Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys; traded off the 06 ZX10R for a Aprilia SX550 Supermoto last spring. Though the SX is a hell of a ride.....i had to fess up that the small motor limited much of the sort of riding that i enjoy.

So i worked out a deal this past fall and traded it off for a 04R1 and some money.

My impressions of the R1 are pretty good. I love the style! It handles much better than my ZX10 in the corners. But....its motor outright feels weak in comparison. My ZX10R was a beast, while the R1 feels like a 2 stroke needing to spin up to a powerband around 10k. I know its no ZX10, but i do enjoy the ride, i did some custom work to it this fall (pics soon).

I also picked up a 2000 RC51. No power, pretty classic style.......but good god does it sound good with Jardine exhaust and it handles like a knife!!! It honestly feels like it has 1/2 the HP of the ZX10, can't feel its weight too bad......but power feels low low low. Bike was in pretty good shape other than 10 years worth of little wear and nicks. I just did it all glossy black...pics of it soon also.

Anyhooter, thats what i been up to.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
:ttiwwop:

You can not talk about anything on ZX10.net without pic's!! Forum rules

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will guys, the RC is still apart at the moment. Should have it back together by the weekend. The full body R1 is currently just sit'n wait'n for spring. I can get some pics when i put the RC together. My other R1 project bike is the one you will all want to see pics of......KX450F shrouds, R1 race seat, monster type front end......way custom and supermoto look'n liter bike!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ah an RC51, loved mine for sure and 60lbs weight reduction did wonders as well.
if you need info on the Rc51 or help with some modding let me know, there are some cheap ways to drop weight.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i love the rc51, it is such a nice looking bike. i hear they overheat real fast though because of the side mounted radiators.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
well lets just say they gte very warm if in traffic, but there is ways to counter this as a manual fan override or once the bike is on the fans are on works very well.
putting in some rad fins, helps and the radiator scoops does wonders as well.

Was running a front mount radiator set-up on my bike worked awesome as long as not istting in any traffic.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys.
As for the RC51, yea its down on power and heavy compared to the liter bikes......but man i love the bike. Several factors never really allowed me to become completely happy with my 06 ZX10 (lack of power was not one of them :mrgreen: )

My RC51 is going to be my daily driver for the most part. I intend to rack up some good miles on it. Depending on how it holds up I intend to either replace the motor or just rebuild it next fall.

My bike does have a manual operating fan and i bought some radiator fins to plop on her as well. Few little moto cross tips and items to help cool it a tad as well.

As for the style, yea i love it. Classic lines and look to it.........and in solid black its HOT! Prob be hot in summer too, ahahaha.

·
Registered
913 Posts
bump for pics?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think thats a common trait with the power band on Yamahas. Even my YZF600r has some low end grunt, but it doesn't feel like it's really got any steam until about 7000 RPM. Then suddenly WHAM, here's all your horsepower.

I would really like to have a RC51 purely b/c or the noise it makes with after market exhaust. I believe I could listen to one of those idle all day long.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
one thing i missed about it for sure is not to commona nd the sound fo the gear driven cams...especially with the cam gear silencers removed...damn that bike revved up fast

·
Registered
227 Posts
Pics? How are things in the nasty?

·
Registered
196 Posts
hey man i have an rc51 as well as a 10r and yea they handle like its on rails ....little underpowered but man in the twisties look out cause you can drag on every turn ....my jeans can vogue for it ....just wanted to my 2 cents in !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts