Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i just noticed my front wheel rim is slightly bent..
Im going to change tires at mechanic soon, i paid him 1700 already for 2 new fairings oil change, fork seal, and exhaust hangers(were missing)..s
Im kinda broke, student, do u guys he will charge me extra for straighening the wheel and how much u guys think it could be, and can regular motorcycle mechanic do it?
here is picture

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
A search for motorcycle wheel repair. If none in your area you can ship. Motorcycle salvage, also, and they'll ship if none in your area.

·
Registered
707 Posts
No, a regular mechanic can't straighten a wheel properly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
slightly bent? ? Do you really not remember hitting something that hard? I don't know about any of these other peeps but I'd look for another wheel. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You absolutely need to replace your rim, be it new, used, or from a salvage bike.

Question is though, how do you know if a used or salvaged rim has been straightened? I don't know.

·
Registered
707 Posts
When you drop your wheel off for repair, bring the axle with you. They'll need it for the repair process.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You absolutely need to replace your rim, be it new, used, or from a salvage bike.

Question is though, how do you know if a used or salvaged rim has been straightened? I don't know.
Can u explain why?
It didnt get damaged in center, only the edge..

to other guy i dont know what did i hit.. awkwardly, i am guessing it was on freeway, i was riding like 60-70, and i went over something because cars crashed in front of me.. idk what but ive heard loud bang under my bike, i stopped did a quick check didnt notice anything(this was at night, 4am morning).. so i am guessing thats when i happened
I still ride my bike 50miles everyday. my only transportation to school and work, so i guess if they straighten it out and balance it i wont feel anything...
so please at least explain me why i abosolutely need it and do u have any mechanic or bike fixing experience at all?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not trying to be rude but hate that on forums its usually some amateurs that give wrong advices..
Also im student from Europe here, no parents or anyone, kinda sucks that im working studying dont have a lot of money to waste..
However i love my bike and i like to take care of it, so it would be nice if someone with experience would check this topic out

·
Registered
707 Posts
You can easily tell if a wheel is bent or warped if it's spun without a tire in your fork, on a static balancer or a balancing machine. You won't need any fancy measuring tool etc. The naked eye works very, very well for this. A moderately bent lip will even be obvious if spun with a tire on. Any out of round will be readily apparent from the side while it's spinning and like wise if the wheel is out of true it'll be readily apparent when it's spun and you look down from above. Obviously dismounting the tire is a pain, but it allows you to judge the alignment of the wheel with confidence. There's also nothing wrong with a professional wheel repair. A good wheel repair shop will restore the balance and alignment of the wheel and repaint it with perfection. If the wheel is beyond repair then the shop will inform you before starting and you're no worse off and can proceed with a search for fresh wheel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zxc

You can easily tell if a wheel is bent or warped if it's spun without a tire in your fork, on a static balancer or a balancing machine. You won't need any fancy measuring tool etc. The naked eye works very, very well for this. A moderately bent lip will even be obvious if spun with a tire on. Any out of round will be readily apparent from the side while it's spinning and like wise if the wheel is out of true it'll be readily apparent when it's spun and you look down from above. Obviously dismounting the tire is a pain, but it allows you to judge the alignment of the wheel with confidence. There's also nothing wrong with a professional wheel repair. A good wheel repair shop will restore the balance and alignment of the wheel and repaint it with perfection. If the wheel is beyond repair then the shop will inform you before starting and you're no worse off and can proceed with a search for fresh wheel.
thank u for you respond, i have mechanic sharing the same opinion as yours...
"Good" thing is day before i noticed bent rim, I've ordered new pilot road's 4. So i'll change my tires this weekend anyway..
Sucky part is that i cant stay without my bike for long, only transporation i have,, well actually i have FZ1 2002 in really bad condition, but hopefully will get me thru the weekend :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
There are plenty of Gen 1 to 3 wheels available, and usually for less than what it costs to straighten your current wheel.
I've seen them for as little as $150 USD on e-bay.
I suggest buying a good used one and try to see it in person so you can check for damage, roundness and trueness.
The reason I'm suggesting you replace is because your bearings could have been damaged when you hit the object that damaged your wheel.

I'd rather have a wheel with normal wear on the bearings than one that might have damage.

Sometimes, bearings will give you lots of warning, and other times, they might fail within a very short period of time.
You don't want that happening at 120k/hr.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not trying to be rude but hate that on forums its usually some amateurs that give wrong advices..
Also im student from Europe here, no parents or anyone, kinda sucks that im working studying dont have a lot of money to waste..
However i love my bike and i like to take care of it, so it would be nice if someone with experience would check this topic out
I hate on forums when someone starts a thread asking for advice, gets responses, then replies to multiple responders in the same post not clearly identifying who they're replying to, all while deciding for themselves who the amateurs are when they clearly have no idea what to do themselves. Isn't that why you posted? You wanted advice, correct?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts