Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Straying away from the epic battle of helmet law discussion...

Let's say hypothetically that the Safety-Nazi Gods have their way and all new motorcycles must now have airbags(like the honda prototype). It adds 15lbs to the bike but in tests shows to dramaticly reduce injury in a frontal collision accident. Now if you only rode on the street, would you remove the airbag(relatively easy to remove in an hour) to save 15lbs or keep it there for your safety? What's the maximum weight you would except before ripping the thing off? Would you still rip it off it it only added 3lbs?

And no BS about keeping your current bike or buying a used one!:thefinger

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
id rip it off if it was 3lbs.. i cant see an airbag saving my life on a bike. i wear my gear and helmet.. 9 out of 10 times your ejected from the bike.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
I'd also rip it off.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
When I T-boned a car that took a left in front of me, the only injures (worth mentioning) were caused by the bike's fuel tank. (is everyone wincing yet???) If the air bag protected all the way down to the crotch I may keep it, but all I've seen is those that would keep you from flying into a car. I was Lucky in that I hit a small car and flew over it. ....I dunno... This time last year I would have said in an instant that for 15 lbs it's got to go. Even for 3lbs. Now that i'm not so concerned with max performance and am just concetrating on my skills, saftey, and fun... I think I'd keep it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'm up in the air about this one :dontknow: :dontknow: ... If I didn't notice it and it was 3lbs. I would probably keep it.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I've been in 6 lowsides in the last decade, I don't see how an airbag would have done anything besides piss me off more.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Andy said:
I've been in 6 lowsides in the last decade, I don't see how an airbag would have done anything besides piss me off more.
:crackup:

If I were still riding on the street, I think I'd keep it. Just so I never had to wonder what if I had left it on. But the point is rather mute, seeing as how I don't ride on the street.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
deezuhl said:
id rip it off if it was 3lbs.. i cant see an airbag saving my life on a bike. i wear my gear and helmet.. 9 out of 10 times your ejected from the bike.
:+1:

The "safety nazis" need to leave things the f*ck alone, especially bikes. I don't ride because I'm some badass thrillseeker or anything but motorcycling is dangerous. And personally I don't want it to change. The only thing you could do to make it safe would be to build those enclosed concept motorcycles you see sometimes and surround the rider(s) with airbags or maybe fill the inside with packing peanuts. :badteeth:

I don't like crashing because it hurts and I definitely don't want to die. That's why I wear top quality gear at all times and 80+% of my riding in the last 5 years has been on a track somewhere. But when I do ride on the street, I don't want everything being controlled by electronics and even if it could help in a crash, which I don't see how it would, I don't want a big pillow flying out at me if I screw up.

:dontknow: just my .02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts