Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, can someone give me some insight on my problem. When I start my bike cold it will not turn over, but if I hold open the throttle it will turn over..... If I have just come in from riding it will start with no problem. Is it the battery or the PCIII? Thanks for all your help in advance!

·
Registered
586 Posts
troubleshooting things like this can be very tricky on the internet, I can say a weak battery (2 years old or more) can lead to hard starting/prolonged cranking. A new battery and a fresh set of plugs is a good start IMO.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
What do you mean it doesn't turn over? If you hit the starter without touching the throttle does the starter engage? Turn the motor over, but no fire? Or does the starter literally not engage until you touch the throttle? It wouldn't make any sense if that's the case, but that's what the original post makes it sound like (to me).

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Could be any number of things. How many miles are on the bike?

I kinda doubt battery since adding throttle wouldn't really help it start if it was struggling to get spark.

Might be plugs themselves, but generally startup isn't the problem there, it's more often that the bike won't rev up above a certain rpm.

Does it have a PCIII? Maybe the map is too lean at idle.

Does it idle okay once it starts? What does it idle at? Maybe the cold start isn't working and your idle isn't coming up in the colder weather.

Does it have a hard time revving up? Could be plugs, or fuel pump.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be any number of things. How many miles are on the bike?

I kinda doubt battery since adding throttle wouldn't really help it start if it was struggling to get spark.

Might be plugs themselves, but generally startup isn't the problem there, it's more often that the bike won't rev up above a certain rpm.

Does it have a PCIII? Maybe the map is too lean at idle.

Does it idle okay once it starts? What does it idle at? Maybe the cold start isn't working and your idle isn't coming up in the colder weather.

Does it have a hard time revving up? Could be plugs, or fuel pump.
The bike has 4400 miles on it and yes it does have a PCIII. I was thinking it was the PC myself because I sell gas strong. So it running to lean could be an option..... I just purchase the bike from a guy a week ago and she was fine we I test drove her and all. Of course right!!! Oh.... and the idling was kind of high around 1500rpm when warm, so I turned it down to 1100.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
At 4400 miles I would rule out plugs or valves making it hard to start. I would start by turning the idle back up, to make it start (you should be able to make the bike idle smoothly at 1100 warm, but since that's the only change I would revert that back first).

Then I would look into the map. It could be too lean at idle, but then you wouldn't smell gas. What other mods does it have? You might just un-plug the PCIII to see if that fixes it. If so, I'd guess either a map or throttle position setting in the PCIII is the culprit.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Also if the last owner of the bike removed the secondary butterfly valves, that can make it a bit more difficult. I was also told, but its second hand info, that when the battery starts to get low it the fuel pump wont pump as much fuel. So maybe thats why twisting the throttle helps?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts