Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
After experiencing bad misfire and very rough idle a few weeks back, I replaced the spark plugs with new ones and coil plugs with used ones. The bike now idles fine but during city commuting, when she is anywhere from 1500 to 5000 RPM she is quite rough. No matter the gear, if I'm giving anywhere from 5 to 15% throttle, she feels like I'm riding through a sightly bumpy road however if I give her more throttle she gets a lot smoother. It's not undriveable like before but she definitely doesn't not feel like something I would define "smooth". I'm ruling out fuel delivery problem since my fuel pump is clean and she accelerates no problem and gets to 102 in 1st.

I've only had this bike for like 800 miles and I'm unexperienced so I have no clue how "she is supposed to feel" like if this is normal or not.
I've done some research and I've found these as possible causes:
-TPS issues
-Throttle bodies sync is needed
-Valve clearance adjustment is needed (bike has 20k miles so it was due a while ago but I don't think the previous owner took proper care of her and got it done)
-Kickstand sensor
-Dirty injectors (but why would she get smooth under acceleration?)
-A tune is needed (my bike has the secondaries still installed. She has a full exhaust and a filter.)

I can record a video of me riding but I dont think she sounds odd, she just feels and runs jerky like she does not like me using low throttle and gets smoother when I give more.
Any insight would be appreciated to better understand where to set my priorities when addressing the problem.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
reads to me like its running lean, whatever the cause is but did you check the gap on the plugs before fitting them? Yes i know there new

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
reads to me like its running lean, whatever the cause is but did you check the gap on the plugs before fitting them? Yes i know there new
No i did not because I thought that by trying to bend the metal part by hand I would not reach a precise measurement even if I tried. If the gap was out of spec wouldn't she run poorly throughout the rev range?

As far as running lean goes I'll mention she does run hot. Today she was peaking at 232° in slow traffic in 70° sunny afternoon.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
No incorrect gap has an effect to large and it can't arc correctly at higher revs and to small a gap causes arc early at lower revs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, I'll look into that. This might be what I'm looking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts