Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start by saying i have only been riding for 9 months and i already have over 19000 mile total 4 thousand was on a 2012 ninja 250 and the rest have been on a 2010 zx10 that was brand new.

My buddy owns a new 2012 zx6 his first bike. helped him learn how to ride so 3000 miles later he is almost scraping pegs on the ground and the bike is all stock.

we went riding on this mountain road called route 33 near decatur al its a exspert riding road. hills were you can not see the next curve or what is on the other side. and turns that will test your skills and your bikes.

He went over a hill doing a 140 and caught a lot of air but there was a 70 degree turn rite after need less to say he stuck the landing and held the turn.but since then he has been fearful and really does not want to ride anymore is there anyway i can make him change his mind.

·
The Pace
7,348 Posts
yea, the problem was that he was not ready for what he was already doing. Or, in another way, had no idea what he was doing, but thought he did. I swear the hardest thing I have ever learned was doing the twists. A bunch of dirt helps, but the dang speed kinda scared me UNTIL my fookin brain began to sort out what was going on with the speed. What I'm saying is that the brain begins to SLOWLY figure what is going on in terms of SLOWING things down, in combination with all the technical stuff that Code talks about in Twist Wrist II.

What happened to him happens all the time, but usually at mega slow speeds. Problem is mega tight on the grips which forces the bike to just wanna get rid of its rider, and the rider knows the dang bike HATES him. Like asking a chick out that you already knows hates ya. Doesn't work, ya know.

So, ask him to read this and tell about Twist Wrist II booklet and wait to see if he'll start over. Also, ask him to take a bunch of moto classes whenever he can, like superbike.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Riding like that with almost no experience is just insane. 3000 miles is nothing. Sorry to say I know way too many people that thought they knew what they were doing and got in over their heads way too fast. May they all rest in peace. I am just glad your friend survived the experience, sounds like it could have ended far worse.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Hes lucky hes still alive if he caught air going that fast! Scary as hell when that happens then you start to think about all the things that could have happened or went wrong and it is scary:eyecrazy:

·
Slow Poke
5,585 Posts
With some people all it takes is one good scare and they are done. For the rest of us it's lesson learned. There will always be close calls when you push it like it sounded like he was. Either not knowing the road well enough or just not paying attention. It happens man. But like said you or anyone else are not gonna change his mind. Once someone loses it there's no persuasion.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
631 Posts
With some people all it takes is one good scare and they are done. For the rest of us it's lesson learned. There will always be close calls when you push it like it sounded like he was. Either not knowing the road well enough or just not paying attention. It happens man. But like said you or anyone else are not gonna change his mind. Once someone loses it there's no persuasion.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

+1... Glad he is ok. Give him some time.. It may take a few weeks, but he will wanna ride again.. I went into a wobble on the track after hitting the nitrous.. and it scared the shit out of me.. it took me 2 weeks to get back into the groove again

·
Registered
241 Posts
IMO you and your buddy have dodged the sometimes fatal mistake of confusing the compatibility of a sportbike with racetrack speeds on regular roads. My buddies and I dodged the mistake too, luckily before any of us got maimed or killed. I would say if you want to ride the potential of the bike take it to the controlled environment of the track where you might find you're not as fast as you thought! I know I did hahaha, but you and your buddy will learn a ton of skills that will help you on the street and make you a safer rider. He will also probably find his confidence again on the track!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Nope if he's lost it he's lost it. For his safety an everyone else's he should sell the bike and take up knitting or some thing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
:+1: Lmao

There's a roo on the loose in the top paddock.

Hope he gets over it.It might take time.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The only advice to you and your friend is that you guys are fucking idiots!!! Not because you like to go fast on pubkic roads, but because you ride around on a 250 for a couple months, then a man bike for a couple more, and all the sudden you are some kind of expert? Go do some trackdays and see how slow and sloppy you really are, that may put things into perspective...If you and your friend cant learn how to act right on a bike, tell him to just hang it up and sell the bike because hes just anither statistic on the road...Just sayin...

·
Registered
169 Posts
The only advice to you and your friend is that you guys are fucking idiots!!! Not because you like to go fast on pubkic roads, but because you ride around on a 250 for a couple months, then a man bike for a couple more, and all the sudden you are some kind of expert? Go do some trackdays and see how slow and sloppy you really are, that may put things into perspective...If you and your friend cant learn how to act right on a bike, tell him to just hang it up and sell the bike because hes just anither statistic on the road...Just sayin...
:+2: Well said. Just another statistic on the road...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

:crackup:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
To the OP, sounds as though you and your friend are pretty fortunate. There really is no such thing as an "expert" road, nor novice, they are just roads. It's just how he chose to ride the road that got him in trouble. The fact that he can ride 140 on any road, especially admitting you're both a beginner, tells me that he likely doesn't need to be riding again, and neither do you, if you ride the same, and i suspect you do. Now i'm not going to rail on you for going 140 on a public road, but i am going to get on ya for going 140 on a road you obviously don't know. If you're going to go that fast, you better have a damn good idea which way the road goes and how to make your bike go that way. And i'm not going to get onto you and say that both of you have too much bike, because i actually believe either of your rides are just fine for a beginner. You just need to learn how to modulate that throttle, it's not a light switch and works even when not yanked all the way round.

Fact is, motorcycling is dangerous. It's dangerous when you do everything perfect, so it's especially dangerous when you ride over your head. Settle down, slow down, ride responsibly, and you'll greatly reduce SOME of the risks associated with the sport/hobby we all enjoy. Good luck, i was once exactly where you are, and i've made it 20 years on the road without an accident. I've had many close calls (some my fault, some not), seen lots of wrecks, but i'm still here and still love motorbikes. No reason you and your buddy can't do the same.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This. First off, dragging hard parts is NOT a good thing and NOT the sign of an advanced rider. It's a sign of a noob with jacked up body position cranking the bike too far over. And +1 to what someone else said about 3,000 miles not being anything, I've got 60,000 miles and a bunch of track days under my belt and I'm still learning things. Your best bet would be to go back to a 600, learn how to ride, then upgrade in the future. There's a much easier learning curve with the 600s since you can actually make a mistake and not have it bite you in the ass.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
hey thanks for all the help. he is a great rider for how new he is. For someone to handle some stuff like that is crazy he just needs to reconnect his nuts
As Dirty Harry once said; "A man's gotta know his limitations." Never attempt to out-ride your talent. I hit a guard rail at 70.....6 months in rehab. Throughout that time, I admitted that it was 100% my fault....no excuses. Once your friend "makes peace" with himself, and realizes he was being completely stupid and fully realizes the limit of his capabilities, he'll probably come back to riding. If not, so be it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.