Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the slip on ECU tune. My question is, if the stock O2 is disabled, why do I have to disconnect the sensor? Thought the ECU would not even know its there. Don't want to remove it completely so I don't like the cord flapping around under the tank.

Also, if there is a FI light on, is there a certain amount of drive cycles it takes of normal operation and it will go off on its own?

·
Registered
450 Posts
some flash doesn't disable the operation of the O2 sensor just the light on the dash, you need to disconnect so the system goes in an open loop. and if FI is on it won't go out by itself, pull the code repair what need to be fixed and on Gen4 after repair, it goes out on Gen5 you need to clear it with a scanner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if there was nothing to repair or it got fixed on a 2016 and came on erroneously. You telling me the only way this light goes out is with a scanner and won't shut itself off after X amount of drive time with no codes registered? And the ECU website specifically says "disables stock O2 sensor" and it can remain plugged in. Instructions upon receipt state to disconnect the O2 sensor. Wtf.

·
Registered
450 Posts
That is on cars with OBDII which you can drive the car for X amount (20 cycle) that code goes away if reediness system can't see the fault anymore. mostly is the emission code or called soft code. the ECU on the bike don't have that capability.

one way to find out though ride it and when goes out let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I just wondered if anyone else had experience with it. Installed it last night and they were closed. I'm sure they will know though. Thanks guys.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,687 Posts
Yes, the FI light will go out on it's own provided certain conditions are met and the proper clearing procedure is followed. It's in the service manual. The alternative way to do it is through a scan tool.

I would think that disconnecting the O2 sensor would be preferred even though it may "disable" the sensor. Just disconnect it and zip tie the connector up so it's not flopping around. That way you know for sure. And then you'll know for sure what's happening and can figure out why the FI light is on. I would pull the error code to be sure that it's the O2 sensor causing the light and not something else. Frankly, if the O2 sensor is disabled, I wouldn't expect the FI light to be on at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, schnitz says the FI light being triggered from a o2 sensor is disabled, but the sensor is still active, hence-disconnect it. The FI light being on won't go out unless the code is cleared by the dealer or a reader. I think the code was triggered when I plugged everything in EXCEPT the little connector on the first plastic piece you remove to access the ECU. The bike wouldn't start initially and then I saw it unplugged. Plugged in, fired right up but had the check engine light on. Was probably a fuel relay connection and all is well but the light is on. I'll probably invest in a KDS cable interface for an OBDII connector and just clear it myself. Thanks guys. Bike was a beast already and will probably be more fun now unrestricted.

·
Registered
450 Posts
So, schnitz says the FI light being triggered from a o2 sensor is disabled, but the sensor is still active, hence-disconnect it. The FI light being on won't go out unless the code is cleared by the dealer or a reader. I think the code was triggered when I plugged everything in EXCEPT the little connector on the first plastic piece you remove to access the ECU. The bike wouldn't start initially and then I saw it unplugged. Plugged in, fired right up but had the check engine light on. Was probably a fuel relay connection and all is well but the light is on. I'll probably invest in a KDS cable interface for an OBDII connector and just clear it myself. Thanks guys. Bike was a beast already and will probably be more fun now unrestricted.
Ok, but skyDork is correct there is a way to clear it without the scanner but very hard to meet those conditions and I never had luck to do it on any ECU. here it is Good luck.

If the Kawasaki Diagnostic System (KDS Ver.3) is not available, do the following procedures. •Turn on the ignition switch and start the engine. •Fulfill the all conditions shown below.
1. Run the engine more than 10 minutes. 2. Keep the idling speed more than 30 seconds. 3. Run the vehicle more than 5 minutes at a speed of 40 km/h (25 mph) or more. 4. Turn the ignition switch off. •Repeat the above procedures 3 times. •Start the engine and check that the warning indicator lights (LED) go off.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Am i the only one that has never heard of this companies ecu flash?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,687 Posts
Am i the only one that has never heard of this companies ecu flash?
No, you're not the only one. I'm sure there's a few people in Nova Scotia that haven't. You're just the only one on this forum who hasn't heard of them. :helmet:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like a problem that I didn't plug in a critical part problem before I blame the flash. We shall see. Bike runs great...on the stand LOL.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The way the O2 sensor works on the OEM bike, the code is disabled from displaying with the sensor disconnected. But with the O2 sensor still hooked up, it actively reports back to the bike with a voltage value. That voltage value then determines how much fuel is adjusted until the observed voltage from the O2 sensor falls back into OEM set values.

So, disable it in the flash, disconnect the quick connect clip for the OEM sensor no closed loop fueling control.

Even in the PCV install directions it states you need to flash your ECU and remove the O2 sensor to eliminate the closed loop fueling and be able to make adjustments via the piggyback fuel module that aren't then automatically overridden in that area (5-100% TPS from 0-8000 RPMs).
Wow that's interesting, this bike is crazy. Where is the quick connect clip that needs to be unplugged? I see it says under tank just wondering how deep as I didn't need filter change or anything yet..

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Just lift your tank prop it up and it's more towards the rhs(if your sitting on your bike)just above your primary injectors!give the wires a gentle pull close to the 02 sensor and you should see what connector you need to separate

1 - 20 of 27 Posts