Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone just wanted to share my first actual road trip on the gen5. I started in hinesville ga. Went up to Savannah then Atlanta about 4hrs. Talked to a buddy i was deployed with now stationed at campbell thought wth and rode up here to Tennessee. Bike is amazing im due for my 4800mile service now, only issue is the damn seat thing harder than concrete i had to stop about every 100 miles or for a good stretch, Also riding position was giving me hip pain think its time for a rearset were time i had to sit on the tank for leg stretch. Besides those to things awesome. I also have a rossi III rear tire pretty good tire there were 2 moments where i got in and out of traffic got aggresssive lean angle and felt the tire stepped out, besides that okay got caught in that storm in nashville wet riding was amazing to say the least it was really coming down had TC on 3 then went to 5 was still able to do 75mph in hov lane no slip no slide. Definetly built confidence in wet conditions. Next stop im thinking virginia but head back south to visit family. Thursday settting up a trip from GA to NYC. Stay tuned for that. Oh my front tire is still the oem battlax mileage is at 5036 still life on her will be switching to a rossi III when time comes hate not running a matched set.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey everyone just wanted to share my first actual road trip on the gen5. I started in hinesville ga. Went up to Savannah then Atlanta about 4hrs. Talked to a buddy i was deployed with now stationed at campbell thought wth and rode up here to Tennessee. Bike is amazing im due for my 4800mile service now, only issue is the damn seat thing harder than concrete i had to stop about every 100 miles or for a good stretch, Also riding position was giving me hip pain think its time for a rearset were time i had to sit on the tank for leg stretch. Besides those to things awesome. I also have a rossi III rear tire pretty good tire there were 2 moments where i got in and out of traffic got aggresssive lean angle and felt the tire stepped out, besides that okay got caught in that storm in nashville wet riding was amazing to say the least it was really coming down had TC on 3 then went to 5 was still able to do 75mph in hov lane no slip no slide. Definetly built confidence in wet conditions. Next stop im thinking virginia but head back south to visit family. Thursday settting up a trip from GA to NYC. Stay tuned for that. Oh my front tire is still the oem battlax mileage is at 5036 still life on her will be switching to a rossi III when time comes hate not running a matched set.

Glad to hear the Gen 5 is doing well for you, I'm looking into the Rosso III front and rear as well for my '16.. how do you like them overall and do they grip just as well as the stock RS10s?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Glad to hear the Gen 5 is doing well for you, I'm looking into the Rosso III front and rear as well for my '16.. how do you like them overall and do they grip just as well as the stock RS10s?
they grip well in hot not like a rs10 but fairly close it shines when weather is sketchy and mind you i only have the rear tire

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heading back to georgia cant believe caught in another storm damn phone sent me through nashville after picking a route to go around it. Bike still going strong and running like a beast. Tires still good but swapping out the front when i get bk im over 5k not sure how many miles everyone is getting out of theirs, i did have a few races lined up in Tennessee but weather didnt allow running. 1 was a 2008 r1 he wantes 4bikes another race was a zx14r on spray and mr12 he said bike was setup for 1/8mi drag would have been a nice race i asked for 2bikes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There's a great custom seat shop in my area so I had a custom fitting done. Expensive but worth it if you're going to be taking road trips.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You must be talking about rosso III pirelli. Not tried them. No idea why the saddle is bothering you.
Yes the rossi IIIs they changed my thought process. For some reason i just wanted to hate them to get back to super corsas but just cant rear tire held true and got me through 3 rain storms safely wothout traction control being triggered. No real signs of wear over 1400 miles on it. Def. Worth checking out for my fellow riders that daily ride their bikes.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Yes the rossi IIIs they changed my thought process. For some reason i just wanted to hate them to get back to super corsas but just cant rear tire held true and got me through 3 rain storms safely wothout traction control being triggered. No real signs of wear over 1400 miles on it. Def. Worth checking out for my fellow riders that daily ride their bikes.
All rears are worn out at 1400 miles except for two: power 3's or their newest and the Met rr m7. The powers simply spin and wear out at about 3k and are hard. Get the Met rr 55's, although idk about wet with them. But they wear out at about 3k or a little less BUT grip like no other so puts pressure on the rear sprocket. Vortex rear or oem rear work while all the other rear sprockets fail the met rr tire. lol. I'm serious. Race driven sprocket failed at 800 miles and JHS whatever not much better. Vortex's are feeling the met rr but holding. That tire grips and mocks everyone else.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Bridgestone S21, pirelli rosso 3 (not rossi lol), Michelin RS, and Dunlop q3+ (not original q3) should all be fantastic street tires that last longer than the rs10's, but still grip well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lmao i meant rosso but the "i" so close to the "o" didnt catch it. You may want to add the rosso III to that list of long lasting tires. On my second road trip just hit nyc from ga stopped in north carolina did some runs and now in bronx for a week. Rear tire is a champ and what do you know therws no rain lol.bike still running strong at 7200mi in 2months completed 6th oil change i usually go for motorex but had to settle for amsoil this cycle.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Man you are nuts riding a zx10 across the country like that haha. I hate riding mine more than 25 miles. Well really, I hate riding mine on the street period. I didn't realize what a waste it was until I got heavy into track riding. Now I ride my gsxs1000 on the street and zx10 sits in the garage until track days or once in a blue moon I take it out on the street with the dunlop slicks on it (my rear tire is the same tire as the dot legal gpa-pro just without tread cut out). And it's bi directional. So FYI if anyone wants the stickiest street legal tires (I know the other side of the spectrum from what we have been discussing) the gpa-pro is it.

http://stores.racetireservice.com/DUNLOP-SLICK-KR448KR451-SET-120-200/

http://stores.racetireservice.com/GPA-PRO-SET-120-190/

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When i left Tennessee last weekend i pushed the whole ride from Nashville cause of the rain. The trip here i stopped in NC for a day to hang with my brother then pushed 8hrs here. Seat only thing makes the ride rough i strap my bag to the rear seat and lean back every now and then.hips cramp up some from peg position but rearset on order soon as i get bk...and front tire

·
Registered
569 Posts
Man you guys are tuff, good on yah! I know if I were doing rides like that i'd be on a fjr or connie. My thinking is like this. I have a push lawn mower that is self propelled, but that doesn't mean i will go cut a 5 acre field with it just because it will work for that purpose. Especially because there are larger mowers designed and more suited for that type of work. But to each his own. If you only have one bike you ride what you got!

·
Registered
569 Posts
You should be riding whatever bike you want. I simply said, I wouldn't be doing long rides like that on a superbike because it doesn't make any sense to me. I went from Florida to Austin, Texas (Cota motogp) and drove my wife's 2015 Honda Civic SI. I could have ridden the zx10 or GSX-S1000 but it would have been miserable. 16 hours on I-10, no thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts