Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just picked up a used 2012 ZX10R. Has about 15k miles on it with a graves slip on. Didn't see a power commander, but i haven't really done a thorough search of the bike. When I get on the throttle it doesn't go past 9500 RPM. I called a Kawi dealer today and they said it was a factory limiter that should have been taken off when they performed one of the services. Also cam chain rattles like crazy!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Let me know if you figure it out, I'm on an 08, but having the same issue with the bike not revving above 9500 or so. I've done all the work on my 08, and there's no limiter of that type (it's hard for me to imagine there's one on any other gens either though I could be wrong).

Also, someone else might correct me on this, but the cam chain should be kept tight by the tensioner, if you really think you're hearing that chain I wouldn't ride it until that's corrected.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The cam chain noise is notorious on the 4th Gen. Fortunately nobody has reported any collateral effect other than the noise. I actually don't mind the noise on mine. It's just another sweet mechanical song to my ears and I consider my bike to be part Ducati. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
The cam chain noise is notorious on every Kawi. Fortunately nobody has reported any collateral effect other than the noise. I actually don't mind the noise on mine. It's just another sweet mechanical song to my ears and I consider my bike to be part Ducati. :grin2:
Fixed lol.
...Noticed the other day when i started the 636 to go to work, started the bike, normal CC rattle and after about 10 sec's it musta ratcheted up or whatever because it got real quiet all of a sudden. Just after start up on idle. Stupid thing was getting noisy!

·
Registered
46 Posts
ok this is from my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND I AM IN NO WAY A MECHANIC!!! i bought mine a couple weeks back (2012 10r w/10k miles) and the cam chain was rattling already... so what i had done was a manual one, from Shawnee cycle plaza in Kansas.. and the noise obviously went away... i have also had a 2004 cbr 600rr cut out at 11k, it was in fact a pinched fuel line causing the issue... its free to check and fairly easy, just time consuming... but the gen 4 tensioners are 100% known to be junk from the factory... our local shop here Smithers said that he's replaced countless of them on gen 4's, some of them with OEM's and 3k later they were junk again... went with manual and never had a problem he says... mine has 0 noise now since the manual one..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
xhonda1991x thanks man. From looking at a bunch of these other forum posts I've figured out its normal now. Going to be ordering the APE tensioner soon! As for the cutting out I am going to take it to the dealer monday. My bike came with warranty so I should have it all figured out next week hopefully! Couple of friends are heading out to the track on the 5th, so I'm trying to get everything situated by then!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cam chain noise is notorious on the 4th Gen. Fortunately nobody has reported any collateral effect other than the noise. I actually don't mind the noise on mine. It's just another sweet mechanical song to my ears and I consider my bike to be part Ducati. :grin2:
Yeah that collateral was the only thing I was worried about. This is my first time owning a Kawi coming from 2 Yamahas

·
Registered
56 Posts
If the loose cam chain caused it to skip a tooth on one of the sprockets, some computers see the mismatch between cam and crank position sensors and put it in a rev limit mode. Found that out the hard way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts