Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
Triumph Street Triple r. Living on 9 x 5 Jersey with 100k+ vehicle registrations & max 40mph limit, the 10r is a bit much. Fortunately France isn't far away, but coving keeps interfering.... 馃ズ
PS, for the US bods o here, check out Visit Jersey.com & see why you are New. 馃き

Registered
Not riding anything else except my 2005 ZX-10R at the moment, I still have my 2005 SV650S, but the 10 is more fun. Next year I hope to take the SV to the track though, I don't know anything about track riding but I have the idea that learning to ride a track on the SV instead of the 10 might be more rewarding in the long term, idk.

Also started looking a bit at those Ducati hypermotards after @trackaddict mentioned how much he enjoyed his. They do look like a lot of fun, not exactly cheap though.
The sv is a great first track bike as well! They're cheap to turn laps and a decent bike to learn on

Attachments

Registered
Don't be afraid of the 10R on the track even if you are a rookie. It only goes as fast as you want it to. What you get in return is a badass bike with acceleration, handling, brakes, etc. All the superbikes were built for the track. Just pay attention and learn from others and take it easy till you catch on!

Reactions: Chasingstatus10R

Registered
Don't be afraid of the 10R on the track even if you are a rookie. It only goes as fast as you want it to. What you get in return is a badass bike with acceleration, handling, brakes, etc. All the superbikes were built for the track. Just pay attention and learn from others and take it easy till you catch on!
I tell ppl the opposite 馃槀 it's cheaper to turn laps on a purpose built smaller bike. A 1000 is alot more forgiving (power in straights)than a 600/400 where accuracy is your goal. That same liter bike is alot to throw around session after session. Also, that same liter I said was forgiving a minute ago, it's def not forgiving on the wallet if/when you go down. Either way you look at it though track is a million times better than the street entertainment wise anyway imho.

Registered
Also, going to the dealer tonight to check out a newly unboxed klx300sm. If it's not what I want I'll be checking out a similar rig comparable to your versys.

Registered
My SO does also ride, though not in a while. So the second ride in the house is a Grom and I ride it primarily getting around town. Just can't get enough of wringing that thing out while tooling around, easy parking, almost zero fuel cost... My S1kRR was bought entirely to ride Road America, and the new ZX10R will replace it. Only time I ride it locally is if I'm hitting an interstate highway for more than ~10mi. I started track on a 636 and it was a good starting point IMO. With 400s around now, probably an even better starting point for track. Even considered getting one to tune up my own corner speed.

Registered
2018 Kawasaki ZX10RR
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thank you all for the great replies. It's been awesome here and my memories of riding sport bikes far outweigh the majority of my riding history, but I've taken a new direction. I'm not getting any younger, my track day trips are a thing of the past, and my rides have gone from "Man, what a great ride that was!" to "Whew!! I made it home!"

As I said in the beginning of this thread, our family suffered an unimaginable tragedy. I've decided to focus completely on Adventure Biking. I purchased a 2021 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro and I'm loving it. I feel much safer, my wife is very comfortable on it (she is now considering throwing herself into the ADV bike game), and the contribution to our new reality is very valuable.

I'm going to miss the rush and the vibe of my sport bike days and my ZX10RR will always be remembered as a favorite, but I'm looking forward to the new chapter.

Keep doing what you do and please be careful out there. Rock on!

Registered
That's awesome and those are sharp bikes. I don't blame you one bit. I unfortunately know exactly where you're coming from. My core group of friends is four people. Unfortunately one of them passed away on November 7th in a street ride after he picked his bike up from storage in my house because we didn't expect to get one more nice day like that up in upstate New York. This was literally my best friend and we had had several conversations since I started doing track days trying to convince him (both of us) that we need to tone it back a little. One of my last rides we had a long conversation about how crazy it was because I was so angry due to being the only one out of the group of friends who knows what a nasty fall can do that had happened to me on track. Now it proves even more validation to my side of the argument saying that we should just give the street life up. At that time he couldn't afford it and wanted to just do the street thing since he bought a brand new 21 ZX6R. And then literally another slap in the face happened a month ago with Skydork's accident. We love these machines we just want it to be mutual love and return us to our families. So that's what puts me in this emotional toss-up..... Do you keep riding to honor these great people? You know, keep doing what we love? Or is it smart to just hang up the hat on the street riding in general since I can't control how I do it..... It's been a serious internal conversation I've been having with myself the last few weeks.... I find myself riding the most capable bike the least amount as it's my street bike being the ZX10R. So I'm glad you found a compromise where you're happy. I'm so sorry for the tragedy that you experienced. Also if you can get your wife on a Adv bike that's perfect, if Jocelyn snow can throw those bmws around she definitely can.
So all I can say is best of luck I hope the bike treats you well and you stay safe!

Registered
2018 Kawasaki ZX10RR
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That's awesome and those are sharp bikes. I don't blame you one bit. I unfortunately know exactly where you're coming from. My core group of friends is four people. Unfortunately one of them passed away on November 7th in a street ride after he picked his bike up from storage in my house because we didn't expect to get one more nice day like that up in upstate New York. This was literally my best friend and we had had several conversations since I started doing track days trying to convince him (both of us) that we need to tone it back a little. One of my last rides we had a long conversation about how crazy it was because I was so angry due to being the only one out of the group of friends who knows what a nasty fall can do that had happened to me on track. Now it proves even more validation to my side of the argument saying that we should just give the street life up. At that time he couldn't afford it and wanted to just do the street thing since he bought a brand new 21 ZX6R. And then literally another slap in the face happened a month ago with Skydork's accident. We love these machines we just want it to be mutual love and return us to our families. So that's what puts me in this emotional toss-up..... Do you keep riding to honor these great people? You know, keep doing what we love? Or is it smart to just hang up the hat on the street riding in general since I can't control how I do it..... It's been a serious internal conversation I've been having with myself the last few weeks.... I find myself riding the most capable bike the least amount as it's my street bike being the ZX10R. So I'm glad you found a compromise where you're happy. I'm so sorry for the tragedy that you experienced. Also if you can get your wife on a Adv bike that's perfect, if Jocelyn snow can throw those bmws around she definitely can.
So all I can say is best of luck I hope the bike treats you well and you stay safe!
Hey man, thank you for that comment. I really enjoyed the read and can definitely relate to you loss. I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. My sincere condolences and prayers for healing.
The ADV thing it taking off like crazy. It's very challenging from what I've experienced so far, but rewarding as well. I'm doing my first rally tomorrow and not coming home until Sunday. There are so many ADV groups, support, events...it's hard to keep track.
Yes, yes you do continue on in honor of them. But only as long as you're feeling it. For me, I've decided to keep riding because it's what I've always done and I love it. I've just decided to change the vibe. This thing handles GREAT on the street, but I also get to improve my skills in places I would never have seen before. Camping is also part of it. That'll be interesting for me....lol.
After taking my wife on a light off road ride (the bike is extremely comfortable for a passenger), she watched a few Jocelyn Snow videos and is hooked. It's a toss up between a KTM 390 or the Honda CB500X. Both are great, capable bikes.
Anyway, thanks for the things you wrote. Means a lot to me.

Registered
Damn! It seems like this is happening more and more. I had an old friend crash and die while cruising on the freeway with his brother returning from Vegas last summer. We think he fell asleep. And on a local mountain twisty ride in SoCal last month we came across a guy who just crashed his bike splayed across the road. He was in leathers so it was tough to diagnose but he thought he broke his femur. I'm almost 61 and my bros are all in their 50s. We've been riding forever but it does make you think how you're gonna spend your next and final 20 years.

Reactions: Chasingstatus10R

Registered
Damn! It seems like this is happening more and more. I had an old friend crash and die while cruising on the freeway with his brother returning from Vegas last summer. We think he fell asleep. And on a local mountain twisty ride in SoCal last month we came across a guy who just crashed his bike splayed across the road. He was in leathers so it was tough to diagnose but he thought he broke his femur. I'm almost 61 and my bros are all in their 50s. We've been riding forever but it does make you think how you're gonna spend your next and final 20 years.
Yesh it's a shame, unfortunately it's what we signed up for. Although it does seem to be getting more crazy out there. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Registered
Back to the original post...

My thoughts on the significant other riding with me... And these are obviously only my thoughts and not a judgement on anyone else. I was married to a very pretty sexy girl for 20 years. One of our first dates was a ride on my 1991 GSXR1100 up to Big Bear Lake in SoCal. What she never knew and I never confessed was I almost lost it in a tight turn because we weren't synched up with our lean angles and my turn went wide and I nearly went off over the edge with a very long fall down the mountain. At that point I decided never to take a girl on my bike again. And I haven't in all these years. I've been asked many times. But the answer is always no. All my bikes since then have the passenger pegs removed and solo seat. So that's my justification. Sorry, no room for passengers. Kind of a self-inflicted limit. I would not want to be responsible for a girl getting hurt, getting scars on her beautiful legs, etc. I always cringe when I see the youtube videos of the silly girl falling off the back of a sportbike in her shorts. I wouldn't want to be that guy.

Registered
So after an extreme tragedy for our family, I decided my wife and I need to do more stuff together. She's a trooper and will gladly ride on the back on my ZX10, but I know it's got to absolutely suck after about 5 miles.
I considered Adventure biking, but that still leaves her in an uncomfortable situation. Thanks to the awesome Kawasaki company, I think I found the perfect alternative. I can now feel my passenger is comfortable when present. I can ride light off-road adventures. I also have a bike my wife would be comfortable piloting if we choose to ride together (when I met her she was riding a GSXR600).
I chose the Versys 650. It's a 2017 model and I added upgrades for light off-road use. I'm pretty happy with it so far, and I appreciate it's menacing look. Like Gold Wing meets Mad Max...lol.
So, what else are you riding?
View attachment 449524
Congratulations, your bike look good

21 - 34 of 34 Posts