Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im debating what all i need to do to correct a knock i felt in 75-100% throttle between 3-8k from asking around a bit and my own impression i feel likes it probably rod knock or piston slap.

THIS IS NOT CHAIN NOISE i am familiar with how they are noisy bikes and sound like tractors, etc this is a lower heaver noise its been a while since i rode the bike but i think it was posibly even felt a little. kinda felt like going wot on my old zx9r at low rpms and it would "burble"

any one have this problem and resolve it? all advice welcome

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Are you sure it's a mechanical noise from inside the engine, and not intake noise? These bikes have a fair bit of both.

If it really is a rod knock then there ought to be other signs. Drain the engine oil and inspect it. Take the oil filter off and cut it apart. Copper-coloured metallic shrapnel to the extent that the oil looks like metallic paint? You've got issues. All looks normal? No problem.

·
Registered
700 Posts
IF its rod knock the only fix is a complete rebuild of the motor. If its a gen 1 bike it could very well be the generator bushings are gone causing a knock sound.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its hard to say where its coming from since its under a load only. i dont see how it could be intake noise its way to heavy or solid of a noise to be air noise.
how do i cut an oil filter without making a bunch of metal dust which will defeat the purpose of looking for metal in the filter?
the oil came out cleanish certainly not black metal flake like a ranger bass boat.
ill be checking the generator bushings i guess. and probably tearing the crank out tomorrow.

what is a complete rebuild entail? cant i do rod and crank bearings, rering and be done or is a crank ,rod and piston replacement the only solution? if i am looking at that i dont even want to tear down cause i cant afford that. ill just ride it till it pukes.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If a rebuild is in your mind, crank and block would definitly go to the machine shop, rods if you want depending how they look

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. Did you ever find out what it was? I've heard so many different maybes from different sources. I took it to a race bike shop and he initially thought it was the values. All the valves were in spec and he said the chain was tight so it's something internal. He said it's cheaper just to get another motor drop and swap other that a rebuild. My bike is stock other than a pc3. Road racing for the past year on it. I'm kind of reluctant to just spend $1k+ on a motor than try the cheaper things first. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine GEN1 have this knock, specially in idle.
Seens come form clutch, but is not...
I already replaced the CAM chain tensioner for a manual and still knocking...
If was the generator bushing, can I exchange?
What is the PN for this bushing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts