Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a 3rd Gen.

I had an issue over the summer riding my bike riding through New York City and on the way out getting stuck in 3 hours of traffic. The bike started getting hot and the temp gauge just kept going up and up and I was freaking out. I'm not one to really lane split, but I had to get the bike moving to get some air through the rad. The cars were so tight together we only were able to make it a few car lengths at a time then had to stop and wait for an opening. Once we made it through and started moving it cooled right down.

I didn't want to go through that again and decided to add a second fan to the system (also switching over to Engine Ice coolant). This did not work as planned. I bought a used fan off eBay for cheap and a small sheet of .080" aluminum and made up some brackets that I would eventually weld to the rad to hold the second fan. All was going pretty decent then I went to test fit it and there just wasn't enough clearance for the fan. The second fan hits the camshaft position sensor that stick out of the cylinder head. I made sure that when I made the brackets that the fan was as close to the radiator as possible and still not enough room.

It was a good idea while it lasted, but I'll just have to do the engine ice and hope I don't hit traffic on scorching hot days anymore. Just wanted to share for others who may have had the same idea, or maybe someone can see a way to make it work.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thats really nice work. Why not break or cut the sensor connector off and solder some wires to the sensor and hook it to your pigtail. Did you consider running a seperate relay? I'm not sure the amp draw, but it might not be a bad idea. Also make sure that the two fans won't run your battery down in traffic if they run at idle too long. The charging systems on the bikes are not very powerfull.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After 259 I believe it just flashed the word "hot" or "heat"

There was no shoulder or anything to pull over to. I turned it off and pushed it as much as I could, but at hills I had to start it up and drive it. Didn't seem to do any damage luckily, but I was flipping out. Soon as I got home and it cooled I checked it out and the coolant level was correct. Once I started moving it started to go down and as soon as it hit highway I took off and it plummeted right back to normal operating temperature. Never had an issue with it before, and haven't since either.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here is my "How To" setup on the dual fan. I had the same prob as you with overheating! This completely fixed it and is still going strong! I had to move the radiator forward with some aluminum bar stock and modify the inner fairings to clear the header. Please read my "how to"

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79253

I also want to add that I am still on the same battery, with no problems with drainage. Goodluck :thumbsup:

Here is a pic of it completed:

Attachments

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats really nice work. Why not break or cut the sensor connector off and solder some wires to the sensor and hook it to your pigtail. Did you consider running a seperate relay? I'm not sure the amp draw, but it might not be a bad idea. Also make sure that the two fans won't run your battery down in traffic if they run at idle too long. The charging systems on the bikes are not very powerfull.
I was going to run a power wire through a switch then through a relay, and have the existing fan trigger the relay. This way the second fan would only run when the switch was on and the 1st fan was running as well. I didn't wasnt to have 2 fans running under normal conditions.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is my "How To" setup on the dual fan. I had the same prob as you with overheating! This completely fixed it and is still going strong! I had to move the radiator forward with some aluminum bar stock and modify the inner fairings to clear the header. Please read my "how to"

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79253

I also want to add that I am still on the same battery, with no problems with drainage. Goodluck :thumbsup:
Not sure how it is on yours, but the gen3 radiator is mounted to the frame on the top and the bottom is just a dinky bracket. I may try to fab up a longer bottom bracket and see where that takes me. I gotta put the fairings on to see how it works like that. I'll prob dig back into it another night again when I have some time, but keep the good ideas coming!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya that is what I said and did used aluminum bar stock on the bottom to extend the radiator foward look at the last pic in my post!!:heyyou:
Sorry, I'm on my phone - didn't really get to look through your how-to very well. I definitely will check it out in more detail when I get back to my computer.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No prob at all ZX10r Ninja brother! I am sure this will work for you and any other peeps!
Checked it out. Nice work man. Gen3 is a little different, but I'm definitely going to try extending the lower mount out and see where that takes me. Just gotta get the fairings back on and make sure it all fits well and doesn't look off too much. But that's going to have to wait as I have all my fairings off for my buddy to buff and polish some scratches out.

Also I do have to say that you cheated! Not fair that your radiator has the mounting tabs already! :heyyou:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so I took a little of both ideas suggested here. I took the cam position sensor and cut off a chunk of the plastic where the wires come out. By doing that it freed up a decent amount of room. I think at that point it just barely touched but didn't put any pressure on anything. I only needed a tad bit more space so instead on making a whole new lower radiator mount I just unbolted it from the engine and added like 3 or 4 small washers to space it out and a longer bolt. Everything fits perfectly. Jumped some wires to the battery to spin up the fan and no issues.

When I get some time I'll post up some more pics. I gotta silicone up the sensor to ensure no water gets in it and get some of the right length bolts for a few things, then weld up the mounting tabs I made and wire it all up.

Now come the question of where should I put the switch? I want it accessible while riding, but not really out in the open - want to keep the bike looking clean. Any idea? It's a standard toggle switch requiring a 1/2" mounting hole. (standard except that it is weather sealed but mounts and looks the same for the most part as a normal metal toggle switch).

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just wired up a relay to kick on with the original fan. Then there is no thinking about turning the new fan on and off and taking your mind off the road....

I would mount the switch either by the small triangle like fairings that cover the lower part of the tank or up by the headset somewhere. Awesome work man can't wait to see some pics!
:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I'm going to finish this soon hopefully... I've been sick for about the past week so I haven't really pursued much with this. Now I just gotta find time to go to my other shop and change the welder over to aluminum and weld the brackets onto the radiator.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just wired up a relay to kick on with the original fan. Then there is no thinking about turning the new fan on and off and taking your mind off the road....

I would mount the switch either by the small triangle like fairings that cover the lower part of the tank or up by the headset somewhere. Awesome work man can't wait to see some pics!
:eek:ccasion1
The reason I want it on a switch is that under normal conditions I don't want it to run and draw power from the battery. Not sure how much leeway there is on the charging system amperage wise, plus I have a MDA123 battery. If the switch is in the ON position the second fan will still only run when the 1st one does. If its in the OFF position it won't come on at all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts