1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I'm debating on getting one of these.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
dude you better get more than every oil change out of a 100+ dollar filter thats nuts. that thing better last for like 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Looks nice.. Any more people using this??

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
I would caution against using wire-mesh-type filters.

Exercise 1: Find out what the mesh size is for that filter. (Answer: 35 microns.)

Exercise 2: Find out what the oil clearances are in the main bearings of your engine. (Answer: Oil clearances are in the 0.001" range - that is 25 microns.)

If you do not already see the problem ... Go out to your kitchen and find a sieve. This is a scaled-up version of how that oil filter works. Much bigger mesh size, but same idea. Pour marbles into it. It filters out 100% of them. Now pour sugar into it. It filters out 0% of it.

Scott's makes an argument that paper filters are not an absolute filter, and it's true. They have an efficiency curve, a small percentage of particles of a given size can get through. For particles in the critical size range (5 ~ 10 microns) most paper-type oil filters have single pass efficiency 97 ~ 99%.

Particles smaller than 5 microns are small enough to pass right through the oil clearance without causing damage. Particles bigger than about 50 microns are too big to get into the trouble areas (but they can clog oil passages). The Scott's lets through particles in the critical size range.

Why is 97% oil filter efficiency "good enough"? Because that's single pass efficiency. The oil in your engine gets pumped through the filter again and again. Every pass removes 97% of the critical particles. It does not take long (seconds of engine operation) before the number of particles in the critical size range is so small as to be effectively zero.

"I've had the screen in for 5000 miles (or whatever) and the engine has not blown up" - Fine. Take 10 engines running a good paper filter and 10 engines running a screen and put them through a 100,000 mile durability test, then tear them down and let us know.

Counterpoint: If screen filters are so good, why are there NO (Zero) production engines manufactured using screen filters? One hundred percent of all automotive manufacturers rely on depth-type filtration elements. The last production automobile engine I know of that used a screen was the air-cooled VW Beetle flat-four ... an engine of considerably less sophistication and with larger internal clearances than anything built today.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I dont think some people who left post are getting it. This is a filter that will out last your bike. All you do is clean it and reuse it after oil change.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
zx10x2 said:
I dont think some people who left post are getting it. This is a filter that will out last your bike. All you do is clean it and reuse it after oil change.
In reality how long do you really keep your bike before you sell it? The longest I have is 6 years. Well it makes sense in a way because basically all new bikes share the same filter. I guess you just have to transfer that to the next bike. :mrgreen:

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
zx10x2 said:
Yes, the filter will outlast the bike. It will shorten the life of the bike such that the filter outlasts it!

Purolator PureOne PL14610. Six bucks a pop. Bigger filtration area than the stock filter (holds more dirt before clogging, less pressure drop in the meantime). Works using proven depth-filtration principle that all OEM's rely on and trust. Very high single-pass filtration efficiency on particle sizes in the critical range. DOESN'T need to be cleaned (saves me work). The total cost of PureOne filters changed every 12,000 km (factory service interval) for the life of the bike will be less than the cost of that Scotts thing which I consider to be questionable. This is not a difficult decision to make ...

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
GoFaster said:
Yes, the filter will outlast the bike. It will shorten the life of the bike such that the filter outlasts it!

Purolator PureOne PL14610. Six bucks a pop. Bigger filtration area than the stock filter (holds more dirt before clogging, less pressure drop in the meantime). Works using proven depth-filtration principle that all OEM's rely on and trust. Very high single-pass filtration efficiency on particle sizes in the critical range. DOESN'T need to be cleaned (saves me work). The total cost of PureOne filters changed every 12,000 km (factory service interval) for the life of the bike will be less than the cost of that Scotts thing which I consider to be questionable. This is not a difficult decision to make ...
This goes along with the things I've heard about the Scotts. Everyone I've heard from says they are bad news. Don't filter very well and/or get clogged faster.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
GoFaster said:

Put one on my 12 back in 01....After further thought and research on the 12R.org forum among many other sites, IMHO they are junk due to the filtration.

Also,,,,Yea they are a lifetime filter....but that is 16 of the best filters at $6.00 per filter (Pure One) times 2000 miles per change (could be longer) equals 32,000 miles.

The motor is going to look much better at the 32 mark with the Pura than with the Scotts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts