happen again so.........

BD
BD, as much as you post whore on here i thought you wouldve read my how-to. garth supplied me w a before and after dyno sheet.:heyyou:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
BD, as much as you post whore on here i thought you wouldve read my how-to. garth supplied me w a before and after dyno sheet.:heyyou:
heaves, I agree with BD....the TRE was NEVER advertised as a HP gainer, now what I think is happening the HP curve can change in the lower RPMs so some may say it's an HP gain...well maybe but if you gain something you usually loose something... i.e if you install a 16t do you really gain hp?..no you just get there quicker and it FEELS like you did, but in reality you gained NOTHING in HP...JJ has made the most sense on the opening of the Flies but there he is not an engineer for Kawi, and even Ivan himself that did much testing wanted the Sub-throttle adjustment with custom map....bottom line it's not a garantee to gain anything that will please all...one thing we know f'sho it's related to bottom end because Richard Gadson ran his barely tested 08 10R at the drag strip and got times the best riders can with the Suks but even higher MPh than any I heard of @ 160mph..he said NO Flies removed and why would anyone that races in high RPMs need to change that? :headshake:idea:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
BD you calm down. If you can't play nice then go to your room :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts