Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on top of the engine, there is a rubber mat that covers the whole thing. it lays on top of the engine and radiator and wraps around the throttle bodies and flaps off the rear and side of the engine. anyway, upon reassembling the engine, i didnt get it on right and just ended up cutting it off.

does it really serve any purpose other that possible deflecting water off the electrical connections?

im going to use the bike as a track bike and if i ride on the street, i never ride in the rain, so im wondering if it will hurt anything just leaving it off?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
on top of the engine, there is a rubber mat that covers the whole thing. it lays on top of the engine and radiator and wraps around the throttle bodies and flaps off the rear and side of the engine. anyway, upon reassembling the engine, i didnt get it on right and just ended up cutting it off.

does it really serve any purpose other that possible deflecting water off the electrical connections?

im going to use the bike as a track bike and if i ride on the street, i never ride in the rain, so im wondering if it will hurt anything just leaving it off?
I would say it shouldn't hurt, but I am no expert. It might also help insulate some of the heat on the tank also but not for sure. I will watch this post and maybe an expert will come along.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
i believe its for insulation/ protection. i think there may have been a member that had removed theirs, if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I believe the shop manual refers to it as a sound insulator, but it appeared to me to be more of a water run-off protector...

·
Registered
813 Posts
I believe it functions as a heat shroud to prevent heat soak form the engine getting to the fuel tank.

I've removed mine from the 07, have done 2-300 road km and a track day since, without any noticeable change or problems. It weighs 457g (just over a pound) on the 06-07.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
I removed mine 10,000 miles ago with no differences seen whatsoever. It doesn't do anything important IMHO, I haven't seen anything where it would have been needed in those miles where I didn't have it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool. thanks guys...i can have a peace of mind now.

i dont see how it would really protect the gas tank from heat anyway. the air box is btw the engine and tank..plus there is another rubber mat that goes btw the air box and tank if you elect to put it on...and the tank also has foam padding glued to the bottom of it to protect from heat.

i guess your airbox may get a little warmer on the inside, but as fast as the bike is sucking air through it, i dont see that it would make a nickels worth of difference.

well, thing look much less cluttered and cleaner down there with it removed anyway:mrgreen:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Actually, I'd forgotten about the airbox ; I added some silver reflective tape to the underside of mine, to keep down any hear transfer, however minimal it might be (there's a principle involved here !)

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It's main purpose was sound dampening.. As we all know the 10R is a noisy little fucker anytime it's not doing what it does best which is scream..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts