Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had originally written this review for SportBikeTrackGear.com but for some reason it went unused. :dontknow: That being said, in an effort to not waste what I've written, I've decided to post it here. Enjoy. :eek:ccasion1

I’ve now been street riding for several years and have worn, and subsequently destroyed, gear from several major brands. It was a little over a year ago now that I purchased Scorpion gear from the waist up and I could not be happier with my purchases. I will go into each piece in a bit of detail on its own but, if I am to leave you with one thing, let it be this: You will not find higher quality gear at this price point.

Scorpion R-2000 Helmet:

Build Quality/Fit:

Scorpion made huge leaps with this helmet. They took what worked from their previous helmets, removed what didn’t work, and threw in a few new features. The overall build quality seems absolutely fantastic and the helmet fits snugly over your head. With Scorpion’s continued implementation of the air-bladder system under the cheek pads, seen on some of their previous helmets, you have the ability to dial in the helmet to fit your face perfectly. If I am to give one negative bit of criticism, it would be that the helmet doesn’t fit my glasses very well. I wear plastic framed Oakley prescription glasses and trying to wiggle them in can literally be painful. This could be due to how tight I purchase my helmets but, none the less, it is a problem for me. It was also the only negative thing I could think of, which is a true testament to the overall quality of this helmet.

The Guts:

I’ve owned a few Scorpion helmets and one complaint I’ve always had was that the knobs used to remove the visor looked silly and, if they were to break (yes, I broke one), they were a pain to replace. They stepped away from this design and went to a quick-release system that seems much more reliable. If you’ve ever experienced the ease of visor replacement on a Shoei, you’ll immediately fall in love with Scorpions new design. They’ve also stepped away from the drop-down sun visor design and went above-and-beyond by including BOTH a dark smoke and clear visor with each new R2000. Making this change allowed them to drop bulk and weight from the helmet, making it less cumbersome on longer rides and at the track. As an added benefit, their visors also have the best anti-fog I’ve ever experienced. If there is one thing that keeps me buying Scorpion helmets, it’s this. I ride in pretty low temps living in Wisconsin and I’ve never had a visor in any other helmet stay this clear this long. That being said, the helmet performs just as well, if not better, in warmer weather. With the top and front vents open, moving air over your head and out an enormous exhaust port out the back, you will continue to stay more comfortable than you’d expect as we start to creep into the warmer months.

Conclusion:

At a price point under the $400 mark, you’re getting a helmet that is just as home on the track as it is on the street. This will be my lid of choice for the upcoming racing season. After a year with this guy on my head, I’m hooked.​

Clutch Jacket:

Build Quality/Fit:

This jacket is made with 1.2 to 1.4mm top-quality leather, Sas-tec level 2 armor throughout the shoulders, elbows and forearms, and boasts a sport hump on the back. Overall the jacket feels heavy and sturdy. I am 5’10”, 175 pounds, have fairly long arms and wear a size small. Being a guy on the slender side, I have a hard time finding jackets that fit my torso as well as my arms and usually have to compromise in some way. With this jacket I didn’t have to do that at all. They’ve also incorporated comfort items into this jacket, like accordion stretch panels in the elbows, that you wouldn’t normally see on something at this price with these materials.

The Guts:

I got the perforated version and this thing really moves air. The stretch panels in the arms, coupled with the perforation in the chest and bicep, allow it to really breathe. As long as your bike is in motion, you’ll find yourself comfortable through the entire season. Although I’d call this a jacket for the warmer months, if you’re a rider like me, who likes to extend their season into colder weather, this jacket will do just fine. For the colder months they’ve included a zip-in winter liner that works phenomenally. I’ve comfortably rode in this jacket as low as high 30’s to low 40’s without being too cold or too hot.

The Conclusion:

I have nothing negative and everything positive to say about this jacket. At $500, you’re getting all the materials that make up an amazing piece of gear. This includes safety items like CE level 2 armor and fantastic quality leather as well as convenience items like an adjustable waist, removable liner, accordion elbow panels and a sport hump. You may be able to find jackets at this price that incorporate some of these features, sure, but I challenge you to find another that has all of them.​

SG3 Gloves:

Build Quality/Fit:

Unlike a few pairs of gloves I’ve worn, these actually fit ALL of my fingers. No weirdly baggy pinky or thumb. The gloves are constructed of a hybrid use of regular leather in the wrists and top of the glove, as well as a kangaroo leather palm. For extra abrasion resistance and safety, Knox sliders are used in the palm while superfabric is used in the fingers, wrist and thumb, lowering the amount of friction during a slide. The knuckles are made of a thick TPU material that, while strong, still gives a little flex to keep them feeling comfortable. The gauntlet secures to your wrist by using a combination of a few leather-covered Velcro straps.

The Guts:

These. Are. Fantastic. The gloves feel broken in from day one and, a year later, aren’t any less comfortable. Although that is the case, the number one concern with any piece of gear is safety… and boy do these feel and look safe. There is double-stitching in the palm, sliders/leather on the side of the pinky, additional material along the inside of the thumb/pointer finger (preventing glove wear from gripping), Kevlar stitching, the list goes on. If I had to pick one thing to knock, it would be the small Velcro wrist strap that tightens the glove around your wrist, not to be confused with the larger straps that actually wrap around and protect it. I have pretty big hands (size large) but have thin wrists. The strap is a bit long and doesn’t allow me to get the glove quite as tight around my wrist as I would have liked.

Conclusion:

These gloves have seen thousands of miles with me and don’t seem any less impressive. For under $140 you’re getting gloves designed with the same materials as high-end race gloves. Although (thankfully) I haven’t had to crash test this pair, I have complete faith that they will be there to protect me when I do.​

1 - 1 of 1 Posts