Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone done the race kit cams on the RR yet? Feedback?

Mine is in the shop now for head gasket, cams, springs and tuning. Just curious what to expect.

UPDATE: Just got it off the dyno. While dyno numbers are like a**holes, no two are alike, on this particular dyno, on this particular day, my bike made 202 rwhp. That's substantial with stock header and shorty exhaust.

D

2017 ZX10RR
BMC race filter, EDR ECU flash tune, FI-tech Auto Tune, Graves Slip-on w/ cat delete, ABS dongle, Pair valve removed, Intake flapper removed, ESD removed, Exhaust servo removed, Block off plates, Ohlins Damper, Ohlins shock, Vesrah SRJL pads, Vortex -1/+2, Sato rearsets, Vortex clip-ons, GB racing case covers, Shogun frame sliders, Armor Bodies race bodywork, Corsa windscreen, Continental Race Slicks, Tech Spec tank grip.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
447 Posts
Interesting ....

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
The kit cams help out in the top end quite a bit. If you've got track fairings... throw an XXL intake and show us some before/after. Considering that's a top-end benefiting mod it might do you some good with the kit cams. If it's trash let us know and return the SOB :lol:.

Also: how do you like those pads vs stock? have you tried out their newer ZZ pads at all?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive been running Vesrah SRJLs for over 10 years. On the BMW they are the tits. Ive only run them one day on the Ninja, but they feel good. I still have the ABS plumbed in with factory lines, but run ABS off with the dongle, so there is some give in the system. Still, they easily let me brake late on the front wheel into T10 at Thill so..... I'm using the XX IIRC. Not sure which compound I have on the BMW. The BMW brakes are firmer and bite quicker.

I had to upgrade the BMW to Brembo SS rotors though, as the stockers warped on the first session. The Stock Ninja rotors are holding up so far.....

The Vesrahs take some heat to bed in. Most street use wont allow them to bed in. Once they have the heat they work good on track and street though.

On a quick side note: the BMW HP forged wheels are MUCH lighter than the Kawasaki Marchesinis.....

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm sure Eric at EDR knows how to make the most out of them. And your not kidding at the silly cheap price.

Ill be doing the better filter, and am also considering the intake stacks....

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont have the estimate handy, But IIRC it was about $3k with transmission microfinishing, ECU re-flashing, custom dyno tune etc. Reach out to them, and they can get you a quote.

The cams themselves are cheap. The labor and tuning not so much.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Final Update: 202 rwhp.

Cant complain. Stock header and shorty exhaust even. I know I'm leaving some HP on the table with my exhaust choice.
Dyno sheet shows 85 ft/lbs of torque from 8000 rpm to red line.

I wish I had a before cam and after cam dyno sheet, but alas that didn't happen.

I will definitely need to go back to taller gearing, and a longer wheelbase. :)

Reflash ECU for bike per EDR Specs:
Strip bike and remove engine for top end SBK build. reinstall engine and button up bike,

R/R cylinder head, swap out head gaskets, disassemble cylinder head and reassemble with new kit valve springs and
camshafts, install cylinder head and set valves and degree camshafts

Remove clutch and transmission for repair.. reinstall complete gearbox and clutch... set up slipper clutch mods

R/R transmission completely and ready for Microfinishing, reassemble and shim with race kit shims.
Microfinish transmission gears

Race kit anti chatter Clutch Plate
Intake Camshaft -
Exhaust Camshaft -
Exhaust Springs -
Intake Springs -
Kit 2 layer Head Gasket -
Camshaft gears, Bolt, flanged,
Camshaft Sprocket adjustable kit -
Clutch spring Retainer, kit, alloy -
Input Snap Ring
Output Snap Ring
Clutch Gasket
Bolt, Torx
Bearing, shift drum

Total cost just over $3k

Ill have a ride report after the 11th of March

·
Registered
460 Posts
GreenWeenie, what are your thoughts on the Continental slicks? Can you compare to the Pirelli Superbike slicks? Do you have a Continental vendor at track?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There currently is no vendor in the US (that I am aware of) for Conti slicks and race tires.
I received a set directly from Continental.

In my opinion, they compare very closely to a Dunlop. Stiff sidewall, excellent grip and wear.

Pirelli's have a soft carcass, these, like Dunlops are very stiff. They also only come in a 190/60. They are supposed to have a 200/55 available this year.

I liked them, but when they are done, Ill be going back to Dunlop. Only because no one sells them, yet.

If you are in Europe, and can get a set, try em. They seem a little bit cheaper than Dunlops also.

D

·
Registered
460 Posts
Understood. No Im in US and for cost I would like to try them but would need track support. Thanks for the response and I'll stick to my Pirellis for now.

Interested to hear your thoughts after testing the new clutch package...

·
Registered
306 Posts
We have a trackside continental dealer here in our florida series now (FMRRA) If you want to give them a try give Eric a call at MWC performance. He said their US headquarters is somewhere in Texas, and that they've got several private test tracks in the surrounding areas that they do testing on.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Buttonwillow ZX10RR RRRR Ride report.

Got the bike back from EDR with kit cams, head gasket, microfinished transmission, WSBK air filter, ecu reflash and custom dyno tune. Hit 204 RWHP with the stock header, and Graves shorty cat delete system.

Prior to March 11, I had never been to Buttonwillow, so as the A group marshal (They call it B+) I would be learning the track real quick.
We ran clockwise, configuration #13.

With an extra 20 some hp over the last time I rode the RR at Thill, and the wheelie issues I struggled with then, I decided to re-gear.
I had initially gone -1/+2, and it was just too much, if a hoot on the street! So for BW, I went back to stock rear sprocket, running -1/+0 now.
This helped lengthen the wheelbase too.

BW is NOT a horsepower track. Aside from a couple short straights, and one long sweeper, its pretty technical.
Although I was in a vest, it wouldn't do to get run over in the A group bumbling my way through the race line, so I went out in the first C, B, and A groups on my coach bike, a BMW S1000R. That helped me find the lines in a slower environment, so when I did get out on the 10RR. I at least knew whish way the turns went.

I set the KTRIC at 2, Power at Full, ABS OFF.

The first session on the 10RR was interesting. I immediately found the power band had an off/on around 8k. By turning the Engine Braking (EBC) to "L" this helped a little, but it was still pretty tough. I would have to ride around it the rest of the day, I would need to keep the RPMS up over 8k. This meant shifting. On this track, it was easy enough to leave the RR in 4th gear and just fly everywhere. This was problematic in a couple corner exits where the RPM would drop, and upset the bike, and abruptly rocket off towards the dirt when I got back on the throttle. Downshifting into 3rd was beneficial, except for the massive wheelies. Even in 4th, I was getting wheelies around 130 mph.

Needless to say it was quite easy to reel R1s and BMWs in with copious amount of throttle on the straights. The Big piston forks felt amazing. The first session they were cold and bouncy, but as they warmed up, I dialed in a little more preload, and a "click" of compression and rebound up front. (The RR doesn't have "clicks" so I guessed. I also added two clicks of Steering damper to handle the often airborne front wheel.

BW has several spots where the track rises, then drops off, each and every one of them a wheelie on the big ZX as it carried the tire in the air into the braking zone of the next corner. I found that I could go even faster through the sweeper "riverside".

After a few sessions following the racer types I learned where I didn't have to brake. Coming from PIR in Portland, I could out brake nearly everyone here at BW, especially in the tighter "off-ramp" and "sweeper" entries. Which is where I caught a lot of riders.

At the braking point for Phil Hill, I was seeing over 20mph faster on the RR than on the BMW.

The brakes are good on the ZX10RR, not great like the BMW. Of course I have forged wheels and Brembo SS rotors on the Beemers, so I think a Brembo rotor upgrade is due for the Ninja as well.

At the end of the day, the bike ran great. I had no issues. Didn't even need to make any major changes.

Ill be curious to see how it runs at Thill, a known track for me.

For those curious, here is a complete list of mods:

Armor Bodies race plastic
Race fairing stay and ram air intake inlet tube
Zero Offset clip ons
Ohlins analog Steering damper (ESD deleted)
BSB Air filter
Vesrah SRJL xx brake pads
Sato Rearsets
Graves low mount cat delete
FiTech Autotune and EDR custom ECU flash
Kawasaki Kit cams
Kawasaki Head gasket
Microfinished and shimmed transmission
PAIR delete
ABS dongle
Shift Light
GB case covers
Shogun Frame sliders
Cox Radiator Guards
Stomp Grip
Pit Bull stands
R&G frame stops

I should mention the provider: CaliTrackdays.com Home of the $100 track day

Pictures of the day can be found at Caliphotography.com

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone done the race kit cams on the RR yet? Feedback?

Mine is in the shop now for head gasket, cams, springs and tuning. Just curious what to expect.

UPDATE: Just got it off the dyno. While dyno numbers are like a**holes, no two are alike, on this particular dyno, on this particular day, my bike made 202 rwhp. That's substantial with stock header and shorty exhaust.

D

2017 ZX10RR
BMC race filter, EDR ECU flash tune, FI-tech Auto Tune, Graves Slip-on w/ cat delete, ABS dongle, Pair valve removed, Intake flapper removed, ESD removed, Exhaust servo removed, Block off plates, Ohlins Damper, Ohlins shock, Vesrah SRJL pads, Vortex -1/+2, Sato rearsets, Vortex clip-ons, GB racing case covers, Shogun frame sliders, Armor Bodies race bodywork, Corsa windscreen, Continental Race Slicks, Tech Spec tank grip.

Hello there. First post from me even tho i have read thousands of posts in this forum.Great info in there. I am searching all over the internet weeks now, for some information about the camshafts and couldn't find anything related until i found your post :)
Getting to my question: I have a ZX-10R KRT 2016 and i want to ask if anyone has change the OEM camshaft to the race ones offered in the Kawasaki website. Or if someone has sent the OEM ones to a cam shop to mod them up. And if so could i gain with the race ones or i will lose power? Also if i buy the race ones offered through Kawa shop will i need any mods to the head? Or will work as is?
If anyone has an answer for that it will be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To answer your question, Yes several of us have done the kit cams. You will lose mod range power, but gain some extreme top end. They require additional modifications, such as full exhaust, flash tune and head gasket for best results. They do require machining the non-RR head for clearance. I dont have the details on what that entails though. Unless you are racing they arent worth the time and effort IMHO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To answer your question, Yes several of us have done the kit cams. You will lose mod range power, but gain some extreme top end. They require additional modifications, such as full exhaust, flash tune and head gasket for best results. They do require machining the non-RR head for clearance. I dont have the details on what that entails though. Unless you are racing they arent worth the time and effort IMHO.
Thank you for your reply. Was helpful. At the current time, my bike has 3/4 SC Project so it's somehow full system even with the OEM Titanium manifold. Going to buy the MWR WSBK Filter and MWR Velocity Stacks and will dyno flash it with Woolish soft. So thats, why i wondered if, will be a good thought if i also bought the Race Cams from Kawasaki. But if i will lose mid-range power i think it's not good because already the Kawas are low in the mid range and gaining more power after 8k rpm. I expected to gain some mid-range as well as top-end tho with the cams :/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts