Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His half brother is also sentenced to hang with him.
The verdict immediately goes before a panel for appeal, but the sentenced must be carried out within 30 days if the sentence is not over-turned.

·
I bleed Green!
2,612 Posts

The so-called Butcher of Baghdad, who was president of Iraq from 1979 until he was deposed by Coalition forces in April 2003, was convicted of the 1982 killings of 148 Shiites in the city of Dujail.

The visibly shaken former leader shouted "God is great!" as Iraq's High Tribunal announced his sentence.

Saddam's half brother and former intelligence chief Barzan Ibrahim, and Awad Hamed al-Bandar, head of the former Revolutionary Court, were sentenced to join Saddam on the gallows for the Dujail killings after an unsuccessful assassination attempt during a Saddam visit to the city 35 miles north of Baghdad.

·
GP Star/Official Spam Spotter
5,756 Posts
well i hope some of the violence will end with this news.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Much as I despise that bugger, I don't think this will end any of the violence. I would expect that the radical Muslims will treat Saddam as a martyr, which can't be good.

If he were locked in a cell forever then the Sunnis would be doing stuff to try to get him out. But if he's dead then he's treated as a martyr and idolized. Can't win. What's worse? I don't know.

There is no possible solution to the violence in the Middle East as long as the industrialized world keeps buying their oil, and *there* lies the real problem.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
GoFaster said:
Much as I despise that bugger, I don't think this will end any of the violence. I would expect that the radical Muslims will treat Saddam as a martyr, which can't be good.

If he were locked in a cell forever then the Sunnis would be doing stuff to try to get him out. But if he's dead then he's treated as a martyr and idolized. Can't win. What's worse? I don't know.

There is no possible solution to the violence in the Middle East as long as the industrialized world keeps buying their oil, and *there* lies the real problem.

you have a good point there, but i still say hang him and see what happen.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Much as I despise that bugger, I don't think this will end any of the violence. I

:+1:
The appeal might take a while, and they are trying to bring another case against him. I don't know if they will stay his execution until the new case.
What a mess...

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
This was a show trial that cost the American taxpayers $140,000,000. The outcome was never in doubt. Why didn't they just take him out and shoot him? They coulda used a M1 Abrahams 120 mm and not have to worry about a body to bury.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If your really cynical his excecution was announced shortly before the US mid term elections....

Given the trial has been such a total farce with about 100 different judges presiding and Saddam's defence laywers changing every 5 mins either because they get killed or intimidated off the case its hardly what one would call a fair and exhaustive trial....

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm not sure what effect this will have on the efforts in the middle east, i'm just amazed that they were actually able to get the death penalty for this guy with all the bleeding hearts around.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
rustang662k said:
I'm not sure what effect this will have on the efforts in the middle east, i'm just amazed that they were actually able to get the death penalty for this guy with all the bleeding hearts around.
Just show the bleeding hearts this web page http://www.kdp.pp.se/old/chemical.html

Here is a mild sample of what the butcher did to his own people, why would he not give WMD to the terrorist... (ya ya I kinow where he got the gas from). He was as close as a year out from building his own atomic bomb. That is pretty black and white too me........

Attachments

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
He was as close as a year out from building his own atomic bomb. That is pretty black and white too me........

Sure he was. All the equipment and enriched uranium just vanished. He, we didn't even look for it when we invaded Iraq. Simple folks see complex issues in simple terms, your are black and white.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
swjohnsey said:
He was as close as a year out from building his own atomic bomb. That is pretty black and white too me........

Sure he was. All the equipment and enriched uranium just vanished. He, we didn't even look for it when we invaded Iraq. Simple folks see complex issues in simple terms, your are black and white.
Shocker: New York Times Confirms Iraqi Nuclear Weapons Program

I'm sorry, did the New York Times just put on the front page that IRAQ HAD A NUCLEAR WEAPONS PROGRAM AND WAS PLOTTING TO BUILD AN ATOMIC BOMB?

Full Story: http://tks.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZTJjYzYzYmMwNjY3N2YwNWE5NDQ3ZTQzZDczZWU5N2Y=

Calling me a "simple folk" because I have the ability for abstract thought is a cheap shot. You ability to not come to a conclusion because something is "complex" shows perhaps, you inability for logical thinking. Iraq was shoping for yellow cake. Terrorist had been meeting with Iraqi goverment officals. To say that we did not even look for "it" when we invaded Iraq shows your lack of keeping yourself informed of facts and current events. The Iraq had a nuke program story has been all over the news this past week... (link above).
Don't sell yourself short, I'm sure that if you want you could come to a conclusion to even the most complex issues....... I realize that I am in no way a great thinker or I am right all the time (hey at least we agree on some things)..... I do know when something does or does not make sense to me.....

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
You need to get up to speed on nuclear weapon technology. They mere fact that they were "shopping" for yellow cake is a very good indicator that they were more than three years out from producing a bomb even under the best of circumstances. They had not produced any of the equipment necessary for enrichment. All they seemed to have was a plan. The equipment necessary to enrich uranium is massive. The electrical power necessary to enrich is huge. I was estimated that 1/4 of the total electral power of the U.S. was used to enrich the uranium for the single uranium bomb we dropped during WWII (the other two bombs, the one tested at White Sands and the one dropped on Nagasaki) were plutonium bombs. There is no way that the massive infrastructure necessary to build a bomb could exist and not have been discovered in three years. The only folks who were convinced by that story are folks who really don't understand what the process is. Sorry for the slight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts