Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I need to add 20% more fuel from 8k to redline, where would that put my A/F ratio? I have a dyno graph with my current A/F ratio and wanted to see if I'm where I need to be to run nitrous.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
1killer1liter said:
If I need to add 20% more fuel from 8k to redline, where would that put my A/F ratio? I have a dyno graph with my current A/F ratio and wanted to see if I'm where I need to be to run nitrous.

the numbers in the pc table don't correspond to a % if thats what you mean about adding fuel..
I'd go with a box that is specificlly designed to work when the NOS is activated...like the mps box..
that way when not using the NOS your running a map that works well..

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
1killer1liter said:

yea i dont know if i'd go with the biggest jet like that though...
what i'd like to see is a chart with those numbers in the pc but using the NOS
THEN see whaere the a/f is..
all that shows is that the bike will still run decent with the added fuel which tells me that it ain;t adding much fuel..
on an unrelated topic I bought my 04 gsxr off of Ryan great guy...
the main thing with NOS is to set it up on a dyno so you know your safe...
good fuel is a plus as well...

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be another question. I have U4. Will that affect the nitrous? Or do I need to just get 110? I have friends that have a dyno so I can look at A/F.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i run a 90hp jet with a mps fast fi fuel mix controll with no problem.the instant rich button only goes on when you hit the nos button.i was going to go with bigger injectors but i dont have to my bike has enough fuel for that shot.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's TOO much nitrous. I want the bike to last a little while.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
1killer1liter said:
That's TOO much nitrous. I want the bike to last a little while.
if you have enough fuel it wont hurt a engine. when you add nos you need to add fuel.if you dont the nos will eat your motor. i could go up if really wanted to but im not. im still running a little rich.YOU DONT WANT TO BE LEAN WHEN USING NOS.WHAT ARE YOU RUNNING AND WHAT DO YOU WANT TO HAPPEN? A 1 KILLER GO TO MPS AND THEY HAVE A QUESTION PAGE I THINK IT MIGHT HELP YOU OR JUST CALL THEM AND THEY WILL TELL YOU WHERE YOU WANT TO BE.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have dealt with nitrous on my big block 68 camaro. I know how nitrous works. I don't want to run the mps fi fuel control box. I'm trying to fatten it up from 8k to redline via pcIII. My friend has the mps fi box and runs super rich on top. You don't think nitrous hurts the motor? Nitrous is the most violent to an engine. Even if you do have enough fuel. A 50hp shot is the most I would throw at a stock engine.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
1killer1liter said:
That would be another question. I have U4. Will that affect the nitrous? Or do I need to just get 110? I have friends that have a dyno so I can look at A/F.

a splash of 110 in a tank can surely help with insurance against detonation but your bike won't like running on it as well when your not spraying...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
1killer1liter said:
I have dealt with nitrous on my big block 68 camaro. I know how nitrous works. I don't want to run the mps fi fuel control box. I'm trying to fatten it up from 8k to redline via pcIII. My friend has the mps fi box and runs super rich on top. You don't think nitrous hurts the motor? Nitrous is the most violent to an engine. Even if you do have enough fuel. A 50hp shot is the most I would throw at a stock engine.

all nos does is introduce more oxygen into the combustion chamber.. as long as there is fuel there to match the oxygen no harm no foul...not enough fuel and nos KABOOM!! NOS is actually a very safe power adder when done properly.

Progressive controller makes the NOS hit not so hard on the engine as well.
Schnitz makes a nice one for like $230

50 horse shot would be all I'd run without pulling some timing out of the motor.. thats for sure..
yes the MPS box does cause the bike to run fat up top but with a 50 shot I find it hard to believe that it's still real rich.. I mean what kind of power levels will the stock injectors on a 10 support..does anyone know injector size and flow??

I bet your buddy with the mps box never melts his motor down though. :wink:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He may not melt his motor, but he will foul plugs and lose the race/$. This is on an 04 g1k. The progressive controller is very hard on solenoids. I don't want to be replacing solenoids every year. And YES nitrous is very hard on the motor. Do a google search on it. I have friends with cars that run ALOT of nitrous. They have done their homework and shared their findings with me. Nitrous is violent on engines.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
1killer1liter said:
He may not melt his motor, but he will foul plugs and lose the race/$. This is on an 04 g1k. The progressive controller is very hard on solenoids. I don't want to be replacing solenoids every year. And YES nitrous is very hard on the motor. Do a google search on it. I have friends with cars that run ALOT of nitrous. They have done their homework and shared their findings with me. Nitrous is violent on engines.

get your NOS on your bike then tell me what will happen...i know of no one fouling plugs with an mps box.. it's only active when the NOS is activated..
NOS isn't any harder on the motor then if you found a way to make the same power without NOS. It's not the NOS its the horsepower thats bad on the motor. well it's true the solinoids are going to wear out quicker if you run a progressive but what would you rather replace a solenoid or a motor, tranns etc from too hard of an initial hit..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ok, dont listen too all of the ricer stories about nitrouse. It can be used as a cheap but effective power adder.
Reasons nitrouse is harmful
1) Running lean, not enough fuel for the amount of oxygen, works almost liek a tourch
2) Preignition, caused by "hotspots" on the rough edges in your combustion chamber by using nitrouse, the temps are much hotter due to the reaction of more oxygen and fuel combusting.
3) Bending rod, spinning a bearing, piston damage- related, but not caused by nitrouse itself. Caused by too much nitrouse and fuel (Combustion pressure) for your motor to handle, causing excessive amounts of strain on internal components
4) having the wrong spark plugs, using a temp rating not suited for aplication. (yess those numbers actualy mean somthing on teh plug)

Oh, and i do not know why you would want to use the PCIII, it does not have two maps; one activated by nitrouse, and the other when nitrouse is not present. Your bike will run horrible, your gas mileage will go down, carbon buildup in your combustion chamber will occure in excess

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
1killer1liter said:
I THINK YOU NEED TO DO YOUR HOME WORK ON NOS. RUN A PC 3 AND A 50 SHOT YOUR BIKE WILL RUN LIKE SHIT. THE MPS ONLY COMES ON WHEN I HIT MY NOS. OTHER THAN THAT ITS STOCK. NOS IS NOT BAD FOR YOUR MOTOR ,MAYBE YOUR FRIENDS DONT KNOW $HIT. I HAVE A MUSTANG ON NOS THAT GOES 10.50'S NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. IM JUST TRING TO TELL YOU FROM WHAT I KNOW AND HAVE DONE. I HAVE ABOUT 25 1LB BOTTLES OF NITROUS THROUGH MY BIKE AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.IF YOU ARE LEAN YOU WILL BLOW YOUR MOTOR. THATS WHY GUYS IN THERE CARS RUN TWO FUEL LINES. ONE FOR THE CAR AND THE OTHER FOR THE NITROUS.I DONT FOWL PLUGS EITHER. ILL TELL YOU THAT I WASNT EXPECTING TO RUN THIS MUCH NOS BUT I WAS RUNNING WAY TOO RICH FOR A 65HP SHOT.THE ENGINE WOULD BOGG DOWN AND THEN HIT. I JUST DIALED IT IN AND ITS A BEAST. YOU COULD RUN A 20-30 SHOT WITH A PC3 WITHOUT NO PROBLEMS. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET IT DYNOED. MY BIKE RUN RICH AS HELL FOR SOME REASON. I DONT KNOW IF ITS THE EXHAUST OR WHAT?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
snoopnoon said:
3) Bending rod, spinning a bearing, piston damage- related, but not caused by nitrouse itself. Caused by too much nitrouse and fuel (Combustion pressure) for your motor to handle, causing excessive amounts of strain on internal components
This is exactly why nitrous is hard on engines. Too much cylinder pressure.

snoopnoon said:
Oh, and i do not know why you would want to use the PCIII, it does not have two maps; one activated by nitrouse, and the other when nitrouse is not present. Your bike will run horrible, your gas mileage will go down, carbon buildup in your combustion chamber will occure in excess
I don't think my bike runs horrible now and it's running a little rich. I'm aware the pcIII doesn't have 2 settings. I'm going to fatten it up from 8k - redline. I cruise around town at no more than 6k (unless I'm feeling a little froggy and want to jump on it), so how is carbon going to build up if I don't reach 8k+? I guess Mr. Schnitz and Muzzy's don't know what they're talking about or how to build a nitrous kit. Who would have knew?

I have a friend that runs mid to low 9's in a car with nitrous. He does know his shit when it comes to nitrous.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
1killer1liter said:
This is exactly why nitrous is hard on engines. Too much cylinder pressure.

I don't think my bike runs horrible now and it's running a little rich. I'm aware the pcIII doesn't have 2 settings. I'm going to fatten it up from 8k - redline. I cruise around town at no more than 6k (unless I'm feeling a little froggy and want to jump on it), so how is carbon going to build up if I don't reach 8k+? I guess Mr. Schnitz and Muzzy's don't know what they're talking about or how to build a nitrous kit. Who would have knew?

I have a friend that runs mid to low 9's in a car with nitrous. He does know his shit when it comes to nitrous.
i got one for you. why dont you run both a pc3 and a mps fi fuel.just run the instant rich on the mps and program the pc3 for the street. thats what im going be running.schnitz and mps is where i asked all of my question.im just tring to help out. :eek:ccasion1 a 90 shot is alot i just use it when im racing for money.i run a 20 hp jet just riding around town.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
eric said:
i got one for you. why dont you run both a pc3 and a mps fi fuel.just run the instant rich on the mps and program the pc3 for the street. thats what im going be running.schnitz and mps is where i asked all of my question.im just tring to help out. :eek:ccasion1 a 90 shot is alot i just use it when im racing for money.i run a 20 hp jet just riding around town.
I'm trying to get by with just a pcIII. I'm going to run it with just the pcIII first and see how the bike likes it. If all else fails I will get a mps fi control box. I'm just curious what A/F ratio it would be if it was 20% rich? 12:1, 12.5:1?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
1killer1liter said:
I'm trying to get by with just a pcIII. I'm going to run it with just the pcIII first and see how the bike likes it. If all else fails I will get a mps fi control box. I'm just curious what A/F ratio it would be if it was 20% rich? 12:1, 12.5:1?

you can't just assume from bike to bike that the a/f ratio will be the same..
YOU need to get YOUR bike on the dyno and try it to see..no one actually knows what your a/f ratio will be without a dyno...
that why a map that works great for one person won't be great for another.
Otherwise one person could get a custom map and give it to everyone and no one else would have to get there own..follow me??

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm picking up what you're laying down. I do have a dyno sheet that has my current A/F. From 6k-redline it's at about 12-12.5:1. How rich from 13:1 is 20%?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts