Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
No speak...but I know a few words. Sit down, the rosary, and pug me hon. Used to take classes when I was little along with step dancing. Used to go to Feises(fieses) too. Both my parents are from Ireland.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you're first generation American. :thumbsup:
My understanding is there are distinct dialect differences between the Scots and the Irish Gaelic. Even the Welsh Gaelic are different in many of the words, despite a common origin for all three.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I remember it was a hard/confusing language to lear. We memorized some songs and poems way back. It's been 30 years so I don't remember too much. One poem was Misa Era and the other was Misa Raftery. We used to sing songs too. I went to Ireland for two full summers when I was 8 and 10 and Marched in the St. Patrick's Day parade twice in NYC. I used to play Gaelic footbal til I was 18. Used to go to the Scottish games here too. I run into a couple of Irish guys once in a while who ride. I can detect the brogues from a mile away.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what you mean about Gaelic! I've twisted my tongue a few times. :lol:
Always thought that Star Trek used Gaelic as the basis for Klingon. :dontknow: :crackup:

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Translation

Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of Saint Tysilio near the red cave.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Considering all of both Trey's and FAF's other talents, speaking Gaelic wouldn't come as a big shock from either one. Like I posted, I'm looking for someone with experience in the Scottish dialect.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure there are Gaelic forums out there you can join. No?

Doh! I hadn't even thought of that, thanks!

My, my we're picky aren't we? :lol:

There are distinct dialects Andy, just as there are in the US. Take someone from the bayous of Louisiana and have them talk to a farmer in Minnesota, or a surfer boy from California....
They all speak English, sort of.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
There are distinct dialects Andy, just as there are in the US. Take someone from the bayous of Louisiana and have them talk to a farmer in Minnesota, or a surfer boy from California....
They all speak English, sort of.
Alright fine. :rolleyes::mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts