Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to condense everything down as much as I can. bike is a 2009 zx10r with 14k miles ish. has PC III(no idea on the tune), K&N filter, and a slip on m4 gp muffler.

prelude to the issue i'm having
I was getting my bike ready for the track day, pulled fuses, removed mirrors, etc... started it up and rode it around and put it on a borrowed trailer on saturday afternoon 9-21 for the track day on Monday 9-23. Weater on Sunday 9-22 was wet, not steady rain, just a very damp mist. The bike remained dry and had a tarp covering it. My track day on Monday was canceled so on tuesday mid morning i went to pull the tarp off and take it off the trailer. Start the bike up to ride it around and put it away and the bike has a really heavy miss like i'm missing out of 2 cylinders. It was really bad.

What I did and tested
On thursday I get some plugs and swap them out, Old plugs were a little fouled but definitely not enough to cause a missfire. Performed resistance tests on primary and secondary coils in the COP's and they all tested good.
After all that I had no luck. I put the tank back on and tried to fire it up but had the same misfire going on. I really have to add a little throttle to get it to fire up and run for more than a second too. Once i let off the throttle it just stalls out.

I remove the PCIII wiring harness and plug my factory harness back in and give it a try with no success.

I do some reading on this forum and other forums and see one person say they've got pin issues at the ECU so today I pulled the connectors at the COP's and at the ECU and ran a continuity test between the wires. I've got good continuity all the way there. Even the terminals in the plugs look really good and clean and seated properly. After doing all of that i kinda play with the connectors on both the ECU and the relay box and the bike pretty much wont even spark up at all. And just as soon as it fires up, it dies. I started to notice a weird almost arching sound coming from the relay box. When I started to hear that noise I decided to kinda play with the plug that has the red wire going to the COP's and the bike would fire up and run like on all 4 cylinders and die out pretty quickly. but with the bike running I dont hear that arching noise from the relay box, only when the bike begins to die/misfire/stall out do i start to hear that noise.

I'm really looking for peoples opinions on that relay box and if i should try and find a replacement/anyone in my area that might have one I can swap just to see if thats what it is. I live in The Plains VA and work in Fairfax VA. Pretty much work every single day of the week or at least I have been doing that for the last few weeks.

Thanks in advance for any input! And sorry this is soo long I'm trying to be as descriptive as possible and give as much information as I can.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Did you adjust the idle adjustment knob? Maybe someone is messing with you and turned it way down so the idle is to low. Other than that all I can say is that on my old bike after washing it, it would miss when I got on the throttle. It had to do with some wiring getting wet, because after I got it warmed up the bike would dry out whatever it was and it would run fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no its definitely not the idle control or it would still be able to run when is start it on part throttle, and as rough as it rides it definitely has a miss. It sounds like a twin.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Bad gas? You can get an idea if the pump is performing properly by unhooking one end of the fuel line and turning the bike to on. Then measure the amount that primed out of the pump by collecting it in a cup or w/e. You might want to drain the gas to check if it has a bunch of water in it.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
You got water in your fuel from sitting outside? Have you checked and cleaned the fuel and injectors to remove potential water deposits?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have pulled fuel injectors and they all look super clean. theres not even any moisture on the throttle bodies or anything from cranking the motor over. I'm almost 100% positive that no water got in the tank from it being outside. I am super anal about how I cover the bike when its being stored or parked. Bike never goes without a cover on it when its outside. I would check the pump but i've definitely got fuel and pressure built up in the lines from the way it sprays out on me everytime i disconnect after trying something different and testing.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
I have pulled fuel injectors and they all look super clean. theres not even any moisture on the throttle bodies or anything from cranking the motor over. I'm almost 100% positive that no water got in the tank from it being outside. I am super anal about how I cover the bike when its being stored or parked. Bike never goes without a cover on it when its outside. I would check the pump but i've definitely got fuel and pressure built up in the lines from the way it sprays out on me everytime i disconnect after trying something different and testing.
Water can get in the tank by condensing on the inside of it no matter how you cover the bike. Moist air gets pulled in and when it's cold and damp outside, the water condenses on the inside and runs down to the lowest part of the tank. Get enough water in the tank to get sucked into the pump and the water will clog the injectors. You won't be able to see it, but it's there. First thing I'd do is empty the tank out and put some fresh gas in it and then try running some HEET in there to break up any water in the lines and see if the running improves.

If you've replaced plugs and checked continuity on the electrical components, it's a pretty safe bet their OK. Time to start looking at the other issue.....fuel. Eliminate it as a possibility for sure, don't guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks skydork I'll do that tomorrow morning and keep you posted on that. where can I get HEET or at least what is it?

and you have a good point with the condensation. The bike really hasn't been ridden enough this year and i'm pretty sure the tank is pretty low on fuel anyway at this point.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
thanks skydork I'll do that tomorrow morning and keep you posted on that. where can I get HEET or at least what is it?

and you have a good point with the condensation. The bike really hasn't been ridden enough this year and i'm pretty sure the tank is pretty low on fuel anyway at this point.
HEET is usually available at most auto parts stores. It's a fuel additive to break up water and allow it to pass through the injectors and get burned in the motor. It's typically used in the winter to prevent ice crystals from forming in cold weather. Hence the name.

In the future, try not to leave the tank empty. It should always be stored full of fuel to push out as much air as possible. The more air and water vapor and metal exposed, the more prone the tank is to water intrusion and rust.

It may not be the the issue, but it's easy and cheap to try to help get you closer to running.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE

SKYDORK, You are the MAN!!! lol. I would have never thought of condensation build up in the gas tank... So when I finally got up and into my day far enough to touch my bike, I ended up draining a little more than a galon of fuel from my tank and it almost looked milky as it was pumping out. Added a few ounces of Iso HEET and kicked it over with no luck. But then I decided to do it again and it fired but was misfireing and stalled again. So i figured I would start it up and give it a little bit of throttle to keep it running and see if it would burn through any of that bad gas that was still in the lines and sure enough a few seconds later all 4 cylinders came on strong.

·
Registered
131 Posts
UPDATE

SKYDORK, You are the MAN!!! lol. I would have never thought of condensation build up in the gas tank... So when I finally got up and into my day far enough to touch my bike, I ended up draining a little more than a galon of fuel from my tank and it almost looked milky as it was pumping out. Added a few ounces of Iso HEET and kicked it over with no luck. But then I decided to do it again and it fired but was misfireing and stalled again. So i figured I would start it up and give it a little bit of throttle to keep it running and see if it would burn through any of that bad gas that was still in the lines and sure enough a few seconds later all 4 cylinders came on strong.
That's good news! My dad showed me this fuel stabilizer that works really good, I'll be doing that after reading this!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
UPDATE

Glad to hear its running good for ya now! You did it right to keeping it running for a bit to get the HEET worked down through everything. :ayyy:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to hear its running good for ya now! You did it right to keeping it running for a bit to get the HEET worked down through everything. :ayyy:

Yeah its funny though, as long as i've been working on cars that has never been an issue of getting water in the gas tank like that. whenever we had water in the tank of a car it was ALWAYS a rental car that someone had just returned and filled the entire tank up with water. lmao! But like I said that has never been an issue unless someone intentionally done it. Oh well I'm just stoked and now its time to sign up for my first and only track day of 2013 and first track day ever. Gonna do it through NESBA on the 21st if my supervisors let me get the day off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts