Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this an easy thing to accomplish? From what I've been told it's as simple as swapping the ecu, cdi box, harness and TBs and that it but I'm really looking to find a thread. I'm asking about this because I'm trying to turbo and o ly use 4 I injectors I stead of 8

·
Registered
89 Posts
No. Not easy. From what I know about the gen 3 vs gen 2 this would be a huge job. Requiring you to change the harness yes but I'm wondering if things like your crank pos sensor will interface properly even if you get everything wired up. It would basically require a modification/recalibration of nearly every single electrical component on the bike.

Would be easier to start with a gen 2.

·
Registered
997 Posts
if you used a program like woolich, this lets you control the bias of injector balance....thus eliminate the top row.

This then gives you multilayering tuning also

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. Not easy. From what I know about the gen 3 vs gen 2 this would be a huge job. Requiring you to change the harness yes but I'm wondering if things like your crank pos sensor will interface properly even if you get everything wired up. It would basically require a modification/recalibration of nearly every single electrical component on the bike.

Would be easier to start with a gen 2.
You make it sound like changing 3 sensors over to the old ones from a gen 2 is hard lol. You also sound like a squid when it comes to modifications....working on a bike is super easy. You also used the term "but I'm wondering", meaning you dont know what you're talking about and kinds jist guessing with knowledge. That's not the type of I put I want. I want to hear from ppl who know what they're talking about from experience or knowledge. Thanks tho

·
Registered
89 Posts
You make it sound like changing 3 sensors over to the old ones from a gen 2 is hard lol. You also sound like a squid when it comes to modifications....working on a bike is super easy. You also used the term "but I'm wondering", meaning you dont know what you're talking about and kinds jist guessing with knowledge. That's not the type of I put I want. I want to hear from ppl who know what they're talking about from experience or knowledge. Thanks tho
Three sensors? Yeah, that's every electrical component. If it's so super easy why isn't it done already?

Squid? Like the guy asking the internet about how to do a downgrade ECU swap?

I've been riding since 1983, racing since 1989, and working the service department and parts counter at a dealership since 2008. But hey if that's not good enough for you then take that sanctimonious attitude and shove it up your tailpipe.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
BA Jake has the better solution there.... if you can use the Woolich software package to disable the upper injectors (or bias them all the way down to zero...), then you can use what you have. The thing is: you'll still need to tune the thing for boost.... how do you plan to do that? By the time you're done paying for third party software and piggy back hardware to get MAP reference fueling adjustments you will be in nearly as much money as a good stand alone.... never mind boost control hardware/software and proper datalogging.... and most stand alone systems come fully featured; no gotchya money upgrades for quick shifters, pit speed limiters, datalogging, etc.

The gen 3 is damn near the same bike to the gen 2. The crank, cam, stator, Reg/Rectifier, temp sensors are all the same. The relay box covers the same functions as well. IF (big if) you wanted to do an electronics swap from gen-to-gen the EASY way, you would need the Relay box, ECU, wiring harness, and throttle body(s) assembly, and there would likely be a bit of changing pigtail ends on random things at worst (such as the lights and fans and such). Someone who knows what they are doing could simply re-pin your existing harness to work with gen 2 ECU and throttle bodies, but I would consider that to be an advanced job for the average person, and requires a lot of thought. Sights like this one: https://www.corsa-technic.com/ sell most of the connector ends and pins for doing jobs like that. And after all that, you'd have to come up with the software and/or additional hardware to tune the new ECU set-up.

It's all easy to me at this point. AND it's still a huge job. Not a boast, just trying to give you the facts... it's easy to confuse complexity with difficulty. If you do half-ass/corner cutting/hokey adapting on a turbo conversion you are going to melt all sorts of stuff, over and over again, until you give up or end up doing it right.... ask me how I know. If that's the road you want to go down to learn, by all means do it; you'll never get any better knowledge than the hard earned type! :)

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Switching to gen2 would be simple engine wise the only difference would be iat sensor and stator plug and your 3rd gen cluster will show fi light, you can get woolich, but it doesn't support boost so it would be useless on a turbo application. Like spaz said, the best bet would be to switch to a stand alone ecu, and you can keep your own harness/relay and have an ecu that can handle boost.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Three sensors? Yeah, that's every electrical component. If it's so super easy why isn't it done already?

Squid? Like the guy asking the internet about how to do a downgrade ECU swap?

I've been riding since 1983, racing since 1989, and working the service department and parts counter at a dealership since 2008. But hey if that's not good enough for you then take that sanctimonious attitude and shove it up your tailpipe.
Youd be swapping sensors, not whole electrical components and there are only a handful. And a Gen 2 ecu isnt a downgrade, it just uses less I injectors so it's easier to work it. You sound like an angry squid who's proving everything I said lol. Bye bye

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BA Jake has the better solution there.... if you can use the Woolich software package to disable the upper injectors (or bias them all the way down to zero...), then you can use what you have. The thing is: you'll still need to tune the thing for boost.... how do you plan to do that? By the time you're done paying for third party software and piggy back hardware to get MAP reference fueling adjustments you will be in nearly as much money as a good stand alone.... never mind boost control hardware/software and proper datalogging.... and most stand alone systems come fully featured; no gotchya money upgrades for quick shifters, pit speed limiters, datalogging, etc.

The gen 3 is damn near the same bike to the gen 2. The crank, cam, stator, Reg/Rectifier, temp sensors are all the same. The relay box covers the same functions as well. IF (big if) you wanted to do an electronics swap from gen-to-gen the EASY way, you would need the Relay box, ECU, wiring harness, and throttle body(s) assembly, and there would likely be a bit of changing pigtail ends on random things at worst (such as the lights and fans and such). Someone who knows what they are doing could simply re-pin your existing harness to work with gen 2 ECU and throttle bodies, but I would consider that to be an advanced job for the average person, and requires a lot of thought. Sights like this one: https://www.corsa-technic.com/ sell most of the connector ends and pins for doing jobs like that. And after all that, you'd have to come up with the software and/or additional hardware to tune the new ECU set-up.

It's all easy to me at this point. AND it's still a huge job. Not a boast, just trying to give you the facts... it's easy to confuse complexity with difficulty. If you do half-ass/corner cutting/hokey adapting on a turbo conversion you are going to melt all sorts of stuff, over and over again, until you give up or end up doing it right.... ask me how I know. If that's the road you want to go down to learn, by all means do it; you'll never get any better knowledge than the hard earned type! :)
Nah I'm pretty knowledgable when it comes to doing complex things so everything you said does t sound difficult at all, just time consuming lol.i would obviously rather keep the stock stuff but I really do r qanna have to deal with the extra cost if getting a manifold made for 8 Injectors. I'll most likely do stand alone and if so then I'll do the 4 injectors, probably some 725ccs and call it a day

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Switching to gen2 would be simple engine wise the only difference would be iat sensor and stator plug and your 3rd gen cluster will show fi light, you can get woolich, but it doesn't support boost so it would be useless on a turbo application. Like spaz said, the best bet would be to switch to a stand alone ecu, and you can keep your own harness/relay and have an ecu that can handle boost.
Yea I'm seeing that as the best route. Now to figure out a standalone

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
To me it sounds like your better off spending the time getting G3 upper rail issues resolved and ultimately benefit from the better fuel delivery system, even in a custom turbo application i cannot see a negative. Only the slightly daunting issues of fitting it but in this case the time and money trying to adopt to an older system doesnt out way the better newer G3.

·
Registered
339 Posts
why 725 injectors? stock bottom rail injectors will make close to 300 hp with supporting/necessary fuel delivery mods for a turbo as in high flow fuel pump/ adjustable rising rate fuel pressure regulater. done this, bike not maxing out inj's until 293 hp. larger inj's just create tuning/response issues. bike also tuned on simple pc5. running sweet now for 3 years with no problems. as spaz said, flash down/disable upper inj's, open bottom inj/s. keep it simple, works on a low to moderate boost turbo.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,116 Posts
I just want to know what's up with calling someone a squid based on nothing more than them wanting to help you out, maybe they didn't have the best option but it was a possibility to go with and like was said would be almost as expensive as a stand alone. Still I wonder if you even know what a squid is? Last I checked it was that know it all rider who is sure that riding in shorts and a tank top without gloves, positive that all those others who have crashed on thier bikes just didn't have the skills to handle thier bikes etc. You could have just not been a dick and ignored his post since his intent was to offer an alternative, this is a forum open for discussion so if you didn't like the solution you could have discussed it or just not responded. And here you the knowledgeable guy you are goes and asks what Woolich is. You ever heard of projecting? There is just little need or place to put people down who are trying to actually help. even if it doesn't help. Be nice, you will get a whole lot further and will get a lot more help. In reality, your solution was no better than his but your attitude and response was definitely worse. That's not cool and it doesn't foster a good community spirit which this forum needs to exist. Anyhow, best of luck with the turbo gen 3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just want to know what's up with calling someone a squid based on nothing more than them wanting to help you out, maybe they didn't have the best option but it was a possibility to go with and like was said would be almost as expensive as a stand alone. Still I wonder if you even know what a squid is? Last I checked it was that know it all rider who is sure that riding in shorts and a tank top without gloves, positive that all those others who have crashed on thier bikes just didn't have the skills to handle thier bikes etc. You could have just not been a dick and ignored his post since his intent was to offer an alternative, this is a forum open for discussion so if you didn't like the solution you could have discussed it or just not responded. And here you the knowledgeable guy you are goes and asks what Woolich is. You ever heard of projecting? There is just little need or place to put people down who are trying to actually help. even if it doesn't help. Be nice, you will get a whole lot further and will get a lot more help. In reality, your solution was no better than his but your attitude and response was definitely worse. That's not cool and it doesn't foster a good community spirit which this forum needs to exist. Anyhow, best of luck with the turbo gen 3
He offered information that he didnt know, he was guessing. I dont qant guesses, I want information. Sorry if I didnt tell him nice enough but I thought I got right to the point. I shouldn't have to ignore anything on my post if I dont want to and I wont. If I dont like his answer and I wanna say it, that's what I'm gonna do. And I will do it respectfully and truthfully as possible. Im sorry if his of your feelings were hurt. Also, being knowledgeable doesnt mean I know everything. Also doesnt mean I'm above saying "I dont k oe what that is".... you get knowledge by asking and listening.. this is a pointless conversation. Of you dont like what I say simply stay off my post or please report me because you could have ignored it too... instead you didnt, you came and offered ZERO info and instead just brought up something that was done and proceeded to try and make me feel bad I about it. Nice try but I dont and I'll do it again, like I'm doing now. Now if you dont have I fo about turbo'ing a gen 3, then please, just stay quiet and "ignore" me :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are many options, from cheap to expensive, I built a megasquirt 2 ecu to plug into my stock wiring harness, best mod ever impo.
I was actually looking I to the microsquirt with the appropriate harness. The megasquirt is big to me, I feel I would have trouble finding a location. Where did you put yours?

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,116 Posts
He offered information that he didnt know, he was guessing. I dont qant guesses, I want information. Sorry if I didnt tell him nice enough but I thought I got right to the point. I shouldn't have to ignore anything on my post if I dont want to and I wont. If I dont like his answer and I wanna say it, that's what I'm gonna do. And I will do it respectfully and truthfully as possible. Im sorry if his of your feelings were hurt. Also, being knowledgeable doesnt mean I know everything. Also doesnt mean I'm above saying "I dont k oe what that is".... you get knowledge by asking and listening.. this is a pointless conversation. Of you dont like what I say simply stay off my post or please report me because you could have ignored it too... instead you didnt, you came and offered ZERO info and instead just brought up something that was done and proceeded to try and make me feel bad I about it. Nice try but I dont and I'll do it again, like I'm doing now. Now if you dont have I fo about turbo'ing a gen 3, then please, just stay quiet and "ignore" me :)
he did know that woolich would let you disable the 4 injectors. he was speculating only on how effective it would be in your situation, that info was stated as such but he was also correct in what he was sure about. still doesn't make him a squid nor your comment correct.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts