Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it. I've read that you should wait, but was curious if you guys actually wait or just go ahead and make the switch at the first change?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine has had it in since Brock did my dyno break in. So after 20 miles or so..
But going to have to confirm For sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
966 Posts
Can't specifically quote gen 5 but I was told gen 4 came with full synthetic from factory and I'm not sure why they'd change with new bike

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
"Safe" is probably not the right word to use. Yeah, you can do it at any point and it likely isn't going to affect anything and cause your motor to blow up. Whether or not you switch that early is up to you and will depend on how you broke-in the motor. I probably wouldn't do it that soon myself. But then again, I'd be on my second oil/filter change by then.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I go full synthetic on all my bikes from the first service itself. Did the same to my gen5. Havent had any issues eve thankfully

·
Gen 5 Now!!
1,131 Posts
Switched to Motul 300V @ 52 miles with first oil change on my new Gen5. Did so with my Gen 3 as well that has over 24K miles on it now. no issues ever

·
Registered
569 Posts
Switched to Motul 300V @ 52 miles with first oil change on my new Gen5. Did so with my Gen 3 as well that has over 24K miles on it now. no issues ever
Did you use 300v for the whole 24,000 miles you have on your gen 3? If so, at what frequency did you change your oil? What type of riding are/were you doing?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The conventional wisdom is that synthetic is a slightly better lubricant than fossil oil thus the motor will not break in properly. It would take a while to figure this out, thousands of miles, maybe tens of thousands. Synthetic provides longer drain intervals, maybe, but after five track days my semi-synth looked like mud, so I'd hesitate to go longer just because it's synthetic. There is likely a slight but measurable gain in power (Honda claims this for its oils).

It really is going to be what makes you feel like you did the right thing as most people (other than scout who is not known for frequent oil changes) will never keep the bike long enough to see what happens long-term nor will they have collected the data to make the comparison.

Most guys seem to run the conventional oil for 3-4K miles, then go to semi-synthetic, and then to a full synthetic at 6-8K miles if they think about it at all.

Oil is something a lot of guys worry about, it's probably not worth it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Done a lot of looking into motor oil and it usually leads to the same conclusion; oil is oil. As long as you change it enough, keep enough in it etc... I don't think there is anyone who could tell one engine produces more horsepower over another because one is running synthetic, blend or standard... Never in my life have I heard a winning driver at the end of a race say "I think my change from standard to a synthetic blend gave me the edge over my competition."

Now changing your oil in regard to breaking in a new bike is a totally different issue than synthetic versus conventional. Those who think they are smart by cutting the break-in period and changing the factory oil after 52 miles are wrong. It's also a myth that you need to be easy on your bike the first 100, 500, 1000 miles. Other than not cruising at the same rpm for long distances during the break-in period, you should drive the motor like you always intend on driving it. The factory oil is intended for the break in period. By changing the oil the first time to soon you cease the break-in thereby preventing all of the parts adequate time to properly seat.

You may not notice what you have done until 10 15 or 20 thousand miles or never, but those are the same people that come on here and ask why is my engine running a little hotter than whatever, or why do my lifters seem to click louder than whatever... So again in my opinion oil is oil, but how you break-in a new bike is critical.

If I find this write-up I had about the break-in period and what is actually happening during this time I will post it here.

Oh Yeah, and what I mean about oil is oil is I understand there is a difference between car oil and motorcycle oil and slipper clutch and such, I just don't think in terms of synthetic versus conventional other than the length of time between changes it makes no difference at all. Except the amount of money you keep in your wallet. Let's face it everyone here that says they run $20 a quart synthetic "Wonder" oil are also the same people that say "and I change it every 1000 miles". Why? If you change it every 1000 miles why not run the cheapest conventional oil you can find? Only making those oil companies richer...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts