Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had the rsv4 for 2 hours yesterday.
The bike is very nice. Doesnt feel much different riding position to the zx10r.
The bike was brand new and had only just had a pdi on it.
I felt a bit bad thrashing a new bike.
After running the tyres in a started to open it up and the most noticable thing is how intrusive the anti wheelie is.
I reduced it alot but it cuts out and drops the front like a brick.
The s1000rr has a far softer control over anti wheelie which is definately superior.
Also the rsv4 is super responsive and snappy down low.
On track this is probably and advantage but on the road its a pig to control at low speeds.
Its way to high geared too so traffic riding is a jerky clutch slipping affair.
Rear end has superb feel too it but i found the front ohlins too soft for me and it was diving alot under brakes.
The brakes were average but i never got to try them out real good at higher speeds where i expect them to be awsome.
The abs is horrid. I braked hard into a round about and it cut in and felt like it was just letting the brake off for me. Very intrusive.
And the brake lever is a bit soft.
For some reason it kept running wide when i picked up the pace and i was missing apexs and ran over the white line on one bend which isnt good.
It needed more lean angle to get round than my zx10 but i wasnt prepared to bank it over that far on the road.
Now the good bits...
It sounds awsome. Its very loud for a stock bike and you can get it to pop and bang on the overrun.
Looks very nice.
Dash is trick and some of the problems i have stated could be improved within the settings.
The gearbox is just the best. Even better than the s1000rr. Quite a soft feel on the gearlever but it just works and blips so well.
Power is great but i cant say it feels any quicker than my zx10.
Verdict...
Classy bike but for the road its just no good in my opinion.
On track i expect it could be setup to be really good.
Would i buy one?
No. Id pay the extra and get the ducati

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Thanks for the feedbacks UK... I am eyeballing the RSV4 right now. Cheap for what you getting. Just not sure about a long term relationship with it..

Change the gearing
Get the Race ECU
Suspension adjusted
Unplug ABS

then you laughing!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedbacks UK... I am eyeballing the RSV4 right now. Cheap for what you getting. Just not sure about a long term relationship with it..

Change the gearing
Get the Race ECU
Suspension adjusted
Unplug ABS

then you laughing!
Are you buying for racing or would you be road riding?
The bike needs to be in 1st gear to ride at 30mph in traffic. Second makes it shudder.
Lowering 1st gear would cure that and the clutch slipping to pull away but it is so snappy even in the softest setting that if you hit a bump whilst trying to negotiate a road junction it could litterally snatch the bars out of your hands. Its much like the big bang r1 does.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
When I took a 2014 RSV4 for a quick spin around the block and after chatting with the owner, I came to the same conclusion as you UK.

For a road bike, Nah.
Track or race, all day long.

Plus, he had some problems with it, I can't remember at the moment exactly what it was, but I do know it's been in and out of the shop a number of times. Maybe they've sorted that with the new model.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually come to think of it i did a problem. The bike got hot in traffic. Then i stopped for a chat and the bike wouldnt start up again. It took about 1 minute of cranking before it started up!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Actually come to think of it i did a problem. The bike got hot in traffic. Then i stopped for a chat and the bike wouldnt start up again. It took about 1 minute of cranking before it started up!

Guys on Youtube been reporting the same issues as well.. euh.:frown2:

The whole package is appealing for the price but.. yeah sounds like gambling. :badteeth:

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Are you buying for racing or would you be road riding?
The bike needs to be in 1st gear to ride at 30mph in traffic. Second makes it shudder.
Lowering 1st gear would cure that and the clutch slipping to pull away but it is so snappy even in the softest setting that if you hit a bump whilst trying to negotiate a road junction it could litterally snatch the bars out of your hands. Its much like the big bang r1 does.
I live on Vancouver Island in Canada.. It reminds me of TT isle of Man. Long stretch of roads with no traffic lights and a lot of twisties. It seems that new generation of bikes were bred for the tracks. I am tempting to buy the RF version.. 16-17 left over or the 18 R version.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Owned a 13' RSV4 for about 2 years. Incredible bike IMHO. Power was almost as good as the 10r, but not quite. They've added 20+hp since I owned the 13 however. The TC and ABS were DIALED in on my 13'. It literally saved my ass from a low side. I took it to the track once. I was impressed with everything except top end power and the on/off fly by wire throttle. Aside from those 2 things the bike was the best handling bike I've ever ridden. Felt like a 600 to me. And then there's the sound of the V4 through a short(er) carbon slip on. OMG! Beautiful note! I would own one, but not as my only bike. Then there's the overall, love hate of Italian bikes. I'm on my 4th one now. 08 Hypermotard 1100S.

Attachments

Reactions: badexample

·
Registered
569 Posts
If your not tracking the bike, no need for the rf(although I love the 2017-2018 graphics). There are 2017 left over RSV4RR’s for $2-3k off msrp around here. I love my 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 street bike but a part of me thinks I would love a 2017 Tuono Factory even more!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I haven't ridden the latest model, but this sounds pretty accurate. I've said before and will say it again, if you're looking for an in town commuter, look elsewhere. Otherwise the bike is wonderful. Reliability hasn't been an issue for me, even after all these years. Mine doesn't have all the newest electronic trickery though, so I can't comment much on that.

As far as a bike to ride in an, ummm...spirited fashion (canyons, track, etc.), it's the best bike I've ever owned. For a commuter or in-town ride, it's the worst. It will roast your ass between lights, and hot starting problems is a widely reported issue on newer model years. Maintenance is no different than a Japanese sporty, cost of ownership is the same. The sound is fucking amazing and nothing else can touch it. Only the Ducati comes close.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I agree about the sound. Closest from the japs right now is the cross plane in the R1.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live on Vancouver Island in Canada.. It reminds me of TT isle of Man. Long stretch of roads with no traffic lights and a lot of twisties. It seems that new generation of bikes were bred for the tracks. I am tempting to buy the RF version.. 16-17 left over or the 18 R version.
My guess is it would be pretty good on them roads then.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My dad took out the factory tuano and he is in love with it. So much so he is probably going to part x his s1000rr for one.
He prefers the riding position and the huge low end grunt of the 1100 for road riding. To be honest there probably isnt much faster than the tuano on the uk roads.
The 1st gears still a bit tall but 1 tooth on the front should solve that.
Plus it can still perform on track.makes perfect sense really.
At the mo im sticking with my zx10r. Youd expect id be dissapointed getting back on a bike worth 10 thousand less than the rsv4 but i tell you what i just love the feel of my zx10r. The way ive got it set up i get so much feedback which gives me so much confidence on it.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
My dad took out the factory tuano and he is in love with it. So much so he is probably going to part x his s1000rr for one.
He prefers the riding position and the huge low end grunt of the 1100 for road riding. To be honest there probably isnt much faster than the tuano on the uk roads.
The 1st gears still a bit tall but 1 tooth on the front should solve that.
Plus it can still perform on track.makes perfect sense really.
At the mo im sticking with my zx10r. Youd expect id be dissapointed getting back on a bike worth 10 thousand less than the rsv4 but i tell you what i just love the feel of my zx10r. The way ive got it set up i get so much feedback which gives me so much confidence on it.
I've seen conversion from the RSV4 to the Tuono.. Great bike for sure!

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
When I see video like this.. I am like.. hum...
Dude! Watching that guy pull parts off and toss then in a box... looking at his garage org skills... my head hurts!

Reading the comments section about warranty due to the mileage (2500) and the way Aprilia ended up blowing him off. Not surprised in the least. Sounds a lot like Ford to be honest lol.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
One of the guys I know who raced a ZX-10R for years, switched to the RSV4. Claims you can reduce the weight issue. But he claims much better bike for racing and he's good. Claims no comparison for handling but this guy knows his shit too....

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well my dad just ordered the new tuano. Cant wait to have a go on that and see how that feels on the road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts