Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I modified the stock exhaust and removed the secondary butterflies. I removed the stock muffler and midpipe, and I'm just using an exhaust tip made from the midpipe, so the exhaust exit is right behind my heel and ending right before the swingarm. After doing the exhaust and butterfly removal mod my bike seems to still run rich. I expected it to be lean, as it was said removing the secondary butterflies would cause that. Any ideas as to why it would run rich after all this?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I modified the stock exhaust and removed the secondary butterflies. I removed the stock muffler and midpipe, and I'm just using an exhaust tip made from the midpipe, so the exhaust exit is right behind my heel and ending right before the swingarm. After doing the exhaust and butterfly removal mod my bike seems to still run rich. I expected it to be lean, as it was said removing the secondary butterflies would cause that. Any ideas as to why it would run rich after all this?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, thats the thing... I haven't ridden it in this condition yet or had it on a dyno or anything. I don't have a power commander yet, getting one this week, so i didn't want to ride it if I am wrong and it is actually running lean. What led me to believe it was rich though is that when running, the exhaust reaks of gas. Also, if you rev the engine a bit it will blow flames. I don't mean to sound like an idiot, and I'm sure many would say my exhaust mod was a moronic decision, but I like the look and sound. I don't wanna take a chance on running the bike in a foul condition and damaging the engine though.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Well, thats the thing... I haven't ridden it in this condition yet or had it on a dyno or anything. I don't have a power commander yet, getting one this week, so i didn't want to ride it if I am wrong and it is actually running lean. What led me to believe it was rich though is that when running, the exhaust reaks of gas. Also, if you rev the engine a bit it will blow flames. I don't mean to sound like an idiot, and I'm sure many would say my exhaust mod was a moronic decision, but I like the look and sound. I don't wanna take a chance on running the bike in a foul condition and damaging the engine though.
im not expect but ya i would wait til you get the pc3 and get it sorted before you ride it, imho you may like the ehaust now, but after a while i bet your gonna get annoyed by it, as do most boz brothers exhaust owners, which is pretty much what you have now. if it doesnt then more power to you and watch out for cops :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, thanks man. I painted the pipe black and I think it looks pretty cool. We'll see if it gets on my nerves after a while though. I just can't imagine it smelling so bad and blowing flames if it was too lean? It's got me confused, but we'll see what the chart says after i get it mapped I guess.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Ya, thanks man. I painted the pipe black and I think it looks pretty cool. We'll see if it gets on my nerves after a while though. I just can't imagine it smelling so bad and blowing flames if it was too lean? It's got me confused, but we'll see what the chart says after i get it mapped I guess.
post up some pics :heyyou:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will after I put the lower fairing back on. The paint is drying.:thumbsup:

·
Chairman of the Board
16,065 Posts
Could be your smog device allowing fresh air into your exhaust. Try this mod,
. It worked great after I installed my Area P exhaust I had the same problem, did this mod and it stopped it.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
You arent getting any reversion in the pipe anymore and with the cam overlap angles you have on a ZX10R you will lose power by losing fuel to exhaust.

Re Map to allow for the missing back pressure.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You arent getting any reversion in the pipe anymore and with the cam overlap angles you have on a ZX10R you will lose power by losing fuel to exhaust.

Re Map to allow for the missing back pressure.
so it is running rich?

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Not necessarily , you are getting more unburned fuel in the exhaust system , if it hasnt been burned then you are using less fuel for combustion , if you are using less fuel then you are getting less power at that point.

Open exhaust sytems generally give more peak power and reduce mid range.

Having said that , most modern engines have weak mixture mapping in the mid range to get through emmision laws.

A good remap should give much improved results.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
bike looks good bro :thumbsup: hope you get it sorted soon :eek:ccasion1 im in canton, maybe we could hook up for a ride sometime

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not necessarily , you are getting more unburned fuel in the exhaust system , if it hasnt been burned then you are using less fuel for combustion , if you are using less fuel then you are getting less power at that point.

Open exhaust sytems generally give more peak power and reduce mid range.

Having said that , most modern engines have weak mixture mapping in the mid range to get through emmision laws.

A good remap should give much improved results.
Thanks for your help.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bike looks good bro :thumbsup: hope you get it sorted soon :eek:ccasion1 im in canton, maybe we could hook up for a ride sometime
sounds good man. thanks for the compliment. i'll get in touch with you sometime once i get this fugger running right!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
flooding 10r

I have the same problem with the boz bros exhaust system i put on I changed my oil smelt like fuel. I also have pops and smell fuel. My next step is to remap with a pc3r and try agan. I do know it killed the power on my bike but hopefully reprograming will fix it. so please keep us posted on your results as i will with mine.
thanks stetson

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once I removed the secondaries and rode it a while, the fuel smell went away quite a bit and i got some power back it seems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts