Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have decided i want to change the rotors on my gen1 04 10r. i did a search on rotors and i know that more surface area is good and more holes keep them cool. other than that, what else am i looking for? basically i want to know, what makes brembo the best? how does galfer compare and are the rotors useless if i use the oem calipers? thanks everyone in advance!

·
Registered
307 Posts
to get more surface area, you would also need bigger pads, calipers etc..

you wont notice a big change with rotors, switch the calipers.. that is the problem on the 1st gen, calipers, lines and master cylinder....

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
most aftermarket rotors will be semi or full floating rotors and are made from better material to dissipate heat faster n such. shop around and you'll find that rotors from alth,brembo,ebc,galfer,braking,ferado, etc are all alot similar but then again it boils down to what you've done to the rest of your braking system IMO anyway, you running the stock master cylinder,lines,calipers,pads? i've seen several nice new sets around and will send you some links if you'd like? we run 300mm rotors but if you find a set from several years of the ZX6-Zx6r they are compatible. let me know and i will gladldy pm or email you quite a few links i've saved on the rotors. there are also several other factors which will make one brand of rotor more expensive or "better" than others. i had a set of brembo hp rotors but got rid of them and ended up getting a set of the alth rotors BUT would love to get a set of ebc prolites.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
to get more surface area, you would also need bigger pads, calipers etc..

you wont notice a big change with rotors, switch the calipers.. that is the problem on the 1st gen, calipers, lines and master cylinder....
:headshake...not soo much man, the problem on the 1st gen is the master cylinder...kawi chose to run a standard MC with radial calipers... if you simply just switch the MC over to a radial unit then you'll notice a HUGE difference...this is even using stock lines and pads.....swap out the MC,lines,pads,and maybe throw some rotors on and you'll be amazed!!! even without the rotors simply doing the MC swap is a VERY noticeable improvement!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
quality of materials and manufacturing is the key. good rotors will work fine with stock calipers, just use good quality performance pads. I agree that the weak point is the master cylinder. upgrade to a 2nd gen mc, or better yet go with the brembo radial. itll be like night and day. stainless hoses are a must as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts