Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I checked all my cables and I'm pretty sure that I don't have a twist in one of the cables.

I actually think that I need more cable slack because when I don't fully lock (90%) the two screws of the throttle housing, then my throttle feels perfect....

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
damn, that is the exact way I check for insufficient cable slack. Back the screws in the housing out just a little and see if it works.

yes, go under the tank and do the modification on the other adjuster...

you have the record for stingy on the cable slack...

most who have a problem, only need to modify one adjustor,and then only take off about 3/8ths of an inch (about 3) threads)

you are very close to getting this done... keep at it. It's worth it with the way the bike will feel.

I checked all my cables and I'm pretty sure that I don't have a twist in one of the cables.

I actually think that I need more cable slack because when I don't fully lock (90%) the two screws of the throttle housing, then my throttle feels perfect....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I removed the locking washer and tightened the adjuster below the airbox.

Now my throttle feels perfect with the throttle housing screws 95% locked.... :lol: (this includes the throttle housing dust cover 95% locked)

So, 5% to go I guess. :thumbsup:

Time to dremel the adjuster a little shorter? Or is this impossible?

I included a picture, maybe you see something out of the ordinary....

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
I actually bought mine for my Gen2 a few weeks ago but installed this weekend. I actually had to trim a little out of the throttle housing itself. I had plenty of slack after cutting the adjusters but could see at mark where the acceleration cable was rubbing the housing. Could see a little line. Used my dremel and perfect now. Yours might be doing the same.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I finally got it to work!

• I've cut off both the locking washers
  • I've cut off 50-70% of both the adjusters
  • I used the dremel on the white lines in the throttle housing to create more space
  • I removed like 3 mm of the rubber grip (on the outside)
For some reason, the rubber was preventing the throttle to return from WOT...

I haven't really had a chance to test the 1/5th but I will next week! Im heading to The Eifel, Germany.

Thanks for helping me guys!

Attachments

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
good good good, glad this is sorted, this is the problem with trouble shooting from miles away but glad it was figured out and works properly.

I did find that my calipers on my lathe were not exactly correct. I have been making inserts that are slightly larger then they should be. need to check everything from time to time, and this was a good time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Need to get right

I installed mines today, but I get no deceleration the throttle sticks like cruise control. I followed the thread step by step went to lowes got a dremmel kit (53 bucks). I can tell what the difference is and will be when right, so if this is a ? in your head best 25 dollars you can spend on your toy. :notworthy to rifleman.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Great mod. I had to cut screw and 40-50mm thread as well as cut some of the throttle grip (Gen1) but working perfectly.

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
Just got done doing mine. Was hoping I would not have to get under the tank, but had to. I find removing the tank a pain...and the airbox. By the way, the tank can be removed without losing fuel. Saw in the write up that it was mentioned one can leave it connected to not lose fuel, but it won't happen when you pull the hose.

I am curious about those two little hoses (the ones with the blue stripe and red stripe) because my other gen 1 does not have them. Noticed when I changed the filter it did not even have a spot on the tank for them.

Anyway, everything is fully functional. Going to go try it out after I get some sleep.

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
Went and rode this morning after the mod. I have not noticed much of a profound difference as others noted. I'm wondering if it would be more noticeable on my stock hgen 1.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Last minute order to get one for my drag race tomorrow. What great customer service...got it in time. Went in super easy... Thank god for the Dremel.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi All

Need some clarification rather than how to install, since the information found around is very helpfull, thumbs up for all of you have contributed.

I was thinking to put it on my 10 08 track bike. Current setup is still standard and I use a lot the mid high range part of the throttle especially 2, 3 gear mainly due to track layout reason. ( short track lot of left to right, ideally a 600 track I would say )

My questions are, with this mod will I loose current sensitivety, ok I understand that I have to dose better the wrist movement, and the second one, if I have to revert back to the standard diameter while I am at the track by removing the insert, can i still do it, since I will be removing those 2 tabs from the housing, will the cable sill work fine?

Thanks guys for all the support.

best regards

Jo

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You can buy an R6 throttle tube for $14 and acheive the same thing. I'm not comfortable with homemade diy mods to my throttle. I didn't have to cut anything on my Gen 4 except for the throttle housing

·
Registered
302 Posts
You can buy an R6 throttle tube for $14 and acheive the same thing. I'm not comfortable with homemade diy mods to my throttle. I didn't have to cut anything on my Gen 4 except for the throttle housing
Hi bun1t

so if I have understood well you will still get the quick action with the R6 one , is there a specific year that I have to get for the my 08 model ?

and also you still have to modify the throttle housing correct , that is removing those 2 tubs.

Thanks
Jo

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hi bun1t

so if I have understood well you will still get the quick action with the R6 one , is there a specific year that I have to get for the my 08 model ?

and also you still have to modify the throttle housing correct , that is removing those 2 tubs.

Thanks
Jo
This is the Yamaha part # 2C0-26240-00-00

All I had to do was shave the tabs in the throttle housing and adjust the cables at the throttle.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Big thumbs UP to Riffleman. I received my inset that I won 2 weeks ago. Now I have a reason to take my bike apart and hide in the garage for a day this weekend.:thumbsup::mrgreen:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Anyone try the R6 throttle tube on the Gen4 ZX10? I had it on my 09 ZX6R and it worked with 0 modification to the housings.
PN 2C0-26240-00-00

Ok so I looked up the throttle grip assembly part number for my 09 ZX6R and my 14 ZX10R ABS and the part numbers are indeed identical. So theoretically the R6 throttle tube should also work with any modifications aside from the throttle cable adjustment.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Anyone try the R6 throttle tube on the Gen4 ZX10? I had it on my 09 ZX6R and it worked with 0 modification to the housings.
PN 2C0-26240-00-00

Ok so I looked up the throttle grip assembly part number for my 09 ZX6R and my 14 ZX10R ABS and the part numbers are indeed identical. So theoretically the R6 throttle tube should also work with any modifications aside from the throttle cable adjustment.
Yes, Kawasaki used the 46019-0001 throttle grip on all the ZX-10R's all the 14R's, most of the 636's, the 6R and the 6RR's

but as I've said in the past the R6 grip only reduces the throw about 10' degrees. Stock is 90' degrees, with the R6 grip it's about 80' degrees, with my 1/5th it's 72' degrees.

the other thing is that the R6 grip is about 1/2 an inch shorter then the Kawi grip so there is a visible gap between the grip and the bar end weight.

the rubber is also different so your grips are mismatched or you need to get the matching rubber for the other side.

this is a great mod for a track bike where you aren't worried about the gap or grip mismatch.

If you want your 10R to keep it's factory look but upgrade the throttle response, the insert is the way to go.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts