Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys Im taking my wheels off to get them powdercoated for some reason two of the bolts that hold the front rotor on rounded while trying to remove them with the allen key. the last one came out ok just these two. Any sugestions on how I should get them out? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Use an "easy out" bit or you could use a dremel and cut slots for a flathead screwdriver and get it out with a drill. I had the exact same thing happen. I used and "easy out" and it came out luckily. Good luck, those bolts are soft and with Red loctitie their easy to strip.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Easy out is the way to go just make sure to use right size drill bit and get a good bite before you go for it. As your turning the easy out tap it with a hammer to keep it biting.
Never had much luck with the flat head aproach and its easy to slip and dick up surrounding parts while doing it, def last resort

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Use an "easy out" bit or you could use a dremel and cut slots for a flathead screwdriver and get it out with a drill. I had the exact same thing happen. I used and "easy out" and it came out luckily. Good luck, those bolts are soft and with Red loctitie their easy to strip.
exactly. fuggen red loctite with soft bolts is a nightmare.

BD

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Prior to removing rotor bolt use an allen socket of the right size and before you put a ratchet on it take a deadblow hammer and give them a good whack or 2 with the socket in the bolt head to loosen up the locktite. They may still come out with an allen socket after whacking them a couple of times to help loosen up the locktite, depending on how bad they are rounded. Worth a try.....

Tread

·
Registered
199 Posts
Speaking of hammering it in the star sockets, security bits like the ones on your ignition will bite sometimes to when things get ugly.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Prior to removing rotor bolt use an allen socket of the right size and before you put a ratchet on it take a deadblow hammer and give them a good whack or 2 with the socket in the bolt head to loosen up the locktite. They may still come out with an allen socket after whacking them a couple of times to help loosen up the locktite, depending on how bad they are rounded. Worth a try.....

Tread
:+1

·
Registered
474 Posts
Use a impact driver with the correct size allen.Put coarse valve grinding compound on the tip on the allen(the sand in the compound helps bind the allen)Now hit the impact driver with a very solid hit and turn(solid hit helps break up the loctight).
If that doesn't do it,nothing else is easy.Easy out or drill the head of the allen off then use vise grips on the stud.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks fella going to sears now to get an easy out. Next question is how'd you get the bearings out?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Next question is how'd you get the bearings out?
carefully :wink:

There's a couple of threads in which bearing removal is talked about and i use the caveman method but there is a more modern way if you choose to purchase the proper tools or have your local shop do them.

BD

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks BD and 06blackpearl I might just use the cave man method since I ordered new ones. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
381 Posts
First, take a hammer and pound the top of the bolt so it's flat again. Use a heat gun on the bolt to loosen the loctite. Use a stubby allen wrench or a stubby allen socket if you have one. It's hard to get the proper force with the normal length allen wrenches/sockets. If the bolt strips out again, try the torx socket. If that doesn't work, get out the drill.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had exactly this problem on my bike. I turned the wheel the other way around and filled the area behind the bolts with releasing fluid and left them overnight to seep along the threads. Next day I turned the wheel over and heated the bolts, keep the heat away from the bearing seals. I sat the wheel on a bench so the disc was horizontal, then used a cold chisel to make an indentation approx 90 degrees from me on the right hand side of the bolt, as I'm facing it, then turn the chisel to 45 degrees and hammer the indent towards the hub, so you're hitting against solid metal on the wheel, if you hit outwards you risk splitting the mount. After a couple of hits the thread cement cracks enough for you to loosen the bolt by tapping the indent anti-clockwise.

You'll need a replacement bolt:lol:

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Bearing removed

Okay just got my bearing removed took about 10 min. after i figured out what to do (no instructions)
This tool is worth it guys slide the correct size (25mm) bearing head into the bearing slide the shaft through the other side down to the bearing head aligning the split with the shaft place on hard surface and hit w/hammer, then elevate wheel up and hit a few more times w/ hammer bearing falls right out. $40.00 tool guys very simple

http://www.toolsource.com/bearing-remover-motorcycle-p-98839.html

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
^^ Right on!! :thumbsup: sure beats my caveman method.

BD

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
^^ Right on!! :thumbsup: sure beats my caveman method.

BD
Tell me about it.. I tried and tried your technique and finally gave up and got the right tools.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts