Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this should go here or Strip, mods please move as needed.

I am wondering on the reasonableness of sealing my stock swingarm to create an air tank to run an air shifter. I have searched everywhere and haven't found much of anything. Found some swingarms available from McIntosh and Trac Dynamics, but I don't want to fork out that kind of money.

Has anyone done this?

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
not to get :eek:t: but this would also be a great concept for hidden no2 tanks

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not to get :eek:t: but this would also be a great concept for hidden no2 tanks
Yeah, that is one possibility of it as well. I was thinking of using one side for an air shifter and if it worked well, trying to use the other for nitrous.

I have a spare GSX-R swingarm I will look over tonight to see what, if any, leaks it would produce. I know it's not even close to the same, but just something to look at until I can get some more information.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I think they stay with air shifters only because nitrous is run at 900+ psi where a shifter can be around 100 psi.... its possible just have to find the right TIG welder to do it....

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think they stay with air shifters only because nitrous is run at 900+ psi where a shifter can be around 100 psi.... its possible just have to find the right TIG welder to do it....
Yeah, I considered that too. The pressure is so high, it may be easier to simply run a bottle for the nitrous. However, an air shifter would be a bit easier.

Question is how many leaks the stock swingarm would have? Or how bad the welds are?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can have it tig'd up. You could also try some JB weld. Its worth a quick shot.:thumbsup:

Prolly work just fine.
I will look it over. However, I don't really feel like pulling the swing arm off to weld it up. If forced too, it would really add time to this project.

Still hoping someone has done this and will post up the results...

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Sounds like a good idea but I've never seen/heard of anyone doing it before. Good luck!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'd be a little nervous about pressurizing it. Great idea, but it's not a pressure vessel. The air pressure pushes evenly across the entire inside surface and causes any flat surface to swell. 100psi is hell of a lot on a vessel that is not round. With a typical round air tank the pressure creates a tensile stress on the material and they can get away with using a thinner sheet compared to what it would take if the tank were a cube or some other abstract shape. If the end of a 12” air tank were flat it wouldn't be after it had pressure in it unless it was an inch thick. There’s probably about 1.5 square feet of surface area in our swing arms, which comes out to 216 square inches x 100 psi = 21,600 pounds of force trying to get out. Put nitrous in it and you’re looking at 216,000 pounds.

If you're bent on trying this out I would get a used one off e-bay, plumb it and then pressure test it under water so that if it bursts the shrapnel doesn't hurt so bad.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I sealed mine to hold 50lb of 000 lead shot (as ballast), and there are many open sections, the largest are a couple square inches surrounding the shock. You would need to remove the arm and fab curved plates to weld those sections. And of course you wouldn't want to weld on the chassis without disconnecting the ground and ECU. -Dean

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
After more searching, found that lots of GSX-R guys fill the swingarm with air, no explosion problems at pressures up to 130 psi, sometimes even more.

Also, I looked at both McIntosh and Trac Dynamics swingarms and both have sqaure sides very very similar to a stock swingarm. Both state that 200 psi can safely be pressurized inside the arm.

What is the difference in material and thickness between a stock arm and one of these aftermarkets arms?

If one were to remove the stock arm and weld up any holes and double check the OEM welds, would it not hold similar to one of these aftermarket arms?

·
Registered
37 Posts
This was copied from McIntosh's Website

Air tank installed in factory Swingarm:

* This is a convenient option when trying to find space to locate items on your bike when space is at a minimum.
* It will hold up to 200 PSI for conventional air over electric air shifters.

$125.00

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

* This is a convenient option when trying to find space to locate items on your bike when space is at a minimum.

$125.00
So, does McIntosh create a seperate air tank within the swingarm?

What modifications do they perform to the stock arm to allow it to hold the 200 psi safely?

·
Registered
388 Posts

$125.00
I think what they are saying is they cut a section of your swingarm and install a air tank inside and then reweld that section back on. So its just like any air tank just mounted in side the swingarm.

The factory swingarm when sealed up can hold 200 PSI safely no problem just have experienced weldor check the original welds and seal up the rest.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think what they are saying is they cut a section of your swingarm and install a air tank inside and then reweld that section back on. So its just like any air tank just mounted in side the swingarm.

The factory swingarm when sealed up can hold 200 PSI safely no problem just have experienced weldor check the original welds and seal up the rest.
Well, I have e-mailed McIntosh directly and should hear back from them soon.

Too many stories going both ways. Some say it will hold 200 psi. While others say it will explode at 100 psi. :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts