Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time doing this. So I am tinkering with my suspension trying to set my sag and I have these numbers for the rear:

Static sag: 495.3mm
Free sag: 518.6mm
Rider sag: 480.06mm
Which gave me : 38.54mm Sag

I am trying to get around 35mm, should I be compressing the spring of lengthening it to get down to 35mm?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Tighten it. Right now you have 38 with you on it, you want less movement to get to 35mm of change or sag.

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tighten it. Right now you have 38 with you on it, you want less movement to get to 35mm of change or sag.
Awesome thanks, For some reason I cant tighten it or loosen it. And I have a shock tool.

This was one of the first things I found when searching the net, and the one I used to find my numbers up top but there are bits of info I thought he could have given to make the vid better.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it the same concept for the front? If I need to get a lower sag number I need to tighten, or compress the front?

·
Registered
874 Posts
This was one of the first things I found when searching the net, and the one I used to find my numbers up top but there are bits of info I thought he could have given to make the vid better.
I had the video bookmarked and when I went to it, it wasn't there. The one I sent you seems to be the one that replaced the original one I found. The original one was done a gsxr and was way more detailed and informed (also i think it was done in inches instead of mm). He covered actually adjusting the rear spring tension and setting rebound and preload and all that... kinda sux bc I was gunna use that video step by step to tune mine...

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
This is my first time doing this. So I am tinkering with my suspension trying to set my sag and I have these numbers for the rear:

Static sag: 495.3mm
Free sag: 518.6mm
Rider sag: 480.06mm
Which gave me : 38.54mm Sag

I am trying to get around 35mm, should I be compressing the spring of lengthening it to get down to 35mm?
whats your free sag#'s....

EDIT: never mind I saw you posted that what is you weight?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I am riding an 2003 zx6rr and my weight is about 235ish with gear on. I think I got my sag good, I had my wife come out and measure while I sat on the bike.

These are the numbers I got:
Rear Susp.
Static sag 495.3mm
Unladen Free sag 518.6mm
Laden Rider sag 485.14mm
33.46 Rear Sag now after adjustments

Front
Static sag 14.1''= 358.4mm
Free sag 14.9''= 378.46mm
Rider sag 14.8''= 375.92mm
13.5''= 342.9= 37.56 Front Sag after adjustments

I hope these numbers are good. I rode for an hour or so today and I could tell within 5 minutes that it was better. I also put the compression and dampening back to stock settings. I know its probably not sufficient with my 230-235lb size but, the previous owner had had them all jacked up, everything was all uneven.

·
Registered
512 Posts
the numbers are a baseline, now play with it. Make small adjustments before you ride to get it how you want. 37mm is pretty soft still. 33mm is good

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Well I am riding an 2003 zx6rr and my weight is about 235ish with gear on. I think I got my sag good, I had my wife come out and measure while I sat on the bike.

These are the numbers I got:
Rear Susp.
Static sag 495.3mm
Unladen Free sag 518.6mm
Laden Rider sag 485.14mm
33.46 Rear Sag now after adjustments

Front
Static sag 14.1''= 358.4mm
Free sag 14.9''= 378.46mm
Rider sag 14.8''= 375.92mm
13.5''= 342.9= 37.56 Front Sag after adjustments

I hope these numbers are good. I rode for an hour or so today and I could tell within 5 minutes that it was better. I also put the compression and dampening back to stock settings. I know its probably not sufficient with my 230-235lb size but, the previous owner had had them all jacked up, everything was all uneven.
you need new springs, at your weight you may get sag set but you will bind your stock springs, and your free sag#'s will not even be close

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you need new springs, at your weight you may get sag set but you will bind your stock springs, and your free sag#'s will not even be close
Yeah, I kind of figured that but, this is just my beater bike. Mainly used for school commutes, hanging out and occasional spirited runs. I really didn't want to spend extra money on this bike. I am going to attempt to do a bike build this winter, and on that one I was gonna get good springs.

When you say bind what exactly do you mean?
I looked on the raceteck site and saw some for $110. Are these dwcent ones and is that a good price? Any suggestions.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Yeah, I kind of figured that but, this is just my beater bike. Mainly used for school commutes, hanging out and occasional spirited runs. I really didn't want to spend extra money on this bike. I am going to attempt to do a bike build this winter, and on that one I was gonna get good springs.

When you say bind what exactly do you mean?
I looked on the raceteck site and saw some for $110. Are these dwcent ones and is that a good price? Any suggestions.
you will collapse your springs all the way and they bind

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Im no tuner for suspension but a racer bud has been showin me some stuff..
Once yer sag is set,go ride...Dbl chk sag again after a good hard ride cause the oils in the suspension will thin out and your suspension will feel off..
Once sag is all good then you got high and low speed compression you need to play with...Thats another story that never ends..Make sure you get a pen and paper and jot down every change you make,pre load,hi/low speed compression and tire pressures and be sure you dont have the chain to tight....
LOL tomorrow everythin with change again...Different roads,ride style and outside temps..lol..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts