Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

So I finally got to the track for the first time this year. Had a blast on my gen4! I actually had the traction control working for a change and used the bike to its full potential.

I enjoyed it so much that I cant wait to get back for the next one, problem is I know I will be coming off sometime.. Touch wood, but its bound to happen.

My bike is my pride and joy like many others on here, everything is perfect and I have pushed a lot of cash into it.

It sleeps in my lounge and gets washed and detailed more than it gets ridden. Issue is I am at the point where I really want to use it for what its made for, although I feel guilty at the thought of taking the only thing I own to the track, knowing I will be pushing harder than I would on a public road and having the chances off falling increased drastically.

Not too worried about hurting myself but more my baby :2bitchslap:

So I have two options:

1. Buy a track bike, something like an 08 Fireblade or GSXR in track trim for 6k, and use it for the track every once or twice a month.

2. Get a set of track fairings and necessary crash protection for my gen 4 for around 1- 1.5k.

I would have to change between track and road trim as the track days come and go..

Anyone done this, currently doing this? If so please share. I am really stuck with this one, cant decide what to do.

I wont be racing this year, only track days for now. If I really get into it ill race next year.

When I sold my previous racebike I didn't even get half of what I spent on it, and it was in an immaculate condition. I don't know if its just around here put the first thing people ask is if it can be "put" back on the road. So I am also doubting that route as ill be dropping a lot of cash into the bike and never getting it back :headshake:

All input and advice appreciated!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I have done both. Having a second bike a lot more convenient but more expensive to mod two bikes. I am currently switching my 2008 ZX10r back forth between the two. I also bought a second set of wheels so I can run slicks on the track. I just bought a 2013 zx10r that will be a hybrid track/street bike but I haven't even ridden the bike since I tore it down the first day I owned it. I'm mounting a custom light on track fairings and keeping the stock tail.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hey guys

So I finally got to the track for the first time this year. Had a blast on my gen4! I actually had the traction control working for a change and used the bike to its full potential.

I enjoyed it so much that I cant wait to get back for the next one, problem is I know I will be coming off sometime.. Touch wood, but its bound to happen.

My bike is my pride and joy like many others on here, everything is perfect and I have pushed a lot of cash into it.

It sleeps in my lounge and gets washed and detailed more than it gets ridden. Issue is I am at the point where I really want to use it for what its made for, although I feel guilty at the thought of taking the only thing I own to the track, knowing I will be pushing harder than I would on a public road and having the chances off falling increased drastically.

Not too worried about hurting myself but more my baby :2bitchslap:

So I have two options:

1. Buy a track bike, something like an 08 Fireblade or GSXR in track trim for 6k, and use it for the track every once or twice a month.

2. Get a set of track fairings and necessary crash protection for my gen 4 for around 1- 1.5k.

I would have to change between track and road trim as the track days come and go..

Anyone done this, currently doing this? If so please share. I am really stuck with this one, cant decide what to do.

I wont be racing this year, only track days for now. If I really get into it ill race next year.

When I sold my previous racebike I didn't even get half of what I spent on it, and it was in an immaculate condition. I don't know if its just around here put the first thing people ask is if it can be "put" back on the road. So I am also doubting that route as ill be dropping a lot of cash into the bike and never getting it back :headshake:

All input and advice appreciated!
You got your priorities backwards.

Your bike can be replaced. You can't. Protect yourself. Be mentally and physically fit and use the best possible riding gear.

Get with a good riding coach. It takes years to learn to ride well so take yer time.

Having a separate track bike is a great idea if it's practical but why not humble yourself and buy a 600? Your learning curve will come along a lot faster. Or you can wrestle with the 1000.

You're never gonna get much money back out of a Japanese sportbike so don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have a track bike which is nice if you can do that. When I take my mostly street ridden Gen 4. I dial it down some. Track days are not about riding on the edge. Its more about having fun and being able to ride fast without having to worry about all the brain dead cage drivers. You don't have to push the limits. If your a racer boy then sure your looking to improve your lap times and the risk of crashing is higher. If your just riding your street bike then find a comfort zone and try not to push beyond it. There's no trophy or umbrella girl to give you a sloppy kiss on the podium. If you crash at track day all you have is a big parts bill. My 2 cents worth but thats what I do.

·
Chairman of the Board
15,998 Posts
I have an incredibly nice GSX-R750 all set up I will part with at a very reasonable price. See avatar for action shot.
:grin2:
Seriously, if you can do two I would recommend that. Its so much easier. To be honest if I were closer to a track like Jennings thats open all the time I wouldnt even own a street bike. I would pour all my funds into a track weapon.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I have an incredibly nice GSX-R750 all set up I will part with at a very reasonable price. See avatar for action shot.
Seriously, if you can do two I would recommend that. Its so much easier. To be honest if I were closer to a track like Jennings thats open all the time I wouldnt even own a street bike. I would pour all my funds into a track weapon.
How much?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Gixxer 750, ultimate track bike for the experienced rider. We don't need no stinking electronics:crackup: What Gen?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You got your priorities backwards.

Your bike can be replaced. You can't. Protect yourself. Be mentally and physically fit and use the best possible riding gear.

Get with a good riding coach. It takes years to learn to ride well so take yer time.

Having a separate track bike is a great idea if it's practical but why not humble yourself and buy a 600? Your learning curve will come along a lot faster. Or you can wrestle with the 1000.

You're never gonna get much money back out of a Japanese sportbike so don't worry about it.
I suppose the feeling of being invincible comes a lot easier the younger you are.. I get what your saying though, my mom keeps telling me the same thing.
My gear is good and I am mentally and physically healthy so that's taken care of.

I guess you are right about the 600 and I agree that it will be a lot easier to learn on, the thing is I really liked wrestling with my 1000. It was the most fun I had on any of my 1000s ever.

I guess what really concerns me is the fact that I have a good strong bike that I am not using to its potential, not saying that I am using all the power that's there, but I am a lot closer to it than I would be riding my usual loop.

For example, I was talking to someone who had just bought the new r1 and we were looking at the electronics and riding aids the bike has, and its insane! It is like having a computer on board, literally everything can be adjusted the way you want. First thing that came to mind was: I want this! :crackup:

Then I asked myself where I would be using all these aids unless I am at the track pushing really hard and where the would come in handy?

I am no Marquez and this bike would be an overkill unless you were actually able to use it.

Thanks for your input, its greatly appreciated and ill be sure to make good use of it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a track bike which is nice if you can do that. When I take my mostly street ridden Gen 4. I dial it down some. Track days are not about riding on the edge. Its more about having fun and being able to ride fast without having to worry about all the brain dead cage drivers. You don't have to push the limits. If your a racer boy then sure your looking to improve your lap times and the risk of crashing is higher. If your just riding your street bike then find a comfort zone and try not to push beyond it. There's no trophy or umbrella girl to give you a sloppy kiss on the podium. If you crash at track day all you have is a big parts bill. My 2 cents worth but thats what I do.
I guess I could do that, It will be a bit more money out of my pocket but its doable, I think I am looking for the cheaper option. Might only be the cheaper of the two for now, and not in the long run?

I agree with the fact that its a safer environment to ride, not having to worry about the brain dead cage drivers as you call them :crackup:

Although the way I see it is, when I am riding the streets I am in my comfort zone, because I always ride responsibly. Never taking the risks I would on the track.

Sure there's no podium girl or trophy awaiting me but there is a great feeling of satisfaction when I know my lap time was quicker than the previous or I was faster in that corner than the last time.

For me, personally going to the track means doing what I can't on the roads and going as fast as I can. And sure I am on the edge, at least my edge.. That's why I go there, not necessarily everyone, just me.

Its big parts bill that's worrying me..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha I wish that was an option, but I can guarantee South Africa is very far from where you are at! :headshake:

The GSXR 750, ultimate track weapon. I've always wanted one and it is definitely the best bike to play with on the track. Only problem is they only race 600 and 1000 class so if I were to race next year I would be stuck.

So it has to be a 600 or 1000cc.

I had the same problem when I raced my VFR NC30, I had to race in the powersports class and I didn't like it. It just felt weird. You compete with the other 400s but you have all sorts of other bikes in there and it was just not for me.

Sounds like most people would rather have a separate bike just for the track.

Any ideas on switching between track and road fairings though?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I suppose the feeling of being invincible comes a lot easier the younger you are.. I get what your saying though, my mom keeps telling me the same thing.
My gear is good and I am mentally and physically healthy so that's taken care of.

I guess you are right about the 600 and I agree that it will be a lot easier to learn on, the thing is I really liked wrestling with my 1000. It was the most fun I had on any of my 1000s ever.

I guess what really concerns me is the fact that I have a good strong bike that I am not using to its potential, not saying that I am using all the power that's there, but I am a lot closer to it than I would be riding my usual loop.

For example, I was talking to someone who had just bought the new r1 and we were looking at the electronics and riding aids the bike has, and its insane! It is like having a computer on board, literally everything can be adjusted the way you want. First thing that came to mind was: I want this! :crackup:

Then I asked myself where I would be using all these aids unless I am at the track pushing really hard and where the would come in handy?

I am no Marquez and this bike would be an overkill unless you were actually able to use it.

Thanks for your input, its greatly appreciated and ill be sure to make good use of it.
All you say is right. Gen 4 has enormous potential and even though a bike like a GSX-R 750 or even 600 would likely turn faster lap times (certainly could pull higher cornering speeds) the grunt of an open-class bike is in a class by itself.

I felt the same way about the R1 but decided against it and now the dust has settled I'm glad of it. Those electronics complicate things and take a long time to get dialed in. Also they are not well-sorted at this stage of sportbike development, still a little glitchy.

I'd say the Gen 4 gives you good feel with an effective electronics package which can be turned off if desired.

Heck if I was to be in your position I would, seriously, buy a KTM RC390. Cheap, easy to set up for the track, and you will learn to corner. Really.

·
Chairman of the Board
15,998 Posts
Haha I wish that was an option, but I can guarantee South Africa is very far from where you are at! :headshake:

The GSXR 750, ultimate track weapon. I've always wanted one and it is definitely the best bike to play with on the track. Only problem is they only race 600 and 1000 class so if I were to race next year I would be stuck.

So it has to be a 600 or 1000cc.

I had the same problem when I raced my VFR NC30, I had to race in the powersports class and I didn't like it. It just felt weird. You compete with the other 400s but you have all sorts of other bikes in there and it was just not for me.

Sounds like most people would rather have a separate bike just for the track.

Any ideas on switching between track and road fairings though?
I switched back and forth for a while. It just became such a pain to me personally. Everyone is different and some folks may not mind it but taking all the lights off. Dealing with all the wires and bolts. Its a hassle and added a big chunk of time and energy that I really didnt have to spare. The cost savings in a crash certainly pays off though. Crash in street trim and it can cost some serious cha-ching. Crash in race skins and fix em with duct tape if you want to. No big deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts