Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired searching but nothing seeme dto fit...

At idle speeds, clutch out, around 7-10 mph my bike is really ruff - kinda like it's gonna stall, which it doesn't. Idle is set at 1100, oil change less than 800miles ago.

Where should I start? Dirty injectors? Sync issue?

:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Try running a bottle of Techron by Chevron in the tank, I know it helped me with my idle and low speed trolling.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Oh, and I did change my plugs, that was a world of difference also. Have you looked at your air filter lately?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Your bike is tuned to rev in excess of 12k rpms. Of cousre it's gonna run roughly like it's gonna stall at speeds as low as 7 mph with the clutch out. (clutch engaged). Next time you pull off at normal speeds, check out your speed/rpms by the time you've fully let the clutch out as your going along, You'll probaly be doing over 30mph. I wouldn't worry, you don't have a problem.
It's the same principal with the race teams warming up the bikes before a race. They sit in the paddock constantly blipping the throttle cos if they let it close the bike would stall. They are tuned to rev to around 18k rpms so can't be tuned to idle as well. It's a big leap from how our zx10's are tuned but the same principal applies. Hope i've explained that well enough.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya makes sense. Never noticed this -probably- cause I've never gone this slow. I was following my daughter to school for a few days; until she got comfortable riding to school.

Got kinda concerned that my ho might need some tending too.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Think you'll find that the very tall first gear ratio is to blame for the roughness at low speeds..
Also having an extremely loose chain can make it even worse.. As Kawakid said, they are designed to be riden in the higher rpm..
If you dont use the higher rpm as most wouldnt, maybe gear it down a little and some of that jerkiness will dissapear and it will be more ridable in the lower end:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Sounds like your '08 still has that stock 0-100mph 1st gear? That's a little tall. With lower gears (-1 +2) mine runs a heck of a lot better at slow speeds - you can actually engage the clutch and put around.

I prefer my idle around 1,300. 1,100 is a little rough - didn't used to be that way and I just changed my plugs recently.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Could be shitty fuel.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Your bike is tuned to rev in excess of 12k rpms. Of cousre it's gonna run roughly like it's gonna stall at speeds as low as 7 mph with the clutch out. (clutch engaged). Next time you pull off at normal speeds, check out your speed/rpms by the time you've fully let the clutch out as your going along, You'll probaly be doing over 30mph. I wouldn't worry, you don't have a problem.
It's the same principal with the race teams warming up the bikes before a race. They sit in the paddock constantly blipping the throttle cos if they let it close the bike would stall. They are tuned to rev to around 18k rpms so can't be tuned to idle as well. It's a big leap from how our zx10's are tuned but the same principal applies. Hope i've explained that well enough.
I would have to disagree with this. Yes the bike was made for riding in higher RPM's but we don't ride on a race course to and from work everyday to keep it at the higher RPM's where you suggest it should run best.

I have a gen 1 and gen 2 and when I'm rolling with the clutch all the way out (engaged) it DOES NOT feel rough AT ALL! Even at a crawl like 2-11mph. I went out and took both my bikes out to test your theory to confirm but this is not true for my bikes. But then again, I don't have a gen 3, so what do I know?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a gen 1 and gen 2 and when I'm rolling with the clutch all the way out (engaged) it DOES NOT feel rough AT ALL! Even at a crawl like 2-11mph. I went out and took both my bikes out to test your theory to confirm but this is not true for my bikes. But then again, I don't have a gen 3, so what do I know?
That's how mine was when I first got it.

Sounds like your '08 still has that stock 0-100mph 1st gear? That's a little tall. With lower gears (-1 +2) mine runs a heck of a lot better at slow speeds - you can actually engage the clutch and put around.

I prefer my idle around 1,300. 1,100 is a little rough - didn't used to be that way and I just changed my plugs recently.
Yup - stock. I might try upping the rpm's a bit.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
That's how mine was when I first got it.

Yup - stock. I might try upping the rpm's a bit.
Your stock '08 first gear is very high (0-100mph). When mine was stock I had to feather the clutch at low parking lot speeds - you can't let it out all the way or it will jerk around and even stall. You just have to feather it.

With the lower gear sprockets I can fully engage the clutch early and putt around at parking lot speeds without having to feather it. I can putt up to my house in 1st, which is up hill, at idle speed now, and push the garage remote without it stalling. I can't do that very well at 1,100rpm, more like 1,200 or 1,300.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would have to disagree with this. Yes the bike was made for riding in higher RPM's but we don't ride on a race course to and from work everyday to keep it at the higher RPM's where you suggest it should run best.

I totally appreciate your comments and remember my gen1 being less of a 'handfull' at the lower speeds.

You do find yourself having to feather the clutch at low speed with the stock gearing (which i still have) on the gen3, that's the nature of the beast!

I also have to say that with regards to your comments on not riding on a race track to work etc, the bike was designed and manufactured with exactly that in mind...riding on a track that is! It's not a suggestion of mine that they work best in the upper rev range, it's a fact!

I too ride mine to work as happily as i thrash it round the mountains with the boys on a Sunday but have to say i don't really think (my guess) Kawasaki sat round the R&D office disscusing the challenges of making it a good commuter!

Gear it if not happy! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Tired searching but nothing seeme dto fit...

At idle speeds, clutch out, around 7-10 mph my bike is really ruff - kinda like it's gonna stall, which it doesn't. Idle is set at 1100, oil change less than 800miles ago.

Where should I start? Dirty injectors? Sync issue?

:dontknow:
Folks are just guessing, speculating, etc., and I did the same thing with my first entry.

She's talking about 7-10mph, clutch out, at idle speed. Well, I actually tried this today, and I have low gears (16/43). I had to go between 10-15mph to fully engage the clutch without it "feeling it's going to stall" (as she puts it). I think this is totally normal, and if you disagree, a challenge you to try it yourself.

·
Registered
478 Posts

My first gen has always been a bit jumpy at low RPM. If you just start off and idle with it in 1st (no throttle), it will move but it sort of bounces on driveline slack. Give it a tiny bit of throttle, maybe 1500RPM, and she purrs like a kitten.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Folks are just guessing, speculating, etc., and I did the same thing with my first entry.

She's talking about 7-10mph, clutch out, at idle speed. Well, I actually tried this today, and I have low gears (16/43). I had to go between 10-15mph to fully engage the clutch without it "feeling it's going to stall" (as she puts it). I think this is totally normal, and if you disagree, a challenge you to try it yourself.
:iamwithst

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ah...um.... She, who?

:thefinger :weed:

good to know this isn't uncommon

................ the pic is my wife

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
ah...um.... She, who?

:thefinger :weed:

good to know this isn't uncommon

................ the pic is my wife
Sorry dude, I assumed the pic was you, and without a real name it was a swag. :dontknow:

Weed? No weed here - yet - California still has to pass the law in November, and I don't doubt the local market will be selling it by Jan 1st :hippie:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry dude, I assumed the pic was you, and without a real name it was a swag. :dontknow:

Weed? No weed here - yet - California still has to pass the law in November, and I don't doubt the local market will be selling it by Jan 1st :hippie:
It's cool :eek:ccasion1

and if that shit passes, I'd be up fo a nickle when not on-call - not a bad muscle relaxer :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts