Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what temps you guys are running at on a say 80F day and say just (for a chnage) cruisin at 60 in second.

Mines running at around 180F and is drinking coolant and about 1/2 inch every 300 miles, anybody else found this.

·
Registered
370 Posts
blast_off said:
Mines running at around 180F and is drinking coolant and about 1/2 inch every 300 miles, anybody else found this.
Cruising I tend to run around 180 or so IIRC. Of course, that's with Austin temps...

Remove your catalytic converter and you'll see a decrease in temps.

·
Registered
354 Posts
blast_off said:
just wondering what temps you guys are running at on a say 80F day and say just (for a chnage) cruisin at 60 in second.

You better get it checked, It shouldn't be "drinking coolant".

As for temp, I have not seen a day under 90F since I bought this bike and it allways runs between 175 and 185.

·
Registered
176 Posts
blast_off said:

I've been noticing lately that my bike has been drinking coolant also. Anyone else have that problem?

J

·
Registered
370 Posts
prebancolt said:
I've been noticing lately that my bike has been drinking coolant also. Anyone else have that problem?
Mine blew a little coolant in the first couple hundred miles because the dealer overfilled it at setup. Since then it's stabilized slightly below the full line.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
I have also been monitoring coolant consumption because it seems to be using some. It might only be using it if the level is not kept right at the "full" mark. There's no evidence of external leakage.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Mine usually hangs right around the 180-190 marks and I live in North Texas where it's usaully pretty damn hot. As far as coolant level is concerned I've noticed mine fluctuating a little.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok guys thanks for the replies

I took mine in anyway, well might as well with the wheel thing an all.

page 102 in the manual sound odd to me like they were expecting coolant issues.

I dunno tho :?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mine used up a whole thing of coolant when it was new. I guess they don't really "burp" the hoses from the dealer. It runs at about 180+ on a decent day and will easily get into the 210 range in traffic. No worries.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK took it back as i said, I thought it was running, i'm lazy and its under warrenty.

OK they say, some of your hoses were loose, OK I say....ride it home.

Runs 20 degrees cooler........some improvement methinks.

Still not going to hammer the bike until i gets my new wheels on

·
Registered
265 Posts
Kawasaki has an upper and lower mark on the coolant tank. As long as it is above the lower mark it will work fine. Having it higher on the upper mark does not increase or lower the running temperature. All it means you are riding with a bit of unuseable coolant in the tank.

It you check the coolant first thing in the morning it will be low, check after a ride when the engine is hot the coolant will be higher in the tank compared to a cold engine.

Because the coolant has a blow out and suck back in feature any air in the radiator is normally expelled and coolant gets sucked back in. In this case the bike appears to have been using coolant, but in fact it is perfectly normal.

When a dealer does the pre-delivery check if they do not check the coolant in the radiator, it may have a small amount of air in the radiator and this would get expelled when the engine is hot and will suck back coolant when the engine cools down. This is burping the system.

Normal radiators have a pressurised system, 11 lbs or 1.1 bar, 1.3 bar, 1.6 bar 1.8 bar depending on the model. This raises the boiling point of the coolant. Luckly at high altitude the engine puts out less power because the coolant will boil at a lower temperature. If you leave the cap on from when you are at sea level then the pressure in the radiators stays the same even at alitude, however if you vent the cap at altitude then the pressure in the tank wil be less along with the boiling point of the coolant.

The chances of having loose hoses and having these tighten and the bike runs 20 cooler I would think it had to do with some over part of the cooling system. Like filling the radiator.

Leaking coolant smells bad on hot engine and leaves a tell tale stain from the area of the leak. It is not black magic and one of the most simple sytems on a modern motorcycle. Keep the coolant above the lower mark and as long as there are no leaks then the system will work as intended.

·
Registered
306 Posts
wheelup702 said:
Mine used up a whole thing of coolant when it was new. I guess they don't really "burp" the hoses from the dealer. It runs at about 180+ on a decent day and will easily get into the 210 range in traffic. No worries.
Same here. Air temp here gets to 100+ deg. [smilie=b:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Damn Poky got me thinking. Mine has been drinking coolant well not bad at all. Since I changed the exhaust it has been running warmer that is for sure. And putting the gasket on this weekend. I heard it will run hotter. INstalling a fan switch so I can automatically cut it on and lower the cooling temps. [smilie=b:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts