Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to take my buds 08 10 out for a couple hours, figured I'd go scare the shit outta myself. It turned out power wise it aint that scary at all...wtf? It handles and stops great, but I expected more from the motor department...are they restricted stock like the cbr1000's? It wasn't slow, but not the tire lofting, rocketship hang on for dear life acceleration I was lead to expect. It is all stock though. It seemed like I had to keep it spun up like a 600 for any real power. The 08 gixxer I rode felt stronger everywhere. Maybe my friend got a friday bike :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
First question I would ask is where did you go in the rev range. My buddy said the same thing about mine inly to find out he only went up to 6000 rpm as that is where he likes to ride,

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I never thought my 08 was that incredible, only power wheelied in 1st gear, once in a while would carry the wheel a little in 2nd... but I can assure you that if you run a couple gears all the way to redline you will be at a very high rate of speed way quicker than you expected.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I have ridden just about everything and I can say that the 08 Gixxer is nothing like my 08 10, to keep things even my 10 has a bunch done to it so it is not an apples to apples comparison, I had an 06 CBR 1000 that had a bunch done and it felt sluggish in comparison (it was 163 to the wheel).

·
Registered
279 Posts
I own an 09 10 and have owned an 08 GIXXER 1000, both with similar mods and the GIXXER did seem to have more thrust riding around town but above the 9,000 rpm mark the 10 seems stronger.

The GIXXER motor is buzzy with more vibration through the bars then the 10 even after I put the heavier weighted Busa bar ends on it. The trans is much smoother on the 10 as well, that's my findings.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The 08-09 10r is asleep under 5K but anything above that hold the fuck on. Once I figured out the power range I almost killed myself. This is stock gearing tho, once i put a 16t sprocket I'm sure it'll be a whole different ball game.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I've posted about this before, but when stock my Gen 3 felt considerably slower than my modded Gen 1 everywhere except the very high rpm's.

Having experimented with the kit ecu and stock ecu on the Gen 3, the Gen 3 really is electronically castrated to aid less experienced riders. The Gen 1 has no such concession and is raw, aggressive and vicious in it's power delivery. The KIMS system (Kawi's pseudo traction control) from my findings is more of a method in taming the power delivery aspect as I found it lacks precision and proper intervention to make it a usable tool to make a good rider's laptimes any faster. Having the KIMS turned on or off has a profound effect. With it on, it feels like the motor has a very heavy crank and doesn't want to rev very quickly. When off, it feels much more urgent and zings through the rev range perceptibly quicker.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The power band is just a little higher. If you look at the dyno charts you will see that the gsxr has a little more down low-lowmid, but once the 10R hits the 7000ish RPM range...its lights out for the competition.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've posted about this before, but when stock my Gen 3 felt considerably slower than my modded Gen 1 everywhere except the very high rpm's.

Having experimented with the kit ecu and stock ecu on the Gen 3, the Gen 3 really is electronically castrated to aid less experienced riders. The Gen 1 has no such concession and is raw, aggressive and vicious in it's power delivery. The KIMS system (Kawi's pseudo traction control) from my findings is more of a method in taming the power delivery aspect as I found it lacks precision and proper intervention to make it a usable tool to make a good rider's laptimes any faster. Having the KIMS turned on or off has a profound effect. With it on, it feels like the motor has a very heavy crank and doesn't want to rev very quickly. When off, it feels much more urgent and zings through the rev range perceptibly quicker.
How did you manage to turn the KIMS off?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Well my friend look at the world superstock racing and you will find the 10R is not all that unless in a straightline...it may have more peak power but who cares what the top end is when you cant get to a given point on another bike with less Hp faster?
Sorry but power alone is not what makes a bike worthy of praise.

think John Reynolds summed it perfect, who cares if a bike gives you the feeling of moving around & excitement, when you can ride something that does it right with no fuss and win..something like that is what real racers want...something kawi has failed in every aspect since the early to mid nineties.
love my 1st gen 10r but sure i am faster on something else.....someday maybe kawi will get some real test riders adn make a complete bike for once.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I agree that power alone does not ensure absolute victory on the racetrack unless you're drag racing and even that has other dynamics involved. The ZX-10R has always been about the motor, but I know it has had a reputation of being this unwieldy ill-handling beast (mainly by the uninitiated or squids). Yes, it is not as sweet handling as some of the other liter bikes and may not be a best platform for superbike racing. Also, it is notoriously difficult to set up and very sensitive to adjustments.

The new ZX-10R has proven to be a pretty good platform however, with successes in Canadian Superbike, Irish road racing, Endurance racing, etc.

I love Kawis but it seems that their focus in racing has changed from MotoGP and Superbike to the stunting and drag racing crowd. I will keep my ZX-10R because I enjoy the performance, but I highly doubt my next bike will be another Kawi unless they renew their commitment to track performance.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Ivans TRE (or build one yourself) will disaable the KIMS because the bike wil think it is in nuetral in every gear and KIMS does not work in nuetral.

It also disables the stock gear indicator and the fuel cut.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The kit ECU has the provision to hook up a switch to enable or disable the KIMS system. Some say that using a TRE also disables it, but I am not sure if this has been proven or confirmed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ivans TRE (or build one yourself) will disaable the KIMS because the bike wil think it is in nuetral in every gear and KIMS does not work in nuetral.

It also disables the stock gear indicator and the fuel cut.
Does the Ivan's TRE not trick the bike into thinking it is in 5th? which would mean the KIMS would still be active.

My GIXXER had and Ivan's TRE and the gear indicator showed 5 all the time.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Well my friend look at the world superstock racing and you will find the 10R is not all that unless in a straightline...it may have more peak power but who cares what the top end is when you cant get to a given point on another bike with less Hp faster?
Sorry but power alone is not what makes a bike worthy of praise.

think John Reynolds summed it perfect, who cares if a bike gives you the feeling of moving around & excitement, when you can ride something that does it right with no fuss and win..something like that is what real racers want...something kawi has failed in every aspect since the early to mid nineties.
love my 1st gen 10r but sure i am faster on something else.....someday maybe kawi will get some real test riders adn make a complete bike for once.

Since the early to mid 90's? :rolleyes:

I recall Scott Russell winning the WSB Championship in 1993 on a Kawasaki. What early 90's are you refering to? Only 4 cylinder bike yet to accomplish the feat.

Remember you stated "in every aspect". What aspect was 1993? Does 1993 not qualify as early or mid 90's? :dontknow:

If owning a bike that wins races is so important to you from the ownership perspective, go buy you a 09 R1 Yamaha, sit back enjoy the races, drink some beers and toast your new bike. :spit:

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Does the Ivan's TRE not trick the bike into thinking it is in 5th? which would mean the KIMS would still be active.

My GIXXER had and Ivan's TRE and the gear indicator showed 5 all the time.
Ivans TRE for 2006-2009 ZX10R uses the nuetral map, a 9.6K OHM resistor. I have one. It does disable the gear indicatror and the KIMS but more importantly the Fuel Cut.

I have NO IDEA about Gixxers. I figure Ivan uses what works best from model to model. Gixxers are probably different. I wouldnt know. What I do know is that I can 100% guarantee you that Ivans TRE 009 for 06-09 ZX10R model uses the Nuetral map as I have one installed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Since the early to mid 90's? :rolleyes:

I recall Scott Russell winning the WSB Championship in 1993 on a Kawasaki. What early 90's are you refering to? Only 4 cylinder bike yet to accomplish the feat.

Remember you stated "in every aspect". What aspect was 1993? Does 1993 not qualify as early or mid 90's? :dontknow:

If owning a bike that wins races is so important to you from the ownership perspective, go buy you a 09 R1 Yamaha, sit back enjoy the races, drink some beers and toast your new bike. :spit:
Don't do it, been there done that, had that bike for 2 days and dealt it back to the dealer for my 09 10, I agree bikes that win races may not win your heart over.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Fact of the matter is, no racer is under 6K rpms in a race for long...., so it doesn't really matter if it is peaky.... the older R1's were notorious for being sluggish at low rpm's but they still managed to win races in WSBK. It's all about how much money the company is willing to invest in racing. Company's like Honda, Yamaha and Ducati....Invest a ton of capital in racing..... honda being the exception because of they have their hands in a lot of different markets, therefore have the capital to invest a lot in racing.

Kawasaki is simply not willing to risk dropping a lot of money on a race team like Ducati and Yamaha... (WSBK examples)

Bike vs. Bike Most liter bikes are extremely similar in performance

1 - 20 of 75 Posts