Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

RK or Carrozzeria Wheels?

9K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  GlassAnkles 
#1 ·
Im looking to upgrade the look of my Gen4 and want to add some wheels to her. Ive been trying to compare the two wheels as in weight but cant find the actual weight of my stock wheels and what the weight savings in. I work at a dealership and can get a good deal on either of these just trying to choose between them. Anyone had any experience with either of these wheels or enlighten me on our wheel weight? Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
If you want to save weight then go for the Marchesini Forged Mags or BST Carbons.

Also keep in mind that it is not just the wheel weight, but where that weight is situated that affects the gyroscopic precession of the rotating wheel. You can actually have a wheel that is lighter than another wheel, but still performs worse because more of the weight is towards the outer rim instead of being centered towards the hub. If you are just chasing aesthetics then it really doesn't matter, but if you really want the performance aspect then there is a little more to consider with your purchase.

I personally will not use or sell Carroz wheels after all the bearing failures they had. Any manufacturer that tells their customers to use half the recommended torque values to keep from disintegrating wheel bearings because they cannot figure out proper spacer and bearing tolerances is not a product I want to trust my life or anyone else's with.

#4 ·
That definitely makes sense. Im just kind of weighing the options between the looks and weight. I like the RK looks better but if the carroz are quite a bit lighter it might swing me more that way. The march wheels are just so expensive. Im able to pick up some RK wheels for around 1100 so thats why Im really considering them.

#7 ·
I have a used set of marchesini mags and a set of bsts. I'd probably part with a set for the right price. Both have ceramic bearings marchesinis have free float braking rotors bsts have none they came off a gen 3 and the marchesinis were on a gen 4 a well. Not sure if they will work on a gen 2

#10 ·
I just picked up a set of Carrozzerias. I did some research about the bearing failures. On their website they advertise the wheels as coming with "high quality Japanese wheel bearings". They also say to use their torque specs. They claim that the majority of failures are due to not using their specifications. I am planning on using the recommended torque specs for now on the "oem" bearings and ordering some ceramic bearings down the line to replace them.

Attachments

#11 ·
Having owned a set of Tri-R wheels for my Gen4, I'm with some of these other guys recommending Magnesium or CF. I honestly could not tell a difference in performance between the Tri-R forged alum and OEM.

Also, if you read the link that was posted by Whatarush a few posts down, you'll see this in the comments at the bottom. The fact that Brock's no longer sells them says a lot right there IMO.

Angel (December 25/2013)
Where is the carrozzeria wheel no testing on that.

Brock (December 26/2013)
Angel, You would have to direct your comment directly to PS Magazine. Our in-house dragstrip testing in 2008 showed them to perform worse than stock, so we stopped offering them.

#12 ·
Total mass comparison.

Gen4 OEM

Front: 8.88 lb
Rear: 14.32 lb

Tri-R

Front: 7.89 lb
Rear: 12.88 lb

Attachments

#14 ·
If I had my time again I wouldn't bother with Carrozzeria... they look OK.. but nothing flash and there is no performance advantage in them. I Wish I have PVM or OZ or Marchesini..

As for the RK, at the time of when I was looking I really liked the look of the RK but none were available for the Gen4... Can't comment on the weight of them obviously.

#17 ·
I emailed RK to check on the gen 4 application over the weekend. For some reason i am interested in them over the OZ's...and i think its because i could just PM mike at Riders Discount to order them :mrgreen:

Reply:
Our Pro Series Sportbike Wheelset is going to expand to different models. Our R&D Department has been doing testing on a few new models and with your Gen. 4 Kawasaki ZX-10R. I think they are waiting for the 2015 so they can test the wheelset modifications on that so hopefully soon we can have the correct parts for your bike.

Best Regards,

Cole Anderson
Sales Representative/Racer Support
RK Excel America Inc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.