Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Just trolling
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone have/had the mazda RX8 before or this type of engine tbh this is my first time actually hearing of engine like this in a car( ive heard of em but really didnt know what they put them in) i love the look and the reviews look pretty good of the rx8's but wanted to see if anyone on here had any background in these. do they need alot of maintenance? are they reliable? and for anyone who has had/or does have the rx8's how do you like it? thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I had the RX7 (Better than the RX8 IMO)
Rotary needs TLC. Change oil frequent. Say every 3,000kms. And use Dino Juice. Non-synthetic oil. And keep the cooling system in a healthy state. Insure all oil hoses are good. They tend to go hard from the heat and burst and dump oil at an alarming rate. I know had this on the freeway. Rotor blades knackered rebuild engine. Still would buy another. Respond pretty good to mods.

·
Registered
235 Posts
As time goes on Mazda manages to make the rotary engine alot more reliable and better.

The rotary engine kinda drives like a bike motor... power is delivered higher up and it LOVES to be revved.

The rotary also responds so well to turbos because it puts out ALOT of exhaust which makes spinning the turbo up so good.

Excellent car, excellent motor

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
As time goes on Mazda manages to make the rotary engine alot more reliable and better.

The rotary engine kinda drives like a bike motor... power is delivered higher up and it LOVES to be revved.

The rotary also responds so well to turbos because it puts out ALOT of exhaust which makes spinning the turbo up so good.

Excellent car, excellent motor
I agree, and I am sure the current rotaries in the RX8 are alot better. Turbos and free flowing exhaust systems is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I think Luckz88 has/had an RX8 so you might ask him about issues with that particular car. I've had a few RX-7's over the years and love them, they are a blast to drive but like others have stated oil changes and avoiding overheating are paramount to their longevity. The turbo versions are worse in terms of reliability due to the extra heat the turbo keeps in the engine and I know of more than a few that died before hitting 80K, someone I know personally is on his 2rd engine in a 3rd gen with only 120K

·
Ex Postwhore
4,688 Posts
Talk to chad(luckz88) he had and by the way rotarys suck. They are cool motors but not very reliable.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I think Luckz88 has/had an RX8 so you might ask him about issues with that particular car. I've had a few RX-7's over the years and love them, they are a blast to drive but like others have stated oil changes and avoiding overheating are paramount to their longevity. The turbo versions are worse in terms of reliability due to the extra heat the turbo keeps in the engine and I know of more than a few that died before hitting 80K, someone I know personally is on his 2rd engine in a 3rd gen with only 120K

Yeah I had one...I just sold it....it needs more power to be honest with you...A stock one is fun but it def. needs about a 100 more hp...it handles awesome and is fast from 0-120...after that its slow...i topped mine out a t157 the one night...it doesn't have any power unti you are around 5 or 6 g's to the red limiter...its a gas guzzler btw...my roomate has an S2000 and his car is faster...we dragged several times and the Rx8 wont' touch it...stock brakes and suspension are good...the bose stereo sounds awesome in it..i had the grand touring edition btw...i sold it with 24,000 miles and the clutch was going on it from driving in the mountains...its a great drifting car though but the stock tires are fuggin expensive to replace...i bought the netto b555's and they are great tires

·
Just trolling
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
see the thing is im looking for a car that looks good/ w/ decent gas mileage or a truck i havent decided i love the way the rx8 looks all the way to how the doors open its a very good looking car, im not looking for a go fast car i want a cruiser for in town that looks sharp and i can drive around w/o the 5-10 mpg bs i was also looking at a scion TC. if anyone has had anything that fits my description let me know. im always up for some suggestions thanks luckz for the info rep sent:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
if you want good gas than dont get the rx-8...i was averaging 21 mpg on the highway and when we went to the mountains maybe 14...i know i drove it hard but when i was going t back and forth to work everyday on the interestate at 75-80 mph i was getting around 21....um, the g35 or the new 335 tt bmw might be good for you

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
What's your budget? It sounds like around $20K. The RX8 isn't all that bad and as far as Rotary very efficient motor. Its a b*tch to work on agreed. But another really nice car around $20K is the Subaru WRX. If you're not on it it gets arond 24MPG and sounds killer. Another vehicle is the Acura RSX Type S. Good K series motor that puts down good HP and 25 MPG.

·
Registered
128 Posts
well u want good gas miles than i suggest u get a mini cooper s .. i can sell you mine ita 06 this car looks great handles awesome and is affordable let me know and did i mention it will spank the rx8 ....

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I had the RX7 (Better than the RX8 IMO)
Rotary needs TLC. Change oil frequent. Say every 3,000kms. And use Dino Juice. Non-synthetic oil. And keep the cooling system in a healthy state. Insure all oil hoses are good. They tend to go hard from the heat and burst and dump oil at an alarming rate. I know had this on the freeway. Rotor blades knackered rebuild engine. Still would buy another. Respond pretty good to mods.
:+1: i had a 94 Gen 3 RX7. i loved that car, i miss it more than anything. Infact me and my buddy might start building another. It had balls ass power mine made 330hp, but would leave anything due to weight/power.

I agree w/ BKK, if you baby it and treat her right, she will be everything you ever dreamed of.

the RX8 on the other hand lacks turbos and I would def recommend it for some serious power that block can produce.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts