Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really falling for the 2016 krt edition zx 10 r but unfortunately i say that seat height is 835mm. I am a 5'4 guy with 29" in seam, how hard will it be for me to keep for in the ground? should i quit the idea of getting this bike? :-(

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I am really falling for the 2016 krt edition zx 10 r but unfortunately i say that seat height is 835mm. I am a 5'4 guy with 29" in seam, how hard will it be for me to keep for in the ground? should i quit the idea of getting this bike? :-(
Easiest thing to do would be cut the seat foam down make the seat thinner and then recover it. Any good seat shop should be able to help you out with that.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm ok on a gen4 with a 29" inseam

I believe the gen 5 is a little taller

If you shave the seat foam it will be quite hard on an already (apparently) hard seat

Despite what people will tell you about handling issues, I would just lower the ride height (front and rear), especially if you're only planning on riding on the road. You will soon adjust to the handling

I'd take a demo ride first and see how you feel, its more about confidence than anything else

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Not necessarily, depends on your commitment to really wanting THIS bike, and if you know how to be very quick sliding side to side to get one foot down. We have the same inseam but I am 5' 7". If you have experience with tall dirt bikes, ADV bikes, you will know how to do this. If the seat height is important, get a Gen 4, much lower and very easy to handle for a sportbike. Unless you just HAVE to have the new electronics.

The tall stinkbug stance is de rigueur now on racebikes. R1 is the same way. Does work better on the track, though.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Easiest thing to do would be cut the seat foam down make the seat thinner and then recover it. Any good seat shop should be able to help you out with that.
Hardly any foam to begin with. Would not suggest lowering the suspension; bike is a superbike, it needs to be as designed. Tankslapper, handling issues, it wasn't made to be like a Harley. Get a bike you feel comfortable on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
top height doesn't matter.. if u have same in seam and u are riding it then why cant i? also i can as half an inch under my shoe and shave half from seat,, would that suffice.. even by not doing these i can tip toe it.. or as u said i can bend one side at stops and put foot down... is that good? or should i totally put down the idea of getting it?,, also i LOVE THIS BIKE LIKE MAD... :-(

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I DO NOT plan to race.. only riding in town... also i plan to add half an inch of leather.. under my shoe ahd shave half from seat.. that should do the trick

A huge item is....Handle bars. Thanks to the Euro riders wising up,
And putting street handlebars on RR bikes that are ridden On the street, Spiegler has made up kits.

The racer crouch works on closed course race tracks that have the public road hazards removed.
It is no way to sit on a bike that is dealing with the public road.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm 5'9 but I've got short legs. I'm used to riding tall motocross bikes, which is what I did for many years before getting into sport bikes. What works for me is keeping one foot on the peg and putting my other foot down on the ground. If I need to push the bike somewhere, I get off and push instead of trying to paddle it with my legs. I don't ride a gen5, I have a gen4 with added ride height in the shock, a taller rear tire and aftermarket rearsets placed in their highest position. It's pretty tall. I've never dropped this bike or any other sport bike while going slow. Just need to work on the technique. If you lower the bike it'll handle like a pig. I don't think you've got much seat foam to chop out, either.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'm 5'9 but I've got short legs. I'm used to riding tall motocross bikes, which is what I did for many years before getting into sport bikes. What works for me is keeping one foot on the peg and putting my other foot down on the ground. If I need to push the bike somewhere, I get off and push instead of trying to paddle it with my legs. I don't ride a gen5, I have a gen4 with added ride height in the shock, a taller rear tire and aftermarket rearsets placed in their highest position. It's pretty tall. I've never dropped this bike or any other sport bike while going slow. Just need to work on the technique. If you lower the bike it'll handle like a pig. I don't think you've got much seat foam to chop out, either.
That's what we shorties do.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
A huge item is....Handle bars. Thanks to the Euro riders wising up,
And putting street handlebars on RR bikes that are ridden On the street, Spiegler has made up kits.

The racer crouch works on closed course race tracks that have the public road hazards removed.
It is no way to sit on a bike that is dealing with the public road.
My Gen 4 is the most comfortable road bike I own and I have several, including naked sport, standard, and ADV. Also GSX-R 750 track bike, even more comfy and perfect. Small guys do very well on sport bikes for the street but need to be in condition and get used to the riding position.

I bought Heli-Bars for my GSX-R, hated them and took them off, back to stock, pegs in highest/most rearward position. Gen 4 pegs in highest position too.

My Gen 4 is my first choice to ride on the street. Fast, comfy, great brakes/power/handling.

Not for everyone, I know but it took me some years to really acclimate and adapt but once there, nothing better.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'd lower it. It will hinder handling a bit, but if you do it right it won't be that bad. If your riding it just around town you don't need the razors edge handling wise.

Reactions: renais

·
Registered
840 Posts
Fact is, the ass up nose down "racer" position isn't necessarily the best answer for the street. Just check out what the likes of John McGuiness and the other TT road racers do to set up their bikes. The rear ride height is lower for stability and allows for better drive through the corners. Track racers generally brake late and hard, point and shoot, not good on the road.

·
The Pace
7,299 Posts
Fact is, the ass up nose down "racer" position isn't necessarily the best answer for the street. Just check out what the likes of John McGuiness and the other TT road racers do to set up their bikes. The rear ride height is lower for stability and allows for better drive through the corners. Track racers generally brake late and hard, point and shoot, not good on the road.
Not at all, imo.

·
Registered
355 Posts

I really don't think that a Honda race bike ridden by the Morecambe Missile has anything to do with the OPs seat height dilemma. Regardless, how many TT race bikes have you measured? I'm curious about the source of this concept, primarily because you're making a rather broad statement. Not even designating which class or bike...

The primary issue that I have personally seen on a lowered bike is a lack of ground clearance while cornering. Usually they drag hard parts before a fucked up rake/trail/wheelbase issue makes itself apparent.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The primary issue that I have personally seen on a lowered bike is a lack of ground clearance while cornering. Usually they drag hard parts before a fucked up rake/trail/wheelbase issue makes itself apparent.
To reiterate, it's just a bad idea to take a bike like the ZX-10R and lower it as you don't know what will happen.

It's bad enough for bikes that haven't been modified in such a way, we still get head shake and weird stuff; taking a 180 HP motorcycle and messing with the geometry, dude, that's just not advisable no matter what.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.