Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to the forum. Bought an 04 ZX-10R and it's an awesome bike. I bought a scorpion slip on exhaust for it but have a couple of questions when I got it mounted.

The muffler is angled a bit inwards towards the bike. If you look at the bike from the back it goes inwards towards the tire, almost like a teardrop shape. It doesn't stick straight like the stock exhaust would. Courtesy of the slip on mid pipe. I'm pretty sure I can try to tinker with the mid pipe (rotate it around until I can get it straight).

Would you guys think it is a problem to have it mounted like that or should I try to mount it straight?

Also, the exhaust hanger doesn't wrap entirely around the muffler. It makes contact at some points, but small gaps in others. My exhaust bracket/passenger peg has a broken "tab" and is slightly crooked, but I'm not sure if this has any effect?

Thanks.

-Derrick

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Pictures of these fit issues would help greatly with us assisting you with it. :idea:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
picture

Hi,

Here is a picture of it.

Unfortunately, this is all I have right now. I am in UCSD for school, my bike I keep at my parents home in Orange County. Won't be able to get to it until about 2 weeks from now.

Anyways, it's tucking in over the tire. Not completely over the tire, but the muffler is angled inwards. Wondering if its a problem? Also, you can see the muffler clamp not entirely making contact. Thanks. If it's not much help I'll "reopen" this thread once I can get better pictures. Thanks!

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
Play with the angle and shorting it by 5"..problem solve..

·
Registered
801 Posts
Loosen it up at the mid pipe and turn the midpipe slightly until you reach your desired angle :thumbsup:

·
Registered
801 Posts
You need to twist the midpipe closer to the swingarm to get the muffler a little more straight

·
Registered
798 Posts
almost looks like the muffler clamp isn't put on correctly .. the two tabs on the muffler clamp should be touching each other with the bolt going through them .. from the pictures it looks like one is mounted on the outside of the mounting position and the other side is mounted on the opposite side (nut, muffler tab, mounting tab, muffler tab, bolt) when it should be (nut, mounting tab, muffler tab, muffler tab, bolt) that is starting from the tire and working out

and the way that mid pipe is made looks like you have to twist counter clockwise

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
almost looks like the muffler clamp isn't put on correctly .. the two tabs on the muffler clamp should be touching each other with the bolt going through them .. from the pictures it looks like one is mounted on the outside of the mounting position and the other side is mounted on the opposite side (nut, muffler tab, mounting tab, muffler tab, bolt) when it should be (nut, mounting tab, muffler tab, muffler tab, bolt) that is starting from the tire and working out

and the way that mid pipe is made looks like you have to twist counter clockwise
What he said. I have Scorpion on my 05 and can testify that it can fit perfectly. The clamp is on wrong for sure. I agree with cutting the can shorter. I did mine after 2 years and only wish I had done it earlier, sounds way better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks!

hey thanks. now I see my mistake. thanks for pointing that out. bleh first time I ever installed a slip on. I guess it shows! haha will get to fixing that properly.

·
Registered
636 Posts
i got a 05 with a scorpion slip on. to late now but you should have got the shorty race extreme..

dont say shit about the gold. its painted black now. i didnt do it, i almost didnt buy the bike because of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks

thanks guys. I turned the exhaust and got it to the angle I wanted. I also remounted the clamp and it's perfect. thanks for all your help. here's a video.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts