Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Borrowing a friend of mine's 10R for the track again this Friday.
Bike is and 04 stock length, lowered, Muzzy pipe, and that’s it.

Have 3 questions.
- <Stock gearing>, or <-2 frt / stock rear>. Both combos work on the bike just fine. I'm not going to spend any money on a chain or rear sprocket.

-Is there a good starting point for setting the rear shock, and then adjusting it? Haven't messed with it yet. I'm 180lbs in boxers. Anyone done anything?

-I've read... on another website, that 2inch ground clearance can be too low. The height ratio of the front sprocket to rear is wrong when it’s this low? Anyone ever heard anything? :dontknow:

I've been 9.80's on this bike, but didn't really get to push it out of the hole. I want to try and get in the 50's or 60's at least.
But... the track I race at is very slow.
Gaugeline, RR, I know you guys know this stuff very well. Can ya please Help me? :eek:ccasion1 :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I like -2 on stock motor 10R and with your weight it should be good. When I first started with the 10R she was slammed on the dirt around 2" never any troubles. I wouldn't worry with suspension adjustments, I never have. Good Luck and keep us posted!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-2 it is then. Thanks Ken. Let you know how it turns out. Trying to get a ZX6 ready for the races too. :bash:Not having to change the 10 any will help out a bunch.:eek:ccasion1

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
wow i never thought -2 would be good for the strip. thats what im running on the street. now take note this is my first 1000cc and a big shock. i cant put the power to the ground like i could on my r6.

bump:
other than straps and such for the strip gimme some launching tips so i can tame the 15 tooth sprocket for the street?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
wow i never thought -2 would be good for the strip. thats what im running on the street. now take note this is my first 1000cc and a big shock. i cant put the power to the ground like i could on my r6. give me tips on handling the 15 tooth from launch?
Ryan Schnitz the current record holder by old standards in ProStar has been on this site and suggested starting out with 16T...with practice move up to the 15T for the 10R. So, to answer your question more seat time. I am at 16/40 and still have not mastered it but a 15t is what I would do for better times when I get there.:wink:

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
ok that makes sense. so just hold onto the 15 for that day i learn the way of the 16 tooth? gotcha. now your obviously talkin about running the 15 w straps right? i couldnt imagine it possible to launch the 15 wo straps. as of now (my stabilizer is in the mail), i let out around 4k and work the throttle til i feel the front end gettin light then shift around 12k. im still learning how to work the throttle esp wo the dampner (which scares me) and w the 1'5th mod. takes skill for sure.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
ok that makes sense. so just hold onto the 15 for that day i learn the way of the 16 tooth? gotcha. now your obviously talkin about running the 15 w straps right? i couldnt imagine it possible to launch the 15 wo straps.
of course, don't show up to a gun fight without a gun. :wink:

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
damn, i was looking for the best street set-up for now. in case another gay ass gixxer tries to bully me. plus my neighbor is a noob. hes running a new/used 1000rr i know hes gonna wanna test me here soon. i need to be ready. what should i do for the street just stick w the 16th? how about the -1/+1 520?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boss to be honest with you, -1 -2 +2 +3 bla bla... I've learned that gearing's really more of a tuning aspect in that, most gear combos will get you pretty close. If you really want to give your buddy's a good "wuppin", you PROBABLY just need one thing. :ayyy: SEAT TIME!!! :ayyy:
If money aint to tight, buy as many gear combo's as you can and keep them in your tool box... experiment with them as you practice.

But finally, your profile says your in JerZey. If your really serious about drag racing, go kick it at Attco Drag Strip. (I would be there every week if I lived close) ALLLLLOOTT of big name Pro "street-tire" drag racers practice there. IE Rickey Gadson, Mike Slowe, Barry Henson, Etc Etc. That’s where anyone could learn allot about drag racing.:eek:ccasion1 :eek:ccasion1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts