Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in October, I rode my ZX10 down to Lawn Guyland NY and took the Ocean Parkway.

After a few miles, there was some flooding on the roadway, only about 4-5" deep. I slowly rode thru it. Soon after, my oil pressure warning lamp came on. I shut it off quickly.

After checking oil level and verifying pressure by loosening filter(damn those headers get HOT!), I concluded that it was a faulty pressure sending unit.

Within a few miles, the light dimmed and eventually went out. After reaching my destination, I looked for the sending unit. Found it on the very bottom of the engine. My theory was that I soaked it in salt water when I went thru the flood.

Fast forward to today, I took the 10 to work. We had snow yesterday, so the roads are all salty today. Sure enough, the oil light came on again today! I ignored it because the engine sounded normal. When I got home, I hosed off the bottom of the engine with fresh water and now the light is off again.

Anyone ever experience this? What do you think I should do? Cover the switch with di-electric grease? Silicone maybe?

Ideas?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Rough math but Sea water (salt water) is 96 times more electrically conductive than drinking water (fresh). Your salt water was making a path to ground for the wire to the sensor instead of the path to ground through the sensor.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
sounds right.....di-electric grease or silicone,either is good in my book.
:+1:

Doesn't even have to be salty water, lots of people have had this happen in normal rain storms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts