Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.satoracing.com

It seems that sato racing is now offering a full system with a shorter oval can for our bikes. In the past it seems they only offered that long round fugly can. The pic they have on their website shows the shorty can of a K5, but Dan Kyle informed me in an e-mail that it is available for our bikes.

·
Registered
330 Posts
what about power #'s? have they improved at all w/ the different shape?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would assume they are probably still the same. I think they finally realized that their exhaust was lacking a bit in the looks dept. I know, who cares about looks, but it does matter to some.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Honestly, everybody cares weather they admit it or not. its just who can cope better w/ something more than the other.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
41ants said:
In the past it seems they only offered that long round fugly can.
Now that's not nice. Not eveyone wants the Ricky Racer look, and I love the look of all that Ti on the side of my bike (where it belongs, as opposed to the new 919 look) and it reminds me of E-Boz's ZX7RR superbike. The shorter cans just scream "Look at me! I'm loud and squidly!" and I don't see the appeal of anything other than bare metal or CF. Then again, that's me - function over form, all day long.

Before I bought the Sato, I called Dan and asked him which pipe made the best numbers on his dyno and he said Sato, even over the Akro Evo (of which he had one for testing and offered to sell to me for $1100).

I love my Sato - it looks good (read: simple, not 'bling' or ostentatious), rumbles at idle, howls up top, and makes great power all over. What's not to like (unless you're a form over function type)?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Prior to the shorty can Sato also had an oval canister available since 03 but i agree the trend seems to be short/oval or both.

BD

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
But the oval only came (or comes?) in Ti, not in CF.

The Sato was my first choice, but I got such a good price on a barely-used Akra from a friend that I had to take it. Sato welds are works of art.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yeah, and the round can looks way cool, but I like how my oval tucks in tight and exits right below the turn signal (yes, I'm lame and still have all my stock signal stuff and reflectors on). It doesn't interrupt airflow at all, and the opening is big enough to fit my fist!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I also spent some time today talking to Dan. He said the same thing; the Sato does make more power than the Arata and that Akro that he still has laying around. LOL I asked him about the Shorty can and he said that it makes less power than the standard size can on the K5. HE DID NOT TEST IT ON THE 10, so he couldn't say if the same would hold true. I am now starting to lean back towards the SATO TI OVAL system... BTW, that system only makes 4whp more than the slipon and the full system makes slightly less power than the slipon.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Dan has carried Sato for some time and probably put much more time in creating a map for that pipe on his personal bike (zx-10) than he did on that akro that he ordered. Also, his dyno testing wasn't done on an EVO2, so who knows how the EVO2 compares to the Sato?

I'll take one of each please and throw an TI-FORCE in their as well. LOL

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
lavudyar said:
Isn't the Evo2 the shorty?
Yes....
Also, and I can't tell by looking at pictures, according to Dan the Sato is the same length as the Arata. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay. Measure it from inlet to oulet and then measure it from end-cap to end-cap.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am Akro all the way or the Arrow the rest all fall behind them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ahhhhh, decisions! I think I am going to "PONY" (pun intended) up and spring for the Sato after the holidays.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts