Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting an M4 sometime... I have no idea what to buy or where to buy it...

any pointers on price, what to look for, what not to look @?

·
Registered
373 Posts
http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=56

pick this one up, It's like $750+/- depending where you get it from. Impactguns.com has some instock last I checked. Good gun (I own 1 lol) they cheap and are accurate as hell with proper scope mounted:wink:

If you've got the money to blow right now buy a colt M4

http://www.impactguns.com/store/COLT-LE6920BF.html

they not much better than DPMS from what I hear, but they all good. :thumbsup:

PM djblacksuperman also, He know's his AR-15/M4 stuff.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
over the years I've had many many many black rifles....they are almost all the same....Stay away from Olympic

Buy:

DPMS
Rock River
Bushmaster
Stag
Armalite

Don't spend any more than $1K....Academy of all places are selling Bushmaster M4's for $999 right now. However depending on the state you live in makes all the difference in the world...If your in Tx, Ar, LA you can get them pretty cheap.

Colt is just a name. Personally I have always liked DPMS. The AR lower recievers almost all come from the same Un named manufacturer. If you buy a minimum of 10,000 lowers, they will stamp whatever name you want..DPMS, Bushmaster, Stag..etc.

Some gun shops are raping customers....don't get rapped. PM me if you need some more info.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
All I can say is in the miltary when I was in; I loved my m4 so much when I got out I bought one asap, there going run you between $600-2000 grand for a m4 for sure depending on who you buy it from ect. But you will find out soon enough what they are all about, no classes here, buy one and take it out the a range and watch people turn there heads haha. I took mine out a couple weeks ago to a local gun range and everyone in my line up where I was had little .22 or.9mm pistols ect. I checked everything and threw the mag up in my lower and started throwing them down range and when I got done with my 30 round mag I looked over and half of them were looking at me, heck one guy even started asking if he could shoot it

·
Registered
648 Posts
There fun guns to own, but expensive and can get very expensive to shoot unless your loading your own ammo. I've owned two so far and sold my last one last year. Had Rock River build a complete custom ar15 for me. Had just over $2000 in mine after everything was said and done. It was a great gun and loads of fun to shoot, but i saw no point in keeping such a high dollar gun when i could sale it and use that money else where... which i ended up doing, and sold it for $100 more then what i had in it! As far as what brands to buy... I dunno about most people but i'm VERY picky when it comes to my toys... I'd go with either RockRiver, Colt, or a Bushmaster! Also, you can check www.gunbroker.com which you can find good deals on sometimes and it's basically like Ebay for guns!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
gunsamerica.com is pretty good to get a feel for that the market is like for gun prices. If I see a gun that I am not sure if is a deal or not I check and what they go for on GA.
Most pawn shops have an FFL license so it you will generally cost you an extra $25 plus shipping to buy of the net.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
come join the Marine Corps, well give you one and even let you kill some baddies with it.

i would be a terrible recruiter.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I have to ask how do you like the marines cause the last I heard you all were on a 7 month rotation or something? Just got out of the army not to long ago, bonus was shit that they were trying to give me to re-enlist for another 6...

·
Registered
680 Posts
You can get a good deal on the Colt 6920... I'd avoid the dpms. Check out
m4carbine.net for some good info. I have Colts, bushy's and a dpms 308 so I'm not down on the other brands but there is a difference in quality.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I have a buddy who is a LEO and he has a Colt and loves it.

Im in NY state, so, shipping one and dealing w/ all that crap is kinda outta the question, our gun laws are kinda strict... Im good friends w/ a couple gun shop owners and Im sure they can get me what I need... I figured Id spend $1k or more on it.

Id join the marines if I was a little younger and not about to get married... Its crossed my mind several times and I should have went in when I finished college... oh well... :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If the price isn't much of a factor, get a gas piston operated bolt model. More reliable and easier on the cleanup. Almost zilch carbon on the bolt. Just my 2 cents.
I run 10,000 rounds thru one of my DPMS rifles, I've never cleaned anything on it. I purposly wanted to see how long it would last....its still running smoothly. only misfires/jams were from the magazines misfeeding and a couple of duds shells

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm not saying that the AR/M4 is unreliable. I've had 2 Colt models and an H&K gas piston model and out of the three, the Colts were "less" reliable. I was using a shorter barrel though. One recommendation is non-tilt followers in the mags. Mag-Pull makes 'em. Pretty good.
As far as cleaning, to me it's like my bike. Sure I could try to see how long my 10R will last without an oil change but what's the 10 mins it takes to tear it down and clean the gun?

·
Damn I'm Getting Old
995 Posts
Based on that chart, I'm kind of liking my M&P. Woulda bought a Colt if there was one available when I was shopping, but I'm happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
648 Posts
That chart is such B.S. :jerkit: I dunno who made that or came up with it, but you can pretty much order what you want! My RockRiver i had was custom built to my specs and had several things on it that wasn't checked on that chart. And before someone says it.... "well maybe that chart is based on stock guns they make and build for the public" the chart is still wrong, cause there are many different stock guns that you can get with some of the options not checked on that chart as well!

·
Registered
680 Posts
That chart is such B.S. :jerkit: I dunno who made that or came up with it, but you can pretty much order what you want! My RockRiver i had was custom built to my specs and had several things on it that wasn't checked on that chart. And before someone says it.... "well maybe that chart is based on stock guns they make and build for the public" the chart is still wrong, cause there are many different stock guns that you can get with some of the options not checked on that chart as well!
It's a giude to cover the basics...not the end all be all but it is a good place for a newb to start. The chart covers what it covers, not customs or other models:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts