Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in my ongoing process of learning all the ins and outs of my ZX, I decided to pull out the seat, if only to see how it comes out. Also, you need to pull the seat to get at the battery. Question is: what type and size bit to pull the mounting bolts. Had no problem getting the passenger seat out, and the 4 bolts holding the frame down. But when I tried to pull the rider's seat bolts, nothing would fit. A couple did, but as soon as I tried turning, they basically stripped. I think whoever put the seat in last tightened it so much he stripped the bolts. But if I knew the exact bit, maybe I could still make it work.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,773 Posts
The bike is Japanese. They use the metric system. Those bolts for the rider seat are either 10mm or 12mm. If I remember right, they should be the larger 12mm. But grab both and see what fits. It's one of those 2.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike is Japanese. They use the metric system. Those bolts for the rider seat are either 10mm or 12mm. If I remember right, they should be the larger 12mm. But grab both and see what fits. It's one of those 2.
Yes, I know about the Metric system. I'm Canadian LOL. But are you referring to the bolt diameter? It's the socket that the bit fits into that I need to find a fit for.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,773 Posts

:ROFLMAO: I figured you knew about that metric system, but reference the above for why I said that!

And I was wrong in my previous post. They are 10mm. How do I know that? Because I just went and checked. No, that's not the bolt diameter. You need a 10mm socket to get the 2 bolts out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
View attachment 446276

:ROFLMAO: I figured you knew about that metric system, but reference the above for why I said that!

And I was wrong in my previous post. They are 10mm. How do I know that? Because I just went and checked. No, that's not the bolt diameter. You need a 10mm socket to get the 2 bolts out.

View attachment 446277
Those are not the same bolts that I have in mine. Give me a few minutes. I'll get a pic to show you.

·
The Pace
7,042 Posts
you have to buy the mm socket set; then you use trial and error to sort out what Sky is talking about. Dad taught that when I was about 8-9; how? He just would say, and still does, 'just watch me or buzz off.' lol

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,773 Posts
Those are not the same bolts that I have in mine. Give me a few minutes. I'll get a pic to show you.
Anxiously awaiting that pic....

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,773 Posts
Those aren't the OEM bolts. They either came with the seat you have or they were swapped with something else. You're going to have to go through the Allen heads you have to figure it out. They look like a 5mm at least, but more likely a 6mm Allen key. Since the seat brackets look like they're thinner and metal, they are probably shorter than the OEM ones with an Allen head. Hell, they may actually be English size given they come from California.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those aren't the OEM bolts. They either came with the seat you have or they were swapped with something else. You're going to have to go through the Allen heads you have to figure it out. They look like a 5mm at least, but more likely a 6mm Allen key. Since the seat brackets look like they're thinner and metal, they are probably shorter than the OEM ones with an Allen head.
Yes you could be right. The seat is not stock, but you would think the bolts would be the same. Guess not. I've got some allen keys around somewhere. I'll dig them out and give it a whirl. I don't need access to the battery for storage as there's an external charging cable attached. But one day, I will need to get in there.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
850 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Replace the bolts anyway... Looks like Hulk ham fisted those. Once those Allen head bolts strip, they are a pain in the butt to remove.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,773 Posts
English size? Is that imperial or metric. These days England uses metric for everything. Old Ninja go buy these, virtually everything on the bike is hex (Allen) headed bolts.

English....Imperial....who, whom, who cares? :ROFLMAO:

The OEM seat bolts are 10mm, flanged, hex head bolts that are 6x22x1.25 for the diameter, length, and thread pitch. If you wanna be specific about it. :geek:

Reactions: trebor27

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
850 Posts
English....Imperial....who, whom, who cares? :ROFLMAO:
I was more surprised you didn’t call it American measurements to be honest.

I’m English and don’t refer to it as English, I guess because England uses mostly metric now except for a few areas, like speed and occasionally distances. So I refer to it as Imperial, as then it’s not confusing. Except maybe it is still all very confusing. 🤣

Ironically England still has yard markers/signs before freeway exits, 300, 200 and 100 yards, and we still measure distance in MPH and fuel economy in MPG, even though we buy petrol in liters! AAARRRGGGHHH! o_O

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I’m English and don’t refer to it as English, I guess because England uses mostly metric now except for a few areas, like speed and occasionally distances. So I refer to it as Imperial, as then it’s not confusing. Except maybe it is still all very confusing. 🤣

Ironically England still has yard markers/signs before freeway exits, 300, 200 and 100 yards, and we still measure distance in MPH and fuel economy in MPG, even though we buy petrol in liters! AAARRRGGGHHH! o_O
I was in high school when Canada began the conversion to the metric system. As a result, I know both and regularly do conversions in my head. Even on my ZX, though it reads KPH and measures fuel in KM/litre, I still end up doing conversions to MPH and MPG (Canadian gallons, which are larger than American). In the grocery stores, many items are still in pounds and/or ounces. For me, having lived through the transition, it's almost automatic to convert in my head. Not so for some of my peers. Got a friend (my age) who, when told how fast I rode the ZX the other day, will invariably ask me "how many MPH is that?" But then, math was always my forte in school.

Metrication in Canada
Metrication in Canada began in 1970 and ceased in 1985. While Canada has converted to the metric system for many purposes, there is still significant use of non-metric units and standards in many sectors of the Canadian economy and everyday life today.Wikipedia

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,773 Posts

American measurements? You would REALLY think I'd refer to it that way??? That's messed up and I'm offended by that! :cry:

You English folks are messed up. Yard markers instead of Meter Markers? MPH instead of KPH? What the fugg!!! You can't pick and choose and mix it up like that! Get your Country straight, will ya!!! ;):p :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts