Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
what is the lever right next to the grip almost looks like a thumb throttle
It is a throttle lock for my long rides. If I get a cramp in my hand I can lock it and stretch without losing speed.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Awesome pics. alot of this process applies to the Gen2 also. i did not have to go under the tank when doing mine. i also did not have to cut the threads or nuts off, it just all fit. however i decided to, because the throttle was a little to tight for my liking. so i did and its great! just be careful not to cut your cables! and you will 95% have to cut the threads. and without a dremel or power tool of some sort. dont bother trying this. save the headache! the dremel cost 100 bucks. and you will use it more than just for this task!

·
Registered
25 Posts
nice tuto! I just did the mod on my first gen and I had to cut the two nut and some thread (like the tuto said). The throttle is going very well but I didnt had the chance to try it :(

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
the only differences I've found so far is that

1. the cable tension adjuster(s) will be in different places on different Gens. some have both up by the clip ons, some have one up by the clip on and one under the tank...

2. Gen 4's have a plastic grip housing, the gen 1 - 3 that housing is made of aluminum. Makes the removal of the little internal tabs a bit easier on the Gen 4's.

other then that, the install, the function, theory of operation... all the same.

takes me 10 minutes to do the install if I don't have to mod an adjuster, half an hour if I do.

Absolutely a great Saturday project.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Going to attempt to do mine on the cbr this weekend. Hopefully it goes smooth.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Btw Rifleman, I sent you a PM when I got mine but your box is full so it wouldn't let me sendyou the message.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
sounds good, got the box cleaned out, but it fills quickly... guess that's a good problem to have *S*

good luck on the weekend install... I'm sure it will go smooth and your face will need some extra space for all the grinnin' you will be doing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Now on to the cable modifications, let’s start with the acceleration cable on the passenger side of the bike, right above the radiator. Just take some dikes and carefully cut the locking washer off and unscrew the two pieces apart.

Then you will need your Dremel again with a cutoff wheel and be very careful again. This time you can get real close to cutting the actual cable. Just take your time. I cut off about 1/4th inch
Do I have to do this? Or this also like the deceleration cable? As in, different for every bike...... I'm confused :confused:

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
about 80% of the bikes don't need to modify the adjustor(s)

if you can't get enough cable slack with the cable housing/adjustors in the OEM config then one of them must be modified in this way.

it makes no difference which one... either will give you the 3/8ths of an inch extra slack... so pick the one that is most ease to access.

hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions, I'll get you through it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I cut the acceleration cable pretty far off now.... I honestly thought that this would be enough, after cutting more off twice.

There's no gap in the housing but my throttle is slow to return from WOT and it feels too heavy. Is it possible that I have to cut even more off?

The acceleration cable is on top of the throttlehousing right?

Sorry for the spam but this is mechanically a little out of my comfort zone :wink:

Attachments

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
no problem, I'll work with you until it works.

yes, way short, you certainly don't need to take any more off.

Yes, the accell cable comes in the front/top... when you twist you are pulling that cable, so it has to be the one that goes to the front/top of the grip.

I'm going to say disconnect the cables and just assemble the grip and housing and see that it moves with no sticky... If it moves smooth and silky, not the problem.

then pull the cables by hand and see that they move with no stickiness...

we need to narrow it down to where the problem is to come up with the fix.

keep posting here and let us know what is working and what isn't.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The grip and the housing move smoooth and silky with the cables disconnected.

The cables move with no stickiness.

Maybe I should just adjust the decel cable under the tank?

Thanks for helping me!:eek:ccasion1

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
I can't think that you need more cable slack with as short as that adjuster is.

I'd recommend putting the housing back together and just holding it with your hand, while twisting the throttle and see if you can find where it's binding...

I did once hear of a guy who had trouble because...

1. had a good bit of extra slack dialed in..

2. had a twist in the cable when installing it back into the grip...

what happened is when he would accel, the de-accel cable would slack up and because it was twisted it would move over and fall off the edge of the insert... then it would get wedged between the insert and the grip...

if both sides are working well... where they come together must be the source of the trouble.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts