Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I live in central Texas and my sister just moved to Valaparaiso, IN to go to grad school. I'm thinking of making a trip to see her, possibly going through and making a stop in Iowa first to catch up with a friend from my freshman year here in college ;) It's 1200 miles to my sister's in Indiana but if I go through Iowa, it's roughly 14 hours to my destination in Iowa and another 7 to my sister. Questions:

What should I do to prepare the bike for this kind of 2400 mile ride?

What should I do to prepare myself for this kind of ride?!

It's kind of a last minute decision, will be going before winter, but about where would I be feeling the real climate change? How much time should I set aside for this journey? School starts next Wednesday, the 25th, should I leave work right now and just go hop on my beauty and ride?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I live in St Louis so you would probably be traveling close to my area. I can tell you that around here you can ride into the beginning of Nov and your temps will be in the 50s. Are you planning on taking straight highway all the way, or do you want to take the scenic route?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I live in St Louis so you would probably be traveling close to my area. I can tell you that around here you can ride into the beginning of Nov and your temps will be in the 50s. Are you planning on taking straight highway all the way, or do you want to take the scenic route?
Not too sure, I could see myself making this trip multiple times so I think I'd stay highway this time just to get there and back. UNLESS there is a must-see place where all of God's beauty is bundled up in an hour stretch of road or something.

Figured it would get cold that way, being in Texas, I ride year round with an A-Stars leather jacket, regular jeans, and boots. If it's cold, I'll sometimes throw on some Under Armour tights under my jeans. Is it a cold 50 degrees or during the day would I be alright?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Is it a cold 50 degrees or during the day would I be alright?
Its not horrible if you dress right. Usually I would wear a leather jacket with a hoodie underneath and long underwear under jeans. Also a neoprene face/neck mask. The worst is my hands would get cold. But if you get a throttle lock you can switch hands and stick next to the engine and they get nice a toasty.

Speaking of throttle lock if you dont have one get one. Nothing worse then sitting for hours on end holding the throttle open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts